Pda

just started paperless caching. just wondering how everyone carries thier pda when caching? i don't want to have it stuffed away in my pack but it's too big for pockets.

are there any pouches available that would be a good size to be able to attach to pack shoulder strap?

pics would be heplfull.

Edited by storm1

I have a Tungsten E2 that I have a hard case for. However, I recently bought an Otterbox 2600 off of ebay that I will be using it in. It actually takes up more space but hey, it looks cool. :o As far as carrying mine, I usually wear cargo pants or shorts and put it in the cargo pocket. That way it is at hand if needed on the trail but not bulking up my hip pockets. What type of PDA do you have?

After this weekend, I can tell you how NOT to carry it. Carrying it in the waterbottle section of a fanny pack is the wrong place. While navigating one of about 40 stream crossings in a day of hiking, I bent down to help my 4 year old down some wet rocks and my zire popped right out and into the water. Seems to be fried.

Don't recomment back pants pockets either. I know a couple of people who have broken them that way. I think a rigid case in cargo pockets will by my new prefered method. sigh

I have a Tungsten E2 that I have a hard case for. However, I recently bought an Otterbox 2600 off of ebay that I will be using it in. It actually takes up more space but hey, it looks cool. :o As far as carrying mine, I usually wear cargo pants or shorts and put it in the cargo pocket. That way it is at hand if needed on the trail but not bulking up my hip pockets. What type of PDA do you have?

it's just a palm IIIc. is there an otterbox that it will fit in? the otterbox would probally be worth more then the pda.

Edited by storm1

My Silva Ranger compass came with a dandy carry pouch with belt loop and velcro fastener for cover flap. My Palm Tungsten E fits in it perfectly attached to my belt and out of harms way. The compass hangs from my neck with a lanyard.

Olar

i don't want to have it stuffed away in my pack but it's too big for pockets.

Clearly you need better pockets. I'll generally carry the pda (in an aluminum case), cell phone, keys, asthma inhaler in my pockets. If I need a spare hand I'll stuff my 60cs in my pocket too. (I tend to wear almost knee length shorts while caching.)

Actually, my biggest problem is sometimes having some much crud in my pockets that the weight wants to pull the shorts down.

it's just a palm IIIc. is there an otterbox that it will fit in? the otterbox would probally be worth more then the pda.

You can look at the 2600 Here and go to the fitting guide at the bottom to see if your PDA will fit. I think the Palm 3 editions will fit but I'm not sure. And, yes, you are probably right the Otterbox might cost more than the Palm itself. I found mine on ebay for about $30 and they usually run new at about $45. If you can find one of the aluminum hard cases they work well but aren't waterproof.

just started paperless caching. just wondering how everyone carries thier pda when caching?

We use a camera case found at Staples to carry PDA, journal, pen, stamp and pad, and a few micro trades. We can throw it over a shoulder for a quickie or in the top of the pack for longer hikes.

Here are some interesting pouches I've been eying.

I use a standard hard aluminum case when it's dry. But I use this when it's raining or I'm in an area where I could end up in the water. The AquaPaks are waterproof and can be carried around your neck. This is important since the cell phone makers are now putting that little water-detecting tab on the inside of the unit. If you send it for service and they see it changed color: "Not covered by warrantee - customer abuse." About $20. Check Ebay or Amazon for better prices.

Aquapak.jpg

So far I've just been keeping the PDA in my pocket - either front or back depending on how much other junk is stuffed in them. I have just a soft-cover case that it slips into so it doesn't get scratched. Since I'm looking to get a CF GPS card for it I'll probably find some better case for it so I don't destroy it while out in the field.

Here are some interesting pouches I've been eying.

I use the Maxpedition Thermite Versipack. It's great for my caching needs! If you look at the linked photos, the very last one shows a green notebook in a slot. I keep a compass in here. Behind the slot is a zippered pocket which fits my Dell Axim perfectly. The cover-flap has a zippered pocket where I keep extra batteries. The main storage has enough room for swag and my GPS if I need to store it. Side pockets can hold cell phones and other things. Along the beltline is another zipper. That pocket goes all the way down the back of the pouch.

I have an Ipaq 3955. I found a padded case at the local airport a couple of years ago and bought it. It was an excellent purchase. The case and PDA fit in one of the waterbottle pockets on my fanny pack. I have never had any problems with my PDA because it is always well protected.

I have a SUHP (sport-utility hip pack) with shoulder straps that wraps 3/4 around my waist. It carries a day's worth of caching necessities, including swag, spare batteries, cache maintainence supplies, pens, pencils, etc. It has a pocket that fits my PDA perfectly.

On that note, I use an inexpensive Palm VIIX that I purchased for $20 on ebay. If I fall and break, it, I can just get another one.

This pack also doubles as my bowhunting pack in the fall, holding my calls, scents, caliber release, etc.

I keep my T5 in an aluminum case. Nine months out of the year, it fits neatly in a pocket of my vest. During the summer months, it gets put into my back pant pocket. With the aluminum case there has been no damage to the PDA. There are a few dents where I've dropped it after removing it from its normal carry position, but the case shows all the wear and tear.

I use a Handspring Visor Platinum and store it in the Concept Kitchen Bumper Case:

Bumper Case

The review says that it won't fit my PDA, but that's just not true! It makes the PDA a little bigger, but I keep it in a reachable pocket in my backpack. It's been dropped and exposed to a number of weather conditions and all is well.

Bec

Palm M515 in a standard palm aluminum case.

Short trips, in my back pocket. Ziplok bag if it's rainy. I can still stylus through the plastic if needed.

Long haul is in the outer pocket of my camelbak, again, double ziplok'd if it's wet...