Should Be Archived

The question of imposing sactions/punishment on anyone not maintaining a cache is a moot point (Sorry, no pun intended :shocked: ). It just ain't going to happen. The guidelines are robust enough as they stand to prevent widespread abuse.

As a recipient of all SBA notes I have a feel for the "problem" and I can tell you it's pretty minor. We do not need a sledgehammer in this pastime. If you feel strongly that a further sanction is required post your suggestion here where it will be seen by TPTB. In the meantime, as I've said before, if you know of a problem write a "Needs Archived" log and I'll make a judgement.

In the case of SP's remote cache, I was aware of the situation when I published it and I was happy then that it met the guidelines. Given its location I am still happy that it conforms.

OK, unless people have any "on topic" comments for this thread I will be shutting it later this morning.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed and to Lactodorum for his clarifications from a reviewers point of view.

In my opinion, I think it is clear that we should be using the SBA feature to raise potential issues with reviewers without any fear. This does not mean that concerns cannot be raised with the reviewers privately if a cacher so wishes.

A suggestion from my point of view is that when you disable a cache for long periods then please pop the occasional note on the cache page to make it clear you haven't forgotten about it.

Cheers and Happy Caching

Tony

Is this thread for real?

Sorry Sensei, what exactly does your question mean?

The question of imposing sactions/punishment on anyone not maintaining a cache is a moot point. It just ain't going to happen. The guidelines are robust enough as they stand to prevent widespread abuse.

This is exactly what I was referring to. How can any sensible person believe that these type of sanctions could or even would be imposed on our community. We are, in the majority, sensible people and these matters - such as maintenance issues or archiving etc - can be sorted via a friendly email or words of advice from Lacto or Ecky.

The methods being mooted(!) were ridiculous.

I can't make my friend Claire drive 200 miles just to look at my cache.
Erm.... okay..... so your friend Claire doesn't actually fit the description of "a local geocacher to watch over your distant cache for you" after all then does she? So your cache is placed against the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines.

I didn't detect much tonge-in-cheekiness in this, or several other posts. Look, there's not a :shocked: or a :D in sight...

Note: John Stead used a ;) to show he wasn't serious. I think using this smiley should be made LAW in this forum when posting with tongue in cheek! :D

Edited by Simply Paul
I didn't detect much tonge-in-cheekiness in this, or several other posts. Look, there's not a ;) or a :D in sight...

No, I didn't say that tongue-in-cheek.

I don't quite see exactly how Lactodorum can say that the cache is placed within the guidelines when as you have already admitted neither you, nor your nominated cache-guardian, can visit the cache to perform maintenance as and when required within a reasonable amount of time.

For me personally a "reasonable amount of time" is within a couple of weeks, maybe a month.

From what you've said you don't visit Scotland that often, and your cache-guardian is only actually nearby your cache around six times per year. IMHO that isn't often enough, but of course YMMV.

As I said personally I wouldn't place a cache somewhere that I couldn't get to within a couple of weeks of receiving a needs maintenance log or whatever - there's enough people placing caches for there to be no need for me to place one too far from home. If it's a good place but too far for me to get to, well, I'll let someone else who lives nearby do it instead. But how your interpret the guidelines is up to you :shocked:

Edited by HooloovooUK
Our illustrious reviewers were aware of the circumstances and ALLOWED it under their interpretation of the Guidlines so there's NO problem!

That's fair enough.

All I'm talking about are MY interpretation of the guidelines for when *I* place MY caches.

Anyone else can do what they like, I may not agree with it, but it's up to them.

Doesn't prevent me from giving my opinion though and that's what these forums are for :shocked: