Help On First Gps Purchase-plain English Please!

Now hold on. Let's find out what Steve wants to do with his GPS receiver before recommending receivers that cost well over $300. Does he want to use it for car navigation, getting directions from one place to another? Does he want to use street and topo maps, which add to the overall cost? Does he really need a thermometer, barometer, and electronic compass in his GPS receiver? How much does he want to spend?

The Legend is a very popular GPS receiver and will definitely work for geocaching. But if you want to use any maps on your receiver, you should probably consider one with more memory and probably a color screen.

The Garmin GPSmap 60CSx mentioned by Scorpion King is good, with expandable memory and good reception, but you could save a few bucks by getting the GPSmap 60Cx. The 60Cx lacks the barometer, altimeter, and magnetic compass.

I like Magellan's eXplorist line, but you'll be in trouble if you ever need the company's customer support. It sounds pretty lackluster compared to Garmin's. However, the eXplorists are cheaper than the 60Cx/CSx.

Firstly,thanks for replying.

I intend to use the gps for geocaching and hiking,mainly in England,but possibly abroad when on holiday.

My budget is around $300 dollars or up to around £180. As a guide i can buy a new e-trex legend for £121 on Amazon,sorry i'm not really into exchange rates!

If you want Garmin, the Venture Cx is the best bang for the buck. It is a Legend Cx without the card and cable. You can buy the card and cable yourself much cheaper.

The 60Cx is a lot more expensive but gets you: Slightly better reception, slightly larger screen, serial transfer option, external antenna option.

Does your $300 budget include maps? Maps add a lot to the overall cost (especially in Europe) and you should keep that in mind.

The Legend is a very popular unit, with lots of bang for your buck (or lots of pop for your pound, or something). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a very functional unit. It doesn't have lots of bells and whistles, but it is a step above the cheap entry level units.

The Megellan counterpart, if you want to compare, is probably the Explorist 210. It is also a solid well regarded unit, but sells for a bit more.

Just go get a Garmin Foretrex 101 and a $12 magnetic compass. You won't then have to buy any additional software to load into your unit. For hiking and geocaching, this is all you need. Then, you won't be sorry for spending the extra $100 on mapping software that is one fourth the detail of good paper maps anyway. I have several GPS units, up to and including color mapping, talking units. For off road hiking, the Foretrex is the unit I always grab!

If you've been using a Legend and you're comfortable with it, then get a Legend. I have a Magellan, and have owned two Garmins, but I'm not rabidly loyal to either. The Legend is a fine unit, and there's no reason to learn a new GPS's controls if your already comfortable with what you've been using.

I'm also a little confused - do i need a electronic compass to find caches? Can I download the wap points to the etrex legend?

You don't need one to find caches.

All it will do for you is that when the compass is on your GPS will point the right direction when you are stopped. If you don't have one you have to take a couple of steps before It can figure out which direction you are faced and point you the right way.

You can donwload waypoints to most GPSs as long as you have a computer cable. The legend has a computer cable available (I think it comes with one).

The GPSs that don't let you connect to a computer (that I know of) are:

The Gecko 101.

The Magellan explorist 100, 200, and 300.

There are a few others but most Garmins and Magellans do connect.

I've just ordered a Vista C.

I decided against the black and white Legend since I read it was old and slow.

The black and white Vista is only a couple of pounds cheaper than the Vista C on Amazon, so that's a no brainer. The Vista C is £33 more expensive than the Legend C but I decided I wanted the electronic compass to avoid having to keep walking backwards and forwards to get a bearing direction.

Like you I was tempted by the GPS 60 at just £111 but I wanted the compass, colour screen, and mapping so ended up spending almost double :ph34r:

Finally decided on the legend,but i'm quite sure someone will tell me i've made the wrong decision!

Another point i noticed whilst seaching amazon for a unit,if you go on to the american version of amazon model numbers seem to be slightly different to their british counterparts,confusing the issue even more!

i'm quite sure someone will tell me i've made the wrong decision!

Steve, you've definitely made the correct decision. Based on your budget and needs the legend is the way to go. I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensly.

i'm quite sure someone will tell me i've made the wrong decision!

Steve, you've definitely made the correct decision. Based on your budget and needs the legend is the way to go. I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensly.

Ditto.

To the OP.

The legend works just fine, holds 1000 waypoints and has mapping ability. It will work well for you for a long time. If you do decide to upgrade you will know enough from using the legend to know exactly what you want to upgrade to. Plus the GPS is good enough you may never choose to upgrade.