Ni-mh Batteries

I think the new 15-minute rechargeable NiMH batteries is the only way to go now. I had few problems with NiMH with my old Map60C, but now with my new Map60Cx and software version 2.62(Beta), I will have to switch to the new 15-minute rechargeables, becaus Ive had so much trouble with my older Energizer 2500mah batteries, and this might be because I'm not very carefull with separating the depleted batteries from the freshly chargeds one, and a 15-minute car charger would help out so much with this issue. So many times have I only had a 3 hour charge on the NiMH batteries on my 60Cx with the older slower charge batteries.

If you want good results with any rechargable, there's more to it than just keeping them charged. You should group them into pairs (or whatever number is used in a device) and always use, charge, and store them together. For example, I use a felt tip marker and label sets "GPSA", "GPSB", etc. Since they discharge at the same rate during use, and charge at the same rate during charge, both "buckets" always have the same amount of water in 'em. Go to batteryuniversity.com for lots more info.

I will vouch for the 2500 Energizers. Never actually measured hours of use, but after several days of hiking/caching on the same set in my 76CS, I recharge them even though they still have half charge showing on the meter. (And I do always charge them in pairs.)

Edited by Klatch

The energizers found at WalMart are good. They are 2500's and are rated excellent. I've been using them for a year or so and no problems. I do have a charger that offers slow or fast and I always use slow. I bought it at the store that sponsers the battery test.

See here Battery Test's

Looks like the energizers are the way to go. Keeping them in pairs is a good tip, thanks..

Now the hard hard is waiting for everything to arrive!

If you want good results with any rechargable, there's more to it than just keeping them charged. You should group them into pairs (or whatever number is used in a device) and always use, charge, and store them together. For example, I use a felt tip marker and label sets "GPSA", "GPSB", etc. Since they discharge at the same rate during use, and charge at the same rate during charge, both "buckets" always have the same amount of water in 'em. Go to batteryuniversity.com for lots more info.

Good articles photbuff and capt caper.

THIS is a great place to check out the very latest chargers and batteries. Their chargers are somewhat expensive, but with chargers you get what you pay for. Note the batteries at this site, too. They now even have "2900s" giving you about 18% more charge that the "2500s". I've found that the MAHA chargers and the batteries that they sell there are all excellent. I've been using their Power-X batteries for two and a half years and the only problem I ever had was when I put them in another charger (fast charge type). The MAHA MH-C401FS charger unit with the car charger adapter keeps 4 fresh batteries available at all times.

THIS is a great place to check out the very latest chargers and batteries. Their chargers are somewhat expensive, but with chargers you get what you pay for. Note the batteries at this site, too. They now even have "2900s" giving you about 18% more charge that the "2500s". I've found that the MAHA chargers and the batteries that they sell there are all excellent. I've been using their Power-X batteries for two and a half years and the only problem I ever had was when I put them in another charger (fast charge type). The MAHA MH-C401FS charger unit with the car charger adapter keeps 4 fresh batteries available at all times.

Great info, I'm going on an extended trip to Alaska in June so I could use the extra life of the 2900s.

Thanks, I'm new to this site and geocaching and I can't say enough about the help everyone has been to a newbie.

Ditto on Thomas Distributing, they are quite simply the best all round source for rechargable batteries and their chargers. They seem to stay on top of evolving technology. In fact I just recieved four of their new 2900's a couple of days ago and man are they sweet. Have yourself a wonderful trip. Cache on Dude!! ;-)

Edited by Team Cotati

The Thomas Distributing site is very good. Read the Tips section, especially the tip about recharging evey 30 days. I had some new batteries that I left for a few months and they all went completely dead and could not be recharged. Also, the tip on reduced life (charging cycles) for the higher capacities. I am noticing some unusual things on cells from 2400 to 2700 mAH. Some go bad very quickly (one of a pair.) Some new 2700s are taking several recharge cycles to reach higher capacities, the first ones charging quickly and losing power quickly (and this is using a slow smart charger with individual cell sensor/chargers.)

The Thomas Distributing site is very good. Read the Tips section, especially the tip about recharging evey 30 days. I had some new batteries that I left for a few months and they all went completely dead and could not be recharged. Also, the tip on reduced life (charging cycles) for the higher capacities. I am noticing some unusual things on cells from 2400 to 2700 mAH. Some go bad very quickly (one of a pair.) Some new 2700s are taking several recharge cycles to reach higher capacities, the first ones charging quickly and losing power quickly (and this is using a slow smart charger with individual cell sensor/chargers.)

I'll take a look at the Tip section...Thanks!