'rolling Your Own' 1:24k Maps - And Sharing Them?

Yes, but is your highest level empty? I must be empty. Also make sure your levels are sequential.

Look through the .mp file and see if it looks correct.

My highest level (Level 3) just has a small line in it, per the instructions from the link above in this thread. Here is a screenshot, what is incorrect? Thanks.

levels.jpg

Looks fine. Just make sure that what you think is happenning is happening. CTRL-0 to show level zero objects. Other than that I'm not sure what is wrong. Try opening the.mp file in notepad and see if there really are level zero objects.

Under the view menu you can force it to show what is in each level.

I think I remember getting that error, but I don't remember how I fixed it. :P

If you do remember how to fix the problem, I would HIGHLY appreciate the solution. This is very fustrating. Thanks.

I don't know if this is what you researched or not, but you may also want to try this link. I've currently got a project underway - small tests have worked well so far.

I have used the above web page as a guide to build several maps. I have been very happy with the results thus far. My first map was a tough one and took several tries to get just what I wanted. After doing a few maps it has become much easier. I also like how my homemade maps can be integrated with Mapsource. Now when I get ready for a hiking trip somewhere I look forward to putting a map together as part of the overall experience. I'll be using the most detailed of the maps I have made later this week for a trip to "The Great Sand Dunes" in Colorado.

Manyhatz

I'm using the free version of cGPSmapper. I have gotten as far as creating topo file with imported stream data (GPSmapedit), but can't seem to complie and create the map for Mapsource using cGPSmapper. I get an error message :

File cannot be open

POI info sorting

Layer>>>>>>>>>0<<<<<<<<generation

Nothing was imported into Layer0!

Aborting program due to errors. Check error message above.

Layer0 cannot be empty!

Any ideas?

I finally created a very nice "transparent" topo which I have included in the choice of Mapsource map selections as "Custom" which loads easily to my 60cs and does exactly as advertised, it overlays on my other map (topo) and provides much better detail.

The mistake I was making was not creating the img file before compiling it. Therefore, it is necessary to create the img file and then run the test_pv.txt compiler on the same file. So if Jackson is listening, he may want to add a note to his site (above).

I decided to load all of the software to make topo maps on my notebook computer. I mave a Dell Inspiron 5150, 512 mb RAM, 3.2 Ghz P4 processer and Windows XP Professional. I am having a problem, though. When I am converting the .tiff file to .mp in Dem2Topo, the computer shuts off (powering off) suddenly after about 2 minutes after the conversion process has began. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I decided to load all of the software to make topo maps on my notebook computer. I mave a Dell Inspiron 5150, 512 mb RAM, 3.2 Ghz P4 processer and Windows XP Professional. I am having a problem, though. When I am converting the .tiff file to .mp in Dem2Topo, the computer shuts off (powering off) suddenly after about 2 minutes after the conversion process has began. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The first question would be where did you get the dem data from. It's possible the data is corrupted and causing the program to fail. Secondly, a whole county is a heck of a lot of data...you might try Geocommunity.com where they have the dem data in sdts form for each of the quads in that county. The info and download is free, though a little slow downloading. Even if the data were OK, you are going to have a long complie in gpsmapper with all that data at once and only 512 megs of ram.

Personally, I use global mapper to open the SDTS dem file and then create contours to my specification, followed by a shape file export of the data. The data is then directly imported into gpsmapper.

Personally, I use global mapper to open the SDTS dem file and then create contours to my specification, followed by a shape file export of the data

What shapefile format do you export it as. I've tried this but can never get it into a format I can load in gpsmapedit where I can add all the GNIS data.

Personally, I use global mapper to open the SDTS dem file and then create contours to my specification, followed by a shape file export of the data

What shapefile format do you export it as. I've tried this but can never get it into a format I can load in gpsmapedit where I can add all the GNIS data.

A shapefile is a shapefile. In mapedit, you use the "import" function. In Mapedit, under "file" pull down to "import" and then you have a choice of .mif or .shp choose .shp and then navigate to the folder your dhape file is in. Thats all there is to it.

I just did the 12 quads in Howard county...with 50 ft contour levels, at a moderate detail level, the shape file size is 63MB. It loads just fine into Mapedit. If you like, I could try to E-mail the file, but at 63MB, I don't know what mine and your limits are for sending large attached file sizes.

If you do succeed in getting a shapefile, I suggest you use the "imtermediate" contour level as a choice when identifying the contour lines, as the "major" contour line designation really looks terrible on the GPS screen.

It's possible the data is corrupted and causing the program to fail.

I received my elevation data from http://seamless.usgs.gov/. I can open the .img file in GPSMapEdit and I can see the contour lines for Brown County in accordance to my specified intervals and zoom levels. Can I assume that because everything seems to be working fine in GPSMapEdit that the file is not corrupt?

I also appreciate your comments and I will try some of your things. Additionally, thanks to everyone else for responding to my questions. I am a newby at making maps; however, I am definately intrigued by the process and I am sure I will find some personal satisfaction in creating my own detailed topo maps.

Edited by indygpser

It's possible the data is corrupted and causing the program to fail.

I received my elevation data from http://seamless.usgs.gov/. I can open the .img file in GPSMapEdit and I can see the contour lines for Brown County in accordance to my specified intervals and zoom levels. Can I assume that because everything seems to be working fine in GPSMapEdit that the file is not corrupt?

I also appreciate your comments and I will try some of your things. Additionally, thanks to everyone else for responding to my questions. I am a newby at making maps; however, I am definately intrigued by the process and I am sure I will find some personal satisfaction in creating my own detailed topo maps.

You originally stated you were having problems converting the the tif file in demtotopo...if you have already imported the file into mapedit, and can see the contours, the file is not corrupted and all is fine. When you first bring the file into Mapedit, you are working on the .mp file. The file is then converted to an image file using MApedit. If you have converted the mp to .img you're halfway there.

If you have created a Std. .img file, when displayed on the GPS it will "cover-up" any other map product . In mapedit you have the option at the .mp stage to have the map be "transparent" which means it will lay ontop of and you can see thru it to also see City Select roads at the same time...this gives you the best of both worlds. Again this must be done with the .mp file, before conversion to the .img file.

Did anyone ever figure out the Layer0 cannot be empty! problem?

I wish someone would make one of these mapping programs that is easy to use! I would buy such a program.

If you are referring to the error message when running the cGPSMAPPER command line for converting the .img file into the TDB and pvimage file, it really has nothing to do with layer 0, as you might "normally" interpret it. In order to run cgpsmapper program, the pv.txt file and the .img file have to be copied from where you have them into the same folder as the cgpsmapper.exe file. cgpsmapper only looks in that folder for the files...if they are not there, cgpsmapper will not look elsewhere and will deliver an error message. You need two files in the folder to successfully compile the map. One is the PV.txt file, into which you put all your specific map names, levels , and the name of the .img file you want to convert..if there is no reference here to the .img file, you will again get an error message. The other file you need is the .img file you got from Mapedit, to which the pv.txt file refers to during processing.

When you go to compile you must get the dos prompt, and navigate to the folder where the cgpsmapper.exe file is located. You can get the path statement by leaving the window of the folder where gpsmapper.exe is located open on you desktop...again, if you don't navigate to this folder, you will get an error message when compiling. "layer 0 is empty" warning is caused by several different errors, which have nothing to do with layers in the original garmin .img file you have already created.

Thanks, but I am still all confused by this in spite of normally being able to figure out this kind of stuff. I am about to go crazy trying to figure this out. I just do not understand why someone has not made a program that easily does this stuff-I would pay a lot for it.

Anyway, is there somewhere that explains the steps well? I've tried to figure this out and it does not work.

I do not have a pv.txt or know how to make one. Can someone diret me to directions on what to do with this?

I am trying to convert track files into transparnet trail files in a map. I've loaded them in GPS MApedit, converted them to trails and set the zoom levels. (Not sure if they are right though). I then go to export garmin img file. It then runs G:\Work\GPSmap0060\cgpsmapper.exe

I then get:

GPSmapper command line utility version: 0060 Mar 23 2003

gps_mapper@gps.chrisb.org

Shareware edition

Without SHP support

GPSmap import library version 0010

Importing data

G:\Work\GPSmap0060\cgpsmapper.ini found!

POI info sorting

Layer >>>>>>0<<<<<< generation

Layer0 cannot be empty!

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Any help will be greatly appriciated.

I wish someone would make one of these mapping programs that is easy to use! I would buy such a program.

If you are referring to the error message when running the cGPSMAPPER command line for converting the .img file into the TDB and pvimage file, it really has nothing to do with layer 0, as you might "normally" interpret it. In order to run cgpsmapper program, the pv.txt file and the .img file have to be copied from where you have them into the same folder as the cgpsmapper.exe file. cgpsmapper only looks in that folder for the files...if they are not there, cgpsmapper will not look elsewhere and will deliver an error message. You need two files in the folder to successfully compile the map. One is the PV.txt file, into which you put all your specific map names, levels , and the name of the .img file you want to convert..if there is no reference here to the .img file, you will again get an error message. The other file you need is the .img file you got from Mapedit, to which the pv.txt file refers to during processing.

When you go to compile you must get the dos prompt, and navigate to the folder where the cgpsmapper.exe file is located. You can get the path statement by leaving the window of the folder where gpsmapper.exe is located open on you desktop...again, if you don't navigate to this folder, you will get an error message when compiling. "layer 0 is empty" warning is caused by several different errors, which have nothing to do with layers in the original garmin .img file you have already created.

For a wee know, I too have been in the process of modifying/making topo maps and true it may be sometime frustrating for lack of straightforward tools. From what I can see these programs were designed by enthusiasts and grew up at the same time they were discovering how to make maps !

Besides they are designed to be general in order to be adaptable to the various GPSr. So you have these polish format, OZI format etc... all being text file.

These text files have then to be compiled for the more efficent "binary" format of the GPSr.

Mapedit seems the more user friendly, looks less complete than the other (trackmaker) but is suitable so far and is the one I elected to use.

The creator (a Russian) is planning to work directly to/from the .img format. May be you can contact him and make a donation to speed up the work.

I am still looking for the best soft available and if mapedit remain the top choice, I may alos make a doantion to this guy.

The market is in its infancy for this type of tools. So watch out for the one that will emerge and later be bought by Microsoft ! :D

Thanks, but I am still all confused by this in spite of normally being able to figure out this kind of stuff. I am about to go crazy trying to figure this out. I just do not understand why someone has not made a program that easily does this stuff-I would pay a lot for it.

Anyway, is there somewhere that explains the steps well? I've tried to figure this out and it does not work.

I do not have a pv.txt or know how to make one. Can someone diret me to directions on what to do with this?

I am trying to convert track files into transparnet trail files in a map. I've loaded them in GPS MApedit, converted them to trails and set the zoom levels. (Not sure if they are right though). I then go to export garmin img file. It then runs G:\Work\GPSmap0060\cgpsmapper.exe

I then get:

GPSmapper command line utility version: 0060 Mar 23 2003

gps_mapper@gps.chrisb.org

Shareware edition

Without SHP support

GPSmap import library version 0010

Importing data

G:\Work\GPSmap0060\cgpsmapper.ini found!

POI info sorting

Layer >>>>>>0<<<<<< generation

Layer0 cannot be empty!

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Ok I see what you are saying...the pv.txt file is used later on when you are trying to put your map into Mapsource. That is not the problem here.

Once you make your map in MapEdit, before you try to convert it to a .img file, you must save it as an .mp file. Have you successfully saved your map as an MP file, if so, you can e-mail it to me and I will give it a quick check to see if it will compile here or what is possibly wrong..

Does anyone here know of a text editor that would allow me to search for and replace strings across two lines. I need it to edit these MP files to change items attribute in a unique way in MP files based on the label.

Ex; I want to search for all:

Type=0x1f

Label=Hardwood

and replace by

Type=0x7f

Label=Hardwood

That means I have to be able to search for formating charachters. (CR and LF)

I have used this kind of editor a long time ago in long gone computers ! :D

If you are just changing the type, it is easy to do in GPSMapedit. Select by type and change type.

I know that but what I want to do is carry all these changes in an automatic way (a few hundreds !).

I am working from existing maps that I complete/correct.

The easieast so far is to find/replace with wordpad the *.mp files.

These maps are also in dutch and I convert the labels in english, for that I have used the change label function and the translation table (a *txt file) .

Just to let everyone know I got the 0 layer empty problem (and my other ones) solved. If someone else has the same thing, make sure you have the right cgpsmapper installed! Somehow I had one version that was in a zip file and was using it. I downloaded the correct free install file and everything now works.

This is really neat too. I am really impressed with what it can do. I am makng trail and topo maps now.

I have a couple of questions on data.

I've found the elevation and water data, but is there any place where you can get data like springs, mountian names, and other points that are normally on a topo map?

I've found some ArcView data in the adf format. Is there a way to get that into the maps? I have version 3 of Archview (barely know how to use it) and I installed it. I added the adf files as themes then saved them as a shapfile. Then I tried to import them into gpsmapedit. The program improted it and then the screen went blank and all kinds of weird stuff.

I've found the elevation and water data, but is there any place where you can get data like springs, mountian names, and other points that are normally on a topo map?

Check out Wayhoo, it creates a GPX file out of the waypoints you create (From the GNIS). From there you can import them into your map or use the POI Loader.

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for.

It, however, seems very hard to access what I need. The main problem is I was only able to select 20 points at a time when there could be a hundred or more. That took forever. Is there some easier way to access the data? For example, could you get a file of all the airports for a state?

I was able to make a really neat map for my county that works great. It took forever and I would hope there is an easier way to do it. Here is what I did:

I browsed to the county. Then I would select the categories and save all the waypoints (like all the airports) and then save it as a gpx. Then I would clear my waypoints and go onto the next category. I then ended up with a GPX file for each category.

I then opened each file up in GPSMapediter, selected all the points, then right clicked on them and converted them to proper point. Then I would save the file. Then I would open the next gpx file, convert it and save it. Then I created a new file and added all the files I created and then I saved it and created an img file.

It worked perfectly, but it took forever. I would like to find an easier way. If I could easily get a file for each catergory it would not be that hard.

Any suggestions? Or has someone already made the maps for the entire country?

Thanks

Check out Wayhoo, it creates a GPX file out of the waypoints you create (From the GNIS). From there you can import them into your map or use the POI Loader.

Like you, I asked myself the same thing. It was very time consuming -- I did pretty much the same thing you did. Wayhoo gets their information from the GNIS -- this information, along with a much better search engine that displays more results, can be found here. However, the only method the GNIS allows that information to be exported is through a pipe (|) delimited text file. I haven't been able to find a way to use the data in that format, nor have I been successful in converting that into a useable format.

If you find a better way to export this data, please let me know!

Thanks,

Brett

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for.

It, however, seems very hard to access what I need. The main problem is I was only able to select 20 points at a time when there could be a hundred or more. That took forever. Is there some easier way to access the data? For example, could you get a file of all the airports for a state?

I was able to make a really neat map for my county that works great. It took forever and I would hope there is an easier way to do it. Here is what I did:

I browsed to the county. Then I would select the categories and save all the waypoints (like all the airports) and then save it as a gpx. Then I would clear my waypoints and go onto the next category. I then ended up with a GPX file for each category.

I then opened each file up in GPSMapediter, selected all the points, then right clicked on them and converted them to proper point. Then I would save the file. Then I would open the next gpx file, convert it and save it. Then I created a new file and added all the files I created and then I saved it and created an img file.

It worked perfectly, but it took forever. I would like to find an easier way. If I could easily get a file for each catergory it would not be that hard.

Any suggestions? Or has someone already made the maps for the entire country?

Thanks

Like you, I asked myself the same thing. It was very time consuming -- I did pretty much the same thing you did. Wayhoo gets their information from the GNIS -- this information, along with a much better search engine that displays more results, can be found here. However, the only method the GNIS allows that information to be exported is through a pipe (|) delimited text file. I haven't been able to find a way to use the data in that format, nor have I been successful in converting that into a useable format.

If you find a better way to export this data, please let me know!

Thanks,

Brett

I just tried searching and downloading on that site. With a good text editor you could quickly do a search replace in the file for the '|' to change it to a ',' or a ';'.

And then you could open it in Excel and weed out the columns you don't need and massage the longitude latitude to get it in a format more readily readable.

ProsperoDK/René

ProsperoDK,

I was just actually looking at my options since my last post to maybe figure something out. It looks like GPSBabel allows custom CSV files if you know how to make it realize what field does what.

However, you brought up a good point. I could also manipulate the CSV file the GNIS provides to something that GPSBabel already recognizes.

BTW, I find it a bit disturbing that I've created detailed topographical maps for a GPS unit I don't have and for a hobby I still haven't participated in. :(:(

-Brett

I just tried searching and downloading on that site. With a good text editor you could quickly do a search replace in the file for the '|' to change it to a ',' or a ';'.

And then you could open it in Excel and weed out the columns you don't need and massage the longitude latitude to get it in a format more readily readable.

ProsperoDK/René

I found that other site and the way to download those wierd delimmitted files. I tried everything I could to convert them into something I could use. I tried replaacing the l with a comma and could open it in Quattro Pro and Excel, but I could not figure out a way to get it into something I could use. I also tried gpsbable and was not able to figure it out. It looks like it could do it. It looks like you need to make a style file and I tried figuring it out and was completely comfused. I joined thier gpsbable listserve and asked for help. No one has responded yet. I will let others know if they do. Or it would be great if someone here could figure it out.

If we can figure out how to convert the files properly, it would not be too difficult to create a state map with all the POIs in it. I would suggest once we get it figured out we post how to do it and let people take on different states and then we can post the finished maps somewhere. I did a map for the county I live in and it works perfectly and was only 20K. So I bet you could have a state POI map under 500K.

I use OpenOffice and am able to open the | delimited files. It allows an option for the user to input the "delimiter".

The style file is exactly what we need in order to do this efficiently. Perhaps this weekend I'll try my luck with it, or we'll be lucky and somebody on the listserv will respond.

I'm personally only interested in Summits and Locales, but I'm sure if we had the POI's for an entire state it would be easy enough to filter out the items we don't want.

I found that other site and the way to download those wierd delimmitted files. I tried everything I could to convert them into something I could use. I tried replaacing the l with a comma and could open it in Quattro Pro and Excel, but I could not figure out a way to get it into something I could use. I also tried gpsbable and was not able to figure it out. It looks like it could do it. It looks like you need to make a style file and I tried figuring it out and was completely comfused. I joined thier gpsbable listserve and asked for help. No one has responded yet. I will let others know if they do. Or it would be great if someone here could figure it out.

If we can figure out how to convert the files properly, it would not be too difficult to create a state map with all the POIs in it. I would suggest once we get it figured out we post how to do it and let people take on different states and then we can post the finished maps somewhere. I did a map for the county I live in and it works perfectly and was only 20K. So I bet you could have a state POI map under 500K.

The reason those files are pipe-delimited is because is it possible for the data in it to contain commas, but unlikely that they will contain a "|". Before you convert it to CSV you should probably do a search & replace to get rid any commas that might already be in there that would break the CSV when you try to load it in another app.

I'm attempting to make a 1:24k topo map of the Chicago area using this link as a guide. I downloaded the contour lines and the stream data from the respective USGS sites and uploaded them into GPSMapedit. The contour lines and the water are misaligned such that it looks as if all the water terrain has been shifted about a 1/10th of a mile to the north northeast. What am I missing in the process?

The water comes out the exact place it is in TopoUSA down here in IL by St Louis. Maybe it has something to do with the datum. I use the process and it works fine for me.

Are you adding a layer with just one thing (like a point or small road) in it? If you don't the maps work fine in the GPS, but when you look at them in mapsource, they look like they have a second layer about a 10th of a mile off. Maybe that is your problem. You should have 5 layers, 3 for the topo lines, one with the point or small section of road, and an empty one.

I'd like a copy of your map when you get it done. I've got most of the St. Louis Area done. Where is the best place to post and share our maps?

I'm attempting to make a 1:24k topo map of the Chicago area using this link as a guide. I downloaded the contour lines and the stream data from the respective USGS sites and uploaded them into GPSMapedit. The contour lines and the water are misaligned such that it looks as if all the water terrain has been shifted about a 1/10th of a mile to the north northeast. What am I missing in the process?

Here is the answer I got. Can anyone figure out where to go from here:

Jim Bensman wrote:

> Is that correct? If so do we need anything else in the style file besides

> this statement? What format do we select in gpsbabelGUI and what

> is the

The field delimiter is only the start of your problems. We have improved the doc on building style sheets since 1.3.0. See:

http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/Styles.html

I don't know of any GUI that lets you build these things.

So if there are four fields in your files that you hope to map to something useful, your style definition might look something like:

DESCRIPTION Jim Bensmans thingy

FIELD_DELIMITER |

RECORD_DELIMITER NEWINE

IFIELD DESCRIPTION, "", "%s" # Feature Name

IFIELD SHORTNAME, "", "%s" # ID

IFIELD IGNORE, "", "%s"

IFIELD IGNORE, "", "%s"

IFIELD IGNORE, "", "%s"

IFIELD LAT_SOMETHING, "", "%d"

IFIELD LON_SOMETHING, "", "%d"

The bigger stumbling block for you is the weird lat/lon format in that data. Poking at one of the numbers, it looks like it's in degrees/minutes/seconds with the fields all glommed together. We don't have a format that'll express such a thing. It wouldn't be terribly hard to add to the GPSBabel core, but if you want something NOW (I'm deducing that modifying GPSBabel yourself isn't your gig) you can preprocess these files with your favorite programming language and convert those fields to something more recognizable. I'd recommend decimal degrees since they're easy to manipulate.

I'll put adding these formats to the xcsv modules on my todo list.

RJL

Someone emailed me and told me they will modify gpsbabel if Robert does not do it in the next few days.

So I would suggest we wait for that.

Another question is here what my file says:

[Map]

FileName=My Trails

MapVersion=102

ProductCode=111

Color=32

Levels=2

Level0=20 ' this should be the least detailed (but not empty) layer on your map

Level1=17 ' anything

Zoom0=5

Zoom1=6

MapsourceName=My Trails

MapSetName=My Trails

CDSetName=My Trails

Copy1=Garmin

Copy2=Stan

[End-Map]

[Files]

img=00000118.img

img=00000187.img

[END-Files]

I have three sets (also My Topos and My POIs). They all show up seperately in MapSource but when you go to turn off or on a set in my 60CSX, they are all lumped together under my topos. There is no option for My Trails or MY POIs. The My Topos turns them off and on. Any idea of what is wrong?

Thanks!

It works fine except when you identify it

Has anyone a table to show how the various "Type" in the object properties of MapEdit show up on Mapsource and on the Garmin GPS ?

I see that they don't look the same in appearance and colors on MapSource and the GPS (furthemore in Mapsource they do not show up as on the GPS !) ex: State park, City park, Forest etc "type" !

Lines object label also can only be in uppercase and appear real big compared to the others like nodes.

Have any of you done much with making a lake chart? I have made a couple of maps using the procedures outlined here and tey work great. A friend just picked up a 76Csx and we want to make a detailed lake chart. No need to spend $150 or so to pick up Garmin's bluechart when his boats only resides in one lake.

I have read some of the help files and such, my biggest question is where can I get lake data (depths, bouys, etc.)

Thanks for any help!!

Jeff

Have any of you done much with making a lake chart? I have made a couple of maps using the procedures outlined here and tey work great. A friend just picked up a 76Csx and we want to make a detailed lake chart. No need to spend $150 or so to pick up Garmin's bluechart when his boats only resides in one lake.

I have read some of the help files and such, my biggest question is where can I get lake data (depths, bouys, etc.)

Thanks for any help!!

Jeff

http://nhdgeo.usgs.gov/viewer.htm

you can download shapefiles of hyro data..there is no bathymetric data...that info is pretty hard to come by and is generally not made available to the public..unless it's one of the "bigger" lakes.

Edited by stevesisti

Guys

I've had great success with the methods outlined here, but still have one nagging issue. When I download .shp files with, e.g. roads in them, and imp[ort them into my contour map, GPSmapedit only allows me to assign a single type to them. There is type data for each entry in these .shp files, I can see it when I click on the "fields" tab of the GPSmapedit import dialog. But it is not the hexadecimal format required, it is plain text or a decimal number. How can I globally replace or insert a GPSmapedit compatible type into these .shp files? It's mostly for hydrography I want to do this, but it would be nice for any .shp data.

Thanks!