Welching Traders

Team Perrito Blanco

Sorry to go besides the point but how should it be handled when coins are lost in the mail? This has definately happened once with me where a Illinois coin that Thorny1 was sending to me never arrived. He was generous wnough to send me another. What do other people think about this?

Welchers.... could either be on vacation.... well you could hope so... other than that thats no good... and maybe some .... mudslinging of names would be necessary if they are now "refusing" imo

I have resent 3 trades over the last year that didn't show up to the person I was trading with. Those same 3 items never were returned to me either. They fell into the postal black hole I guess. However, that's out of over 1000 coin packages mailed. So that's a pretty decent ratio.

Yes, mail losses happen and yes, sometimes those coins cannot be replaced.

If one of the people you traded with has the nick initials SOC, then that's a whole different reoccurring problem.

I had one lost in the mail I was sending to WV. Fortunately I had another and it made it in 2 days.

Interesting theme I see here. T1, AG and myself are in the NW ATL area...hmmmm. Maybe we have some postal geocoin collectors.. B)

...Maybe we have some postal geocoin collectors.. :ph34r:

Oh, that would be rather unhealthy - as the laws are so strict for tampering with U.S. Mail (and using the postal services to commit fraud - trading without sending?!). I'm not sure anyone's interested in getting that attention. :laughing: A few years ago, I won an eBay aution and the seller ended up being a fraud. Only because I paid a check via the good old US mail was the guy forced to return the money.

I've had late Geocoin deliveries (working on one now) but all worries have always panned out so far. :laughing:

We have sent out maybe 600 mailings, had only one lost. Four times they did not arrive, we sent a replacement out of our own stash, only to have the origional order show up after the second order. In all cases the reciever let me know and sent back the replacment coins... we sent them a treat for doing so, but i will take our community any day befroe another as being the most honest, good will, bunch ever.

I think as long as I am trading, I will send back the trade item if mine does not get there, but there is always a trade off as to how much to pay for shipping vs the risk of loosing the coin.

i traded with someone but the coin i was trading was delayed nearly 2 months but i just kept the other trader updated and hoped i didnt offend them. The coin was just posted to them last week but i felt awful them having to wait but as i say i kept them updated

I'm shocked to see how little things get lost by others, I have seen four packages arrive here that where damaged, twice I lost coins that where for me, and once I lost the pin part of the coin/pin combo, the other time the coin was still in the package and actually fell into my hands when I took the package. So much so that I am now reluctant to trade.

Am I to understand that I am in an area that has idiots working for the postal service? I have been complaining to the office but they could not even tell me at witch point during the delivery it got damage, maybe it was at custom or maybe at the local sorting office. In any case, I have left description of the coins with them if ever they get found and return, you never know.

So far the other way 'round seems to be okay, all my coins have arrived at destination. Oh and a simple reminder here, PLEASE take the time to report receiving a package in good condition, it's a relief to know that things got there okay.

Edited by AV Dezign

So far, all the coins I've sent out have gotten there safely. And I've received all the ones destined for me in good shape. Reading this stuff makes me want to put a even single coin in a BOX....

:laughing:

A BIG box.

Edited by ATMouse

I have resent 3 trades over the last year that didn't show up to the person I was trading with. Those same 3 items never were returned to me either. They fell into the postal black hole I guess. However, that's out of over 1000 coin packages mailed. So that's a pretty decent ratio.

Yes, mail losses happen and yes, sometimes those coins cannot be replaced.

If one of the people you traded with has the nick initials SOC, then that's a whole different reoccurring problem.

CA 2004 Coins were mailed without a hitch at all.....all 2004 of them. When it came to CA 2005, the first 1250 of them no problems in the mail. However, the last 750 of them had terrible problems. 15 packages lost or delayed in the mail. interesting enough it was packages on the north east area.

Good thing about some of the delayed, when i shipped the second, a couple of the orginal packages arrived at the same time and the cacher let me know and purchased the extra coins.

Definitely think cachers on the whole are a great bunch of people.

I've had a couple of trades that took awhile to close out...some due to the other person getting busy, some due to me getting busy. However, simple e-mails back and forth kept each other posted on status.

1800 2005 Alaska geocoins went to 400 different buyers without a hitch plus I've made over 100 trades, also without problems. The main issue for me was that some people moved after they ordered their coins, so packages got returned and I had to repost them.

The ONE shipment that went bad was when I recieved a padded mailer with a LIGO return address that was slit and had only the invoice in it.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

....... mudslinging of names would be necessary if they are now "refusing" imo...

If you leave the mud out of it, telling it like it is would go a long ways to keep others from having the same problem. Also telling it like it is, is perfectly within the forum guidelines and TOS. Even so it tends to be discouraged which helps the riff raff ply their trade.

Case in point. Because of honest posts by both Moun10bike and Kelia, I won't ever do a trade with CavScout. If I ever needed a CavScout coin eBay, a cache, or a trade with someone else would be how I went about getting the coin. At this point though CavScout knows this and would refuse to trade with me as well.

Any time something is swept under the carpet you just leave others open to get ripped off as well. Honest mistakes happen, things do get lost in the mail so you should always give the person you are trading with a chance to make things right. I also recommend tracking. Coins seem to disappear in the mail at a higher rate than anything else I have ever seen. Tracking seems to help them arrive. If it’s a unique coin and it’s lost in the mail, tracking will let you confirm that. Sometimes you will just be SOL because there is no way to make things right because it was neither your fault nor theirs that the coin is gone and there is no way to replace it. Insurance where you can’t take the risk is the only way to go. At least then you can process the insurance and pick up the coin on eBay.

Fortunately out of over 1,100 Loggerhead / Baby Loggerhead geocoins we have only lost two. One international and one US. We did cover the loss and ship a replacement coin!

No problem yet on trades! Over 125! Maybe we have been lucky so far!

The welchers, frenchers or whatever you call them are the same ones that will steal or destroy your caches.

Mr & Mrs Loggerhead

Loggerhead Geocoins

In my buying so far I've had 2 orders that had problems; one never arrived and the other had the package end ripped out and was empty (it looked like the coins cut through it). In both cases the seller was great and shipped replacements that arrived without problem. I had a third package that looked like it was ready to burst open if it was tossed much more. It has made me more nervous of the potential problems with larger coin orders.

On the sending side I haven't had any coins set in trade get lost (at least not that anyone has ever mentioned). I try to be careful about securing them well and reinforcing the mailers with tape to reduce the chance of problems.

Sigh. Living in the Northeast and in timbucktoo is very unfriendly to geocoins. I have not received at least 4 packages as of today from various parts of the country. I am also the person Green Achers is talking about, I shipped the coin over two weeks ago and he still doesn't have it. :)