Nano Caches

Team Kurtz

Actually, 2-3/8" x 1" is generous for a micro. Try finding a 7/16" x 5/16" Mr. Magneto capsule or variations. You need tweezers to get the so-called "log" out. And then there are the containerless caches that use a magnetic strip as the log. I agree that there needs to be a better way to flag these vanishing-point caches now that they have become fairly common.

I always read the discription and past logs hoping that someone mentions it's a nano-cache (rather than looking for it and discovering it's a nano), which gets instantly added to my ignore list.

I dislike looking for micros...nanos just suck.

Ed

So far the cache containers shown are larger than a nano’s we hide around here and are covered under micros, please no more sizes, but a nano / micro in the woods in the woods will pass up where a regular cache could be

I will agree that the need for a "nano" size is not needed. The way that I see it is that a micro is pretty much restricted to a log and maybe a writing utensil (versus Small, which has some room for small swag). Nanos are already that. I do agree that descriptions are useful, but sometimes that takes the surprise element away. For those who don't like to hunt micros, this would change nothing.

Just my few shekels.

So far the cache containers shown are larger than a nano’s we hide around here and are covered under micros, please no more sizes, but a nano / micro in the woods in the woods will pass up where a regular cache could be

Now that is scary! Can you post a picture of one that is smaller than the one Mystery Ink posted?

The way that I see it is that a micro is pretty much restricted to a log and maybe a writing utensil (versus Small, which has some room for small swag). Nanos are already that.

I've never seen a useful writing utensil in a micro. I've seen a couple 1-inch pencil stubs in micros, but they weren't useful.

The distinction I make is that micros generally have room for geocoins, sig tokens, and similar objects, in addition to the log, whereas nanos generally have room for only a (custom-fitted) log. Although I have found a nano that had room for one of my sig tokens (and nothing else), and I've found micros with unusually large logs that completely filled them, leaving no room for geocoins, sig tokens, etc.

Maybe we don't need a new cache size, but would a new attribute help? Or should we just encourage owners to include the word "nano" in the description somewhere?

Anyone can hide a Micro or a Nano (shudder)

Want a real challenge... hide a LARGE. And I mean 'hide', not place so far off trail that only a hermit could find it.

Micros are only useful for where Virtuals used to be allowed. Better to just make an offset/multi and make it a real cache.

B) The Blue Quasar

What's the benefit of adding a new size? I don't see one so I need to understand why someone would care to make a difference between the two. Difficulty ratings should suffice.

Looked at in terms of container volumes, the existing categories are evenly spaced which makes sense:

large - bucket - 640 oz

regular - ammo can - 100 oz (about 1/6 the size of large)

small - serving container - 16 oz (about 1/6 the size of regular)

micro - film canister - 2 oz (about 1/8 the size of small)

And then there is the nano-container:

nano - pill capsule - 0.05 oz (about 1/40 the size of micro)

It is off the scale both in volume and potential difficulty--very different from a standard micro in key ways. There ought to be some way to identify a nano. You suggest the difficulty level which might work if it were not so subjective and used for other qualities of the hunt. Based on our present size categories, a new category for nano would be consistent.

Example of a relatively large nano-cache:

nano-cache.jpg

Edited by bigeddy

Maybe a need to bring a pen attribute would be more helpful.

Anything big enough to hold a pen would probably be defined as small rather than micro.

Like all caches they have thier place and in certain areas could and maybe should be used to replace virtuals caches.

Originally virtuals were placed in locations where you could not leave anything, like National parks. I don't think they would like nano's being left there either. I was very sad when I learned that there would be no more virtuals approved.