Logging A Ftf.....

Here's the situation.

Newby cacher hides a cache, but gets the co-ordinates wrong and cache size wrong (no name no pack drill). On the day it goes live three of us try and find it but with no luck (one team go twice). Cache hider then disables the cache to re-do the co-ordinates.

Today I happen to have some time in the general area and armed with the hint find the cache. I sign the log book (don't want to have to go back again).

I have emailed cache hider co-ordinates, advice on size - and asked him to check again himself. He's a young lad so I don't want to put him off.

Here's some questions:

Is it fair to the other cachers to log this as a FTF - only I was looking for it!!!

Should I email the other cachers my co-ordinates?

Should I wait until it goes live again -and either post a find, or find again?

Or am I taking FTF racing too seriously?

Here's the situation.

Newby cacher hides a cache, but gets the co-ordinates wrong and cache size wrong (no name no pack drill). On the day it goes live three of us try and find it but with no luck (one team go twice). Cache hider then disables the cache to re-do the co-ordinates.

Today I happen to have some time in the general area and armed with the hint find the cache. I sign the log book (don't want to have to go back again).

I have emailed cache hider co-ordinates, advice on size - and asked him to check again himself. He's a young lad so I don't want to put him off.

Here's some questions:

Is it fair to the other cachers to log this as a FTF - only I was looking for it!!!

If they found it and it is disabled, even if all the info given is incorrect then it is a fair FTF, probably more deserved FTF as they would have worked harder to find it!

Moote

Seems fair enough to claim the FTF ;)

Post your co-ords along with your log on the web page. That way everyone will see them. Click the "Add a waypoint to the log" box and you will be able to enter them in bold text at the top of your log. <_<

1. Yes definitely - the other cachers had the same opportunity as you

2. If you want to, but personally I'd wait until the cache placer amends his/her coords - he/she might relocate it?

3. Not necessary - you found it 1st time around - done!

4. Maybe? - You used your initiative to find the cache, so I think you deserve the FTF

Jon

<_<

The only thing that I think is important is that the cache had been published so was available to be hunted. The fact that the coordinates were out is irrelevant - there are plenty of caches out there that have never had their coordinates corrected and people find them every day. The fact tha tthe cache was disabled doesn't mean anything in my view, unless the owner had disabled it to stop people from finding it, for example because of a local danger. If the setter is happy, log it.

I agree, found fair and square even with some extra hunting and perseverance.

I'd also say as it's a novice then advise him gently to help get it right so he'll know better for the next ones.

I remember what I was like with my first cache going wild, talk about a mother hen lololol. I even had some local advice and support to help me.

Thanks everyone - I have logged the find, and claimed the FTF.

The owner has updated the co-ordinates and re-activated the cache anyway. I also sent him an e-mail offering help. Roll on his next cache as he only lives arround the corner from me.

FTF don't you love them - nurse my medication please.