Discovered It Log Entry

S Keillan

This looks like a good idea in order to cut down on the number of redundant logs for a travel bug. May I presume that the tag/serial number will need to be entered just as the found it logs? Also, what happens if the TB gets moved before a Discovered It log is made? Just wondering.

May I presume that the tag/serial number will need to be entered just as the found it logs?

A test post I did on one of my TBs confirms that the number is required

I mentioned it in my announcement but after reading it again I wasn't entirely clear (using "icon" instead of "geocoin or travel bug"). From prior discussions the word "spotted" came out on top but after some consideration I felt that discovered sounded better and makes as much sense.

We will be working on ways code-side to restrict the ability to pick up and drop off the same travel bug in the same cache in succession. This way will change user behaviour to only use pickups and dropoffs when the bugs actually move. This also won't affect those who use Travel Bugs to mark their travels from cache to cache.

I love this idea. I don't usually just grab a number and log it but this would be helpful. I try to stick with if I move it from 1 cache to another then I log it method. Maybe thats why I don't have a billzillion icons B)

I can see the benefits in reducing the information flow on the servers; I can also see that this feature is effective at a (coin) event. But isn’t there the disadvantage for “normal” cache-based TB/coins?

I am an “owner” of a couple of travel bugs. To me, it gives me great pleasure to see what they are supposed to do. I love it when I see that they travel. If someone mentions he/she saw “my” bug in a particular cache is not interesting. I knew that already. Why should this cacher even have the opportunity to discover “my” bug? To me this will be very frustrating. This cacher, who was at the cache, held the bug in is/her hand, wrote the tracking number down and logged it on the TB-site, did not take the effort to do what the TB/coin’s is supposed to do.

I guess the discovery function is supposed for “virtual” travels of a TB/coin. If it is possible, would it be better to limit the discovery option only to (coin) events where these “look at my tracking number and score an icon” actions take place?

Zilvervloot.

It's a pretty good ideia. I'd love to see that our bugs are being seen (and not lost!) in some caches.

I think this option will also prevent pickups that go against the TB's goal. I've seen so many Tb being put away from their objective just because some geocacher wanted that particular icon or stats.

This feature will be also a sucess in events. :laughing:

Thumbs up!

Great feature, even if you don't like using it at least it minimises the hassle involved for people that do (and for those that get their trackables logged in this fashion).

I'd like to see separate sections of a user's profile to reflect the different log types (such as "Trackables Moved" and "Trackables Discovered") - one summarises the items you found, the other the items you found and simultaneously dropped. "Discovered" logs don't count as "Found". That way, you could log loads of geocoins at an event and keep them separate from "genuine" finds.

HH

I'd like to see separate sections of a user's profile to reflect the different log types (such as "Trackables Moved" and "Trackables Discovered") - one summarises the items you found, the other the items you found and simultaneously dropped. "Discovered" logs don't count as "Found". That way, you could log loads of geocoins at an event and keep them separate from "genuine" finds.

I've always thought that logging geocoins at events that are never out of the owner's possession is a bit cheesy. I'm not going to rampage about it, but it's something that I don't do myself. However, if the trackables list do separate into "Moved" and "Discovered", I probably wouldn't mind partaking of this activity. I think that would be a good compromise, but I bet it would be a pain to retroactively apply it to older logs for the coders.

I bet it would be a pain to retroactively apply it to older logs for the coders.

I imagine that it would be up to each individual user to tidy this up - deleting their "found" and "dropped off" logs and replacing them with "discovered". This type of migration could take place over a long period of time, depending on how keen they feel.

When logging a coin or tb as discovered, it increments the count next to the icon, but doesn't add it to the total trackables found at the bottom.

Is this the way it's supposed to be?

Interesting. It should combine at the bottom.

After checking this I found that the query wasn't updated properly. It is fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out! GoodAndy.+

Edited by Jeremy
This also won't affect those who use Travel Bugs to mark their travels from cache to cache.

Are you thinking about any options to change the way those TB's are logged?

I'm not asking. I mean, I'm asking (as in I'd like to know), but I'm not asking (as in requesting the feature, on account of I realize we're using the TB tag in a way that is contrary to the laws of Nature and Man).

This also won't affect those who use Travel Bugs to mark their travels from cache to cache.

I'm not asking. I mean, I'm asking (as in I'd like to know), but I'm not asking (as in requesting the feature, on account of I realize we're using the TB tag in a way that is contrary to the laws of Nature and Man).

If you have any ideas, I'm listening.

I wish I had some! As a lazy person with a personal TB, I've thought about this a lot. I appreciate the problem: the interface has you drop bugs off at logging time, but that's not a happy place to have a decision tree.

The only thing I could come up with is that it would be EXTREMELY COOL if all cachers were essentially personal Travel Bugs -- that is, if GC kept track of our total mileage the way it kept track of the mileage of bugs. That would eliminate the need for personal TB's and just be really keen. But I have no idea how much of a burden on the site it would be and, as I vaguely suspect it might be a large burden, I never dared suggest it. And you get into questions of home coordinates and whether you want anybody tracking that and stuff.

So, short answer: no. Longer answer: no, but wouldn't it be neat?

The only thing I could come up with is that it would be EXTREMELY COOL if all cachers were essentially personal Travel Bugs -- that is, if GC kept track of our total mileage the way it kept track of the mileage of bugs. That would eliminate the need for personal TB's and just be really keen. But I have no idea how much of a burden on the site it would be and, as I vaguely suspect it might be a large burden, I never dared suggest it. And you get into questions of home coordinates and whether you want anybody tracking that and stuff.

Personally I would use the all finds pocket query to track it. However I already know the argument that without specific log times the sort order may be incorrect. A tool could manage the correct order for you.

The general issue becomes what is being tracked. For example, I have a personal TB (hidiously out-of-date) that I use to track everything possible, including DNF's and some that I hadn't logged from early on. However, I use my geocoin collection to track my event movements. I know that some cachers track only finds, and others track DNF's.

It would be something of a one size fits all, but the idea proposed would nevertheless be neat. :laughing:

Does this function send an email to the cache owner, travel bug owner,

and people who have this cache or travel bug on their watch list?

Thank you,

It's a log on the travel bug page, so the cache owner doesn't get a notification. Getting these notifications is one of the major complaints of cache owners, especially for events, when the item is repeatedly picked up and dropped off at the same location.

I do see the merit of informing the owner of a cache whether the person saw the travel bug in the cache, but this functionality doesn't allow this at this time. It does, however, mean that the cache owner can click on the travel bug and see that it is still being spotted - which is a good thing <_<

It's a log on the travel bug page, so the cache owner doesn't get a notification. Getting these notifications is one of the major complaints of cache owners, especially for events, when the item is repeatedly picked up and dropped off at the same location.
That is Great!

Thank you,

Why should this cacher even have the opportunity to discover “my” bug? To me this will be very frustrating. This cacher, who was at the cache, held the bug in is/her hand, wrote the tracking number down and logged it on the TB-site, did not take the effort to do what the TB/coin’s is supposed to do.

If it's bothers you, just delete the log entry.

Personally I would use the all finds pocket query to track it. However I already know the argument that without specific log times the sort order may be incorrect. A tool could manage the correct order for you.

This came up between auntie and I awhile back. Here was my possible solution.

AW I have an idea. This would only work if you had your real home coordinates given to the site. A cacher, we will just say a new cacher who just signed up for arguements sake, would start his (yes his, his name is Bob and this is my story biggrin.gif ) mileage at his home coordinates. Then when he is done logging his days caches, he hits the new home button on his "my account page." That sends his personal bug back to his home coordinates and gives a semi accurate account of his days mileage. The next caching trip it all goes the same way. Oh yeah, the loop hole. Bob goes out and finds 5 caches in the morning, then his wife calls him and says "hey Bob, come home I need you to mow the lawn!' So Bob goes home and mows the lawn. Then he comes in and drinks some tea and sees a new cache pop up. Bob jumps in his Hummer and goes and gets a FTF. WoooHOoo! Anywho, he logs his caches for the day. First he logs the 5, then hits his home button on his my account page. Then he logs his next cache and then hits that home button again. THE END

(No Bob's were hurt during the telling of this story. Also the guys name is not really Bob, he doesn't drive a hummer, and the poor sap got beat out by 5 other cachers for the FTF. These things all had to be changed to protect the innocent.) laughing.gif

I just logged my first discovery. On the "My Account" page, the log has the same smiley icon as a cache find. This seems slightly strange - when I take a TB from a cache I get a businesslike "dog tag plus arrow" icon. Could there be an icon for "Discovered" which is less likely to attract one's visual attention when scanning the "My Account" pages for recent finds?

I just logged my first discovery. On the "My Account" page, the log has the same smiley icon as a cache find. This seems slightly strange - when I take a TB from a cache I get a businesslike "dog tag plus arrow" icon. Could there be an icon for "Discovered" which is less likely to attract one's visual attention when scanning the "My Account" pages for recent finds?

I just logged my first "Discovered it!" and second this request for a new icon on the "My Account" page. Perhaps the little TB tag with an eye?

I think this feature is great. I have a geocoin in a cache that is supposed to remain in the cache as a marker, so it makes it much easier for those that visit the cache to 'Discover' the coin and log it, rather than having to 'Find' then go back and 'Drop'. I've already made a visit to the cache and posted the instructions for 'Discovered it' in the lid of the cache.

From prior discussions the word "spotted" came out on top but after some consideration I felt that discovered sounded better and makes as much sense.

How about "Touched"? Makes it a bit clear, even though it sounds a bit like *NIX

Problem is: with all these logtype that the website now has, it's getting difficult (for beginners) to understand what each log is for. An explanation screen might be good. If I hadn't seen a "discovered" log entry I wouldn't have known what it means either and would have missed a great feature.

BTW: I made a "discovered" log entry myself, but it didn't turn up in the "My logs (last 30 days)" screen (unlike TB drops for example). Is that intentional?

Thomas

-----------------------------------------------------------

GoogleEarthTweaker - Display your finds in GoogleEarth

From prior discussions the word "spotted" came out on top but after some consideration I felt that discovered sounded better and makes as much sense.

How about "Touched"? Makes it a bit clear, even though it sounds a bit like *NIX

Problem is: with all these logtype that the website now has, it's getting difficult (for beginners) to understand what each log is for. An explanation screen might be good. If I hadn't seen a "discovered" log entry I wouldn't have known what it means either and would have missed a great feature.

BTW: I made a "discovered" log entry myself, but it didn't turn up in the "My logs (last 30 days)" screen (unlike TB drops for example). Is that intentional?

Thomas

I agree that "Discovered" seems to be a bad name. I've noticed elsewhere that some people are grabbing travel bugs from caches where they haven't been dorpped yet. They are using the Discovered log instead of Grabbed because they "discovered" the travel bug in a cache that it hadn't been logged into. Makes sense :ph34r:. I think the "spotted it" or "touched" would make more sense - although I still like "iconified" especially for geocoins.

I just got an e-mail because a TB of mine had been "Discovered". However, the e-mail said

<cacher> posted a note for <TB>

Perhaps this could be changed to

<cacher> discovered <TB>

?

Thanks

Nick

Thinking out loud here but maybe because the <cacher> first posted a note, this note log was emailed when submitted.

But then later changed it to a Discovered log on the TB page which would not be emailed.

I have received Discovered emails which say:

[LOG] Owner: <cacher> discovered <TB>

Thinking out loud here but maybe because the <cacher> first posted a note, this note log was emailed when submitted.

But then later changed it to a Discovered log on the TB page which would not be emailed.

I have received Discovered emails which say:

[LOG] Owner: <cacher> discovered <TB>

I think you're right. I just went through my e-mail trash can and found a couple of "Discovered" mails. Thanks...

My stance is that the "Discovered it" is a good feature because, at the very least, it shows the bug owner that the bug is still in the listed cache.

All too often I find caches with bugs listed as inventory, but the bug missing. The previous find may have been a month or more prior and if the prior find did not leave or take the bug, there is no indication otherwise if the bug was still there unless he marked it "Discovered it".

I encourage the continuance of the feature.

I was checking the logs on my Travel bugs and found a "Discovered" Log for one of them.

The Travel bug is currently in Argentina and the Cacher is in Switzerland and evidently never visited the cache where the TB resides.

I looked at the gallery for the TB and found a photo had been posted by a finder showing the Tracking Number.

I then looked at the TB inventory for the cacher and noticed that they have logged "discovered" for a number of TB's where the tracking number is evident in a photo.

I have emailed the photo poster asking them to change the photo so that the tracking number cannot be seen and intent to delete the invalid log. I have also emailed a number of the other cachers who have these logs on their TB's to warn them.

I cannot recall seeing an email for this log. Is one sent to the TB owner for the "Discovered it" Log?

I cannot recall seeing an email for this log. Is one sent to the TB owner for the "Discovered it" Log?

Yes

Email Subject: [LOG] Owner: <cacher> discovered <tb/geocoin title> (<type i.e.Travel Bug Dog Tag>)

Edited by MrCOgeo

"Discovered it" replaces what used to be a "grab" followed by a "drop". For the benefit of people who are using a TB to trace their personal mileage, it would be nice to have the opposite feature -- a "drop" followed by a "grab". Call it "visited", say, and when you select that option you enter the GC code for the cache. Maybe also add allow "home" as a "visited" location so you can count the distance spent travelling to and from the caches you hit on a given day.

dave