Pda's And Garmin 60cx

Are there any PDA's on the market that can run GPS autoroute mapping/software and be connected to a 60cx for position input?

Blackberry, Palm, iPAQ? I have noticed that several have the mini-USB connector. Next problem would be a cable with mini-USB connectors on each end.

USB is probably going to be problematic; you'd first need a PDA that can be a USB host (not many); then you'd need enough of a driver to talk to the GPS for realtime location data. The serial port may work with the correct PDA and software. Someone who's more familiar with PDA GPS software might be able to help you. The bigger question: why do you want to do this? You can either a) run CS/CN on the 60cx and autoroute that way, or :) use a PDA/GPS combo that works directly.

Keith

USB is probably going to be problematic; you'd first need a PDA that can be a USB host (not many); then you'd need enough of a driver to talk to the GPS for realtime location data. The serial port may work with the correct PDA and software. Someone who's more familiar with PDA GPS software might be able to help you. The bigger question: why do you want to do this? You can either a) run CS/CN on the 60cx and autoroute that way, or :) use a PDA/GPS combo that works directly.

Keith

Cause I need a bigger screen while driving plus I've already spent $400 on a 60cx.

The 60 has a serial connection that with the right cable you can connect to your PDA. Then you need PDA software that routes. Mapopolis I'm told will do this.

However Garmin also sells PDA software and the Compact Flash card connection GPS (they may also have blue tooth) for routing software.

As a bonus on the garmin side you can install the City Select softare to your GPS.

Since I have a routing GPS I've found that the best way to go. If I needed a larger screen I'd go with the Standalone PDA and a CF GPS rather than cablesm, or something like the Garmin PDA that has it all built in to begin with.

If I was too broke to do that then I'd consider the mapopolis and cable though it's a hassle.

The 60 has a serial connection that with the right cable you can connect to your PDA. Then you need PDA software that routes. Mapopolis I'm told will do this.

However Garmin also sells PDA software and the Compact Flash card connection GPS (they may also have blue tooth) for routing software.

As a bonus on the garmin side you can install the City Select softare to your GPS.

Since I have a routing GPS I've found that the best way to go. If I needed a larger screen I'd go with the Standalone PDA and a CF GPS rather than cablesm, or something like the Garmin PDA that has it all built in to begin with.

If I was too broke to do that then I'd consider the mapopolis and cable though it's a hassle.

Ok, yawl are introducing some new into the equation. What is a Compact Flash GPS?

I decided to go bluetooth.

I have 2 PDA's (ipaq 2210 and Axim X50v) both have bluetooth.

I wanted a car power adapter for my 60Cx so I bought a i.Trek bluetooth car adapter from Sempsons. Plus I received a free copy of GPSgate software so I can use more than 1 GPS program at one time.

Sempsons i.Trek Bluetooth Power Adapter

Your best bet for multipurpose use would probably be Garmin's GPS 10 for palm and pocket pc, which comes with the City Select softare for you to use with the 60 as well. If you want to go with something like the 60 + pda, then you need to get the serial cable and software like rickertk mentioned to make it work. There are a variety of maps to go with the pda(one of which is http://www.mapopolis.com/). You could even look for a bluetooth sirf receiver like the Holux GR-236 which is really nice(Holux 236).

Edited by yeeoldcacher