Gay Cruising Spots

I find a man placing his penis into another man's anus a bit disturbing. And having to come across that in the woods is equally disturbing. And after walking upon that with my 10 year old child and having to explain it is even MORE disturbing yet.

What about coming across two chicks in the woods?

What about a man and woman in the woods?

Are these easier to explain to you child? I would be willing to bet that between the three options above, they probably occur about the same amount of time, so what is the difference?

They should all be drawn and quartered. (HOORAY! We've hit 3 pages now)

Edited by ReadyOrNot

But you also have a responsibility to make it clear to someone who is making sexual advances toward you, that you are not interested. Once you have made that clear, then they probably will go away. If they don't then they are harassing you, regardless of their sexual orientation, and they should be nabbed by the cops for that.

I have a right not to be propositioned by a stranger in the first place. That's a threat of sexual assault. In my state it's illegal. Sex in public is illegal too.

Generally I mind my own business, find the cache, and move on. I'll add the pickle alert icon to my cache log to let anyone else know what to expect. Also I never back into a parking space.

Call me ignorant, but why is that? With my truck I frequently back into spaces, both in urban areas and rural, especially in crowded lots--it's easier to back in than back out. Just curious if the backing into a space has something to do with the pickle alerts..?

Backing into parking places in such areas is considered a sign that you are interested and available.

Ack.

I wondered about the guy parked at the parking area deep in a nearby state forest all by himself midmorning on a weekday. He wasn't doing anything, just sitting there. I went into the woods hunting for a few hours, and when I came out, he was still sitting there. I waved, got in my truck and took off. He was backed into his spot.

I thought it was odd, but it never crossed my mind that that was why he was there.

You'd think by the time you're 30, you'd have all these things figured out.

:o:o

Next time you can introduce yourself! DOH! Sorry. :lol:

Now I am sure to carry one of two (if not both) things. I have my handgun permit and sometimes take it with me when going by myself. But I ALWAYS carry my home made walking stick with me. It's made of seasoned hickory and would do quite a number on anyone.

I do hope that any gay cachers won't take this as being homo-phobic (sp?). That's not it. Nor am I for/against that choice or lifestyle. I just think these people could figure out a better place than public locations for this stuff. Gee, I have an idea...how about AT HOME?

Okay, I'm done ranting now! LOL! :lol:

First off I'm NOT gay. Secondly you were OK going out caching alone & unarmed until you thought someone of the same sex thought you were attractive. Now you think you should bring a gun or club in case someone else of the same sex makes the same mistake? That's not homophobic? Are you sure? Do yourself a favor and leave the gun at home. :o

But you also have a responsibility to make it clear to someone who is making sexual advances toward you, that you are not interested. Once you have made that clear, then they probably will go away. If they don't then they are harassing you, regardless of their sexual orientation, and they should be nabbed by the cops for that.

I have a right not to be propositioned by a stranger in the first place. That's a threat of sexual assault. In my state it's illegal. Sex in public is illegal too.

Kacky, you may not like it, and you may wish to claim that it is illegal, but in our culture, women get propositioned all the time, and in all kinds of places, including by strangers. Why suddenly get so huffy only when it is a male being propositioned? Is it okay when it happens to others but not when it happens to your own gender? Personally, I agree with Headybrew that if and when you are propositioned, all you need to do is make clear that you are not interested. That kind of reply has always worked for me, regardless of the gender of the person who had propositioned me. In more than one case when propositioned by people of both sexes, once I had made clear that I was not interested in sex, we ended up getting into some very interesting conversations and had some fascinating dialogues. What it all boils down to for me is that people are just humans, even if they just propositioned me two minutes ago. Of course, I tend to be very comfortable with myself and with my boundaries, and thus -- except when I am having one of my grouchy, evil anti-social days -- I really do not mind being propositioned by people (or by space aliens :o ), regardless of their gender. It is quite easy to smile in reply and say "No, thanks!" :o:lol:

By the way, when I am in such parks doing cache maintenance on those occasions when I am in the kind of grim evil antisocial mood where I do not even want people looking at me, before I exit my car, I simply don my hardhat, safety vest, tool belt, and gloves, and carry my clipboard and GPSr prominently. Everyone disappears; the park empties out in less than two minutes.

How does dressing up like the guy from the Village People help? Unless you dressed like the cop? :o

Now I am sure to carry one of two (if not both) things. I have my handgun permit and sometimes take it with me when going by myself. But I ALWAYS carry my home made walking stick with me. It's made of seasoned hickory and would do quite a number on anyone.

I do hope that any gay cachers won't take this as being homo-phobic (sp?). That's not it. Nor am I for/against that choice or lifestyle. I just think these people could figure out a better place than public locations for this stuff. Gee, I have an idea...how about AT HOME?

Okay, I'm done ranting now! LOL! :lol:

First off I'm NOT gay. Secondly you were OK going out caching alone & unarmed until you thought someone of the same sex thought you were attractive. Now you think you should bring a gun or club in case someone else of the same sex makes the same mistake? That's not homophobic? Are you sure? Do yourself a favor and leave the gun at home. :o

You said that very well! I had been thinking of saying much the same thing, so thank you!

I came across two teenagers doing a "dry" run in a very open neighborhood park just a couple of days ago. I told them to get the heck out of the park and to show some respect. They were male and female. They got up and left and respected what I asked. If it was two males doing the same thing in the park and I said the same thing, ie: Get the heck out of the park and show some respect, I GUARANTEE they would call me a bigot and a gay basher.

It goes both ways folks. (Maybe I should re-word that?)

Isn't it remarkable that threads discussing gays, guns and micros get a lot of activity?

You forgot religion. :lol:

How's this to keep this thread going for another 2-3 pages?

The Good Book says cruising is immoral. You can't find anything like that there about caching! :o

Kacky, you may not like it, and you may wish to claim that it is illegal, but in our culture, women get propositioned all the time, and in all kinds of places, including by strangers. Why suddenly get so huffy only when it is a male being propositioned? Is it okay when it happens to others but not when it happens to your own gender? Personally, I agree with Headybrew that if and when you are propositioned, all you need to do is make clear that you are not interested. That kind of reply has always worked for me, regardless of the gender of the person who had propositioned me. In more than one case when propositioned by people of both sexes, once I had made clear that I was not interested in sex, we ended up getting into some very interesting conversations and had some fascinating dialogues. What it all boils down to for me is that people are just humans, even if they just propositioned me two minutes ago. Of course, I tend to be very comfortable with myself and with my boundaries, and thus -- except when I am having one of my grouchy, evil anti-social days -- I really do not mind being propositioned by people (or by space aliens :o ), regardless of their gender. It is quite easy to smile in reply and say "No, thanks!" :o:lol:

Maybe it's not obvious I am a woman? Thought the icon would give it away. Anyway, I suppose if it is ok to have that happen to you, you can smile about it and say "no, thanks". Even if it is a person who would go away when told "no", it's not ok for me, to be asked. It's not the same as being offered a piece of gum. I don't see this as a thread about homosexuality.

Edited by Kacky

By the way, when I am in such parks doing cache maintenance on those occasions when I am in the kind of grim evil antisocial mood where I do not even want people looking at me, before I exit my car, I simply don my hardhat, safety vest, tool belt, and gloves, and carry my clipboard and GPSr prominently. Everyone disappears; the park empties out in less than two minutes.

How does dressing up like the guy from the Village People help? Unless you dressed like the cop? :o

As I wrote in an earlier reply, I suspect that it is the matter of looking like an official authority figure that tends to scare off anyone who is at all nervous about their intentions or activities. As I hope I made clear earlier, in the cases where I have worn that gear at the park where our PUC #10 cache is located, it is not only the sex cruisers who seem to disappear, but also the drug dealers, the hookers, the pimps, the bored goth kids with their marijuana cigarettes and their oh-so-disdainful and pouty attitudes, the taggers with their cans of spray paint, the folks clutching their illicit bottle of liquor wrapped in a brown paper bag, the tourists with their cameras, and the strange little old ladies who are obsessed with communing with the feral cats.

Anyway, I only wear that gear on the days when I am feeling cranky and grim and antisocial and do not want to even be looked at by the denizens of the park. I have days like that sometimes. . . I think my report card in grammar school consistently read "Does not play well with others! Tends to bite!" :lol:

Okay, time for a funny but true story:

We live in the mountains, in a wilderness area, adjacent to several state wilderness areas and state parks. There is a well-used state trailhead parking lot located a few yards up the road from our house, and I often walk my dog Toby there every day; we often also cut thru that parking lot to hide caches. The parking lot has been a haven for teenage lovers and indeed, lovers of all ages (yes, if you must know, it is littered with dead slimy whitefish, aka used condominiums), drinkers of all ages, kids smoking pot, and for even a few rare gay cruisers for many dozens of years; I once spoke to a local grandmother who told me with glee that she first made out with her first boyfriend one dark night in his car that very parking lot back in the early 1940s, back when she was a teenager.

One Saturday afternoon a few years ago, I was walking my wonderful and wise beagle Toby thru the parking lot on our way to one of the trails for our daily walk. I noticed a large golden-colored Cadillac with an older man just sitting in it. As we cut across the parking lot twenty minutes later on our return home from our hike, the car and the man were still there, and it was obvious that the man was staring at us; staring very hard and intently, in fact. As we drew parallel to the car, the man rolled the driver's sidw window down, and I could see that the driver was an overweight older male who looked a lot like photos of J. Edgar Hoover in his later years. The man showed his wallet, and peeled a wad of bills out of the wallet. Waving the thick wad of bills out the window with his hand, he called to me and said: "I will be very happy to pay for sex! I will pay lots of money!"

I relied without hesitation: "I know Toby is very cute, but he does not engage in sex with strangers. Thank you anyway! Have a good day!" And, with that, Toby and I continued our journey home. It is important to set appropriate boundaries on behalf of your beagle in this life.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

One of the huge problems in society today that often gets overlooked is the problem of women propositioning men. Often the men are so deeply affected by this problem that it often gets underreported. If this has happened to you, there is hope! Nothing is more degrading and humiliating than when I'm walking down the street and I hear, "Hey hunk, you are looking good today!" I hold back the tears and run as quickly as I can to safety...

I'm not alone! Thank you brother! :o

One of the huge problems in society today that often gets overlooked is the problem of women propositioning men. Often the men are so deeply affected by this problem that it often gets underreported. If this has happened to you, there is hope! Nothing is more degrading and humiliating than when I'm walking down the street and I hear, "Hey hunk, you are looking good today!" I hold back the tears and run as quickly as I can to safety...

LOL Oh my goodness, does everyone who comments on your looks want to have sex with you? :o

Kacky, you may not like it, and you may wish to claim that it is illegal, but in our culture, women get propositioned all the time, and in all kinds of places, including by strangers. Why suddenly get so huffy only when it is a male being propositioned? Is it okay when it happens to others but not when it happens to your own gender? Personally, I agree with Headybrew that if and when you are propositioned, all you need to do is make clear that you are not interested. That kind of reply has always worked for me, regardless of the gender of the person who had propositioned me. In more than one case when propositioned by people of both sexes, once I had made clear that I was not interested in sex, we ended up getting into some very interesting conversations and had some fascinating dialogues. What it all boils down to for me is that people are just humans, even if they just propositioned me two minutes ago. Of course, I tend to be very comfortable with myself and with my boundaries, and thus -- except when I am having one of my grouchy, evil anti-social days -- I really do not mind being propositioned by people (or by space aliens :o ), regardless of their gender. It is quite easy to smile in reply and say "No, thanks!" :P:o

Maybe it's not obvious I am a woman? Thought the icon would give it away. Anyway, I suppose if it is ok to have that happen to you, you can smile about it and say "no, thanks". Even if it is a person who would go away when told "no", it's not ok for me, to be asked. It's not the same as being offered a piece of gum. I don't see this as a thread about homosexuality.

I agree with you totally that this is not a thread about homosexuality (although it is true that one or two posters have tried unsuccessfully to hijack it in that direction). Rather, as is likely obvious from my posts today, I see this as a thread about the stark realities of modern urban (and sometimes rural) parks and how to deal with those realities gracefully and with a modicum of ease and humor. :lol:

BTW, I like your icon, but to me, it did not/does not indicate gender; maybe I missed something. . . I am kinda dense! :o:o:o:(

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

This is my second experience with this.

Since I cache alone and am generally pretty absent-minded, I usually don't notice what is going on until it is too late.

I am used to people being interested in what I am doing while caching, but when the starring and following starts it gets pretty creepy and scarry.

My second experience was at a local wetland reservation where I wanted to place a cache.

It irks me that I can't enjoy these places without being bothered.

Well, considering Sissy and I cache together we've never had a problem.

How does dressing up like the guy from the Village People help? Unless you dressed like the cop? :lol:

As I wrote in an earlier reply, I suspect that it is the matter of looking like an official authority figure that tends to scare off anyone who is at all nervous about their intentions or activities. As I hope I made clear earlier, in the cases where I have worn that gear at the park where our PUC #10 cache is located, it is not only the sex cruisers who seem to disappear, but also the drug dealers, the hookers, the pimps, the bored goth kids with their marijuana cigarettes and their oh-so-disdainful and pouty attitudes, the taggers with their cans of spray paint, the folks clutching their illicit bottle of liquor wrapped in a brown paper bag, the tourists with their cameras, and the strange little old ladies who are obsessed with communing with the feral cats.

Anyway, I only wear that gear on the days when I am feeling cranky and grim and antisocial and do not want to even be looked at by the denizens of the park. I have days like that sometimes. . . I think my report card in grammar school consistently read "Does not play well with others! Tends to bite!" :o

Okay, time for a funny but true story:

We live in the mountains, in a wilderness area, adjacent to several state wilderness areas and state parks. There is a well-used state trailhead parking lot located a few yards up the road from our house, and I often walk my dog Toby there every day; we often also cut thru that parking lot to hide caches. The parking lot has been a haven for teenage lovers (yes, if you must know, it is littered with dead slimy whitefish, aka used condominiums), drinkers of all ages, kids smoking pot, and for even a few rare gay cruisers for many dozens of years; I once spoke to a local grantmother who told me that she first made out with her first boyfriend in that very parking lot near my house back in the 1940s.

One Saturday afternoon a few years ago, I was walking my wonderful and wise beagle Toby thru the lot on our way to one of the trails for our daily walk. I noticed a large golden-colored Cadillac with an older man just sitting in it. As we cut across the parking lot twenty minutes later on our return home from our hike, the car and the man were still there, and it was obvious that the man was staring at us; staring very hard and intently, in fact. As we drew parallel to the car, the man rolled the driver's sidw window down, and I could see that the driver was an overweight older male who looked a lot like photos of J. Edgar Hoover in his later years. The man showed his wallet, and peeled a wad of bills out of the wallet. Waving the thick wad of bills out the window with his hand, he called to me and said: "I will be very happy to pay for sex! I will pay lots of money!"

I relied without hesitation: "I know Toby is very cute, but he does not engage in sex with strangers. Thank you anyway! Have a good day!" And, with that, Toby and I continued our journey home. It is important to set appropriate boundaries on behalf of your beagle in this life.

Come on now. Work with me here. The Village People? :o Don't make me explain it!

Oh sorry, I didn't see the earlier Village People references.

Edited by greenninja5150

LOL Oh my goodness, does everyone who comments on your looks want to have sex with you? :o

To be honest, most women don't say anything. When I'm talking to them, they are always looking at my bicepts and I have to remind them "Hey! My eyes are up here!". It's generally the women who work construction that are the biggest problem.

I've actually come across two guys "getting busy."

I've been in the woods my whole life and learned at an early age to make little noise when walking around. It helps with photography and nature study. Anyway, I was quietly walking alone on a back trail to get to a cache- but maybe a little too quietly.

They saw me and froze- and I did too. After a moment that seemed to last an hour, I realized I had just walked in on something I wasn't supposed to see- and kept walking. It was more comical than terrifying, and the look on their faces was priceless- I still get a chuckle out of it. And no, I didn't call the cops- nor would I for a heterosexual couple.

Now, if I saw a bunch of gang members in the woods- that would be a different story.

Use common sense out there- there are all kinds of people in this world, some good, some not so good. I also don't think it is a wise idea for solo ladies to be out alone in the woods. This is not chauvinistic- just realistic. Our criminal justice system tends to let sex offenders out all too frequently.

The comments about carrying firearms and pepper spray seem a bit severe, and there is obviously some homophobia on this thread. Instead, why not try to get an idea of what kind of place you are trudging off into before you leave your car? Are there people hanging around that make you feel uncomfortable? Suspicious characters just sitting in their cars staring at you? Tons of graffiti, garbage, and disturbing leftovers, like condoms? Then maybe you should just try to find another cache. Is one more log really THAT important?

By the way, when I am in such parks dong cache maintenance on those occasions when I am in the kind of grim evil antisocial mood where I do not even want people looking at me, before I exit my car, I simply don my hardhat, safety vest, tool belt, and gloves, and carry my clipboard and GPSr prominently. Everyone disappears; the park empties out in less than two minutes.

A hardhat, toolbelt, and clipboard - instant invisibility cloaking. As well as a master key to just about everything in the world! My favorite!

Right, that might help to be ignored, go to a GCS dressed as one of the The Village People. :o

I didn't see this post! Great minds think alike!

We have a cache in a park well known as a gay cruising area in the most urban part of Seattle. The cache is old, pushing close to 300 finds and is an ammo can too. Only two or three logs have ever mentioned anything about the cruising.

If you have a kid, dog, GPS or any combination of those in tow, the "bush bunnies" will ignore you. If you cache in a gay cruising area, the one thing that you need to watch for are gay bashers. If you are a single guy rooting through the bushes, you are a target.

Calling the police, writing the newspaper, etc won't do any good, looking for sex is as old as the hills. You eliminate it in one area and it will find another, like your neighborhood park.

Of course, the "night caching subculture" is seen by many as "threatening".

Have you seen some of those monster dogs people walk in the park at night? I find that threatening.

In fact, I find those dark and lonely and evil looking wooded areas threatening in general. With all their bobcats and disease-laden tick-things, and mountain lions, and boogie-men lurking about. I think we should just napalm the lot of 'em.

Who's with me?

NAPALM THE FORESTS!

Can I get a witness?

AMEN! Pave the world! :o

Instead, why not try to get an idea of what kind of place you are trudging off into before you leave your car? Are there people hanging around that make you feel uncomfortable? Suspicious characters just sitting in their cars staring at you? Tons of graffiti, garbage, and disturbing leftovers, like condoms? Then maybe you should just try to find another cache. Is one more log really THAT important?

Exactly. We avoid those parks for that reason. We can ignore the caches. I appreciate it when people state on the cache page that it is a park known for that kind of behavior. That is how we deal with those kinds of areas.

I shuddered when I saw this topic. I immediately thought it should have simply been called "Cruising Spots". Yes, I have seen straight couples and gay couples having sex. I have stepped over used condos and needles, seen drug deals and fights...It all comes down to common sense. Observe your surroundings. If it's trashy, it's going to be trashy in more ways than one. I've been propositioned by men and women, I say "no thanks" and move on. The point is, it's not just gay couples out there, it's anyone. It's homeless men and women, it's prostitutes and johns, drug dealers and punks bent on destroying anything. It's not straight or gay. It's anyone.

Just be observant, if it looks creepy and feels creepy...don't go there. That log is not so important. :o

Who cares? Dragging your kids into an urban park after dark is consent for them to see all kinds of stuff. Don't do it. As far as consenting adults go? If it bothers you - watch your GPS instead. Most people do anyway... :unsure:

Sheesh, just go find the cache and mind your own business...

The activity takes place at all hours of the day and night. I was chased down and assaulted right at mid-day, near the cache I was logging in a well-kept suburban park. Watching the GPS and minding my own business was a BIG mistake. I've since learned to become more aware of my surroundings, and less trusting that people will leave me alone. I also carry pepper spray.

APPLAUSE!!!! Very well put, Leprechauns!

Backing in means I'm available?? Wow at church on Saturday nights, there's a lot of cruising. most of us with trucks back in to 'pull out quickly "! In '85 I was in a meeeting at a defunct hospital in Kansas City. It's next to the Liberty Memorial, a well known local cruising spot. Large tower, like Coit tower in SF. Well, I got caught in the traffic circle by construction driving 3 times in a circle. I'm not bragging, but i got plenty of attention. The school girls on the bus laughed, pointed and I think said something like my "tags" were something, couldn't understand them.

As far as weapons, file the front sight down, it's easier when it's shoved somewhere else. Justify the use of force in that situation

Just walk away. Like encountering wildlife, leave it alone. Foisting your beliefs on them is justt what you are accusing them of. I don't agree nor do I condone it. I'm not God and I don't judge.

As far as explaining it to my kids, hey that's still my job as a parent. Just like explaining what two dogs are doing. (ok, I'm not comparing gays to dogs, pre-emptive correction)

Also, homophobia is an "irrational fear", like all phobias. I don't fear them, nor should anyone else. There will be a time for judgement, and caching isn't the place. jeez, let's have fun.

By the way, which version of the bible bans cruising?? Twelve years of Catholic school and I never heard, "Thou shalt not cruise". Must be in the Dead Sea scrolls, or i slept during that part.

Please, do go on! I could write a doctoral thesis from the contents of this thread alone.

Adrenalynn, once again, you have demonstrated your insight and brilliance! I agree with you! (No, this does NOT mean that I forgive you for scheduling a competing geo event in August 2035!!!)

Incidentally, in closing, much as I have said in my other posts regarding the gay cruisers, straight sex cruisers, hookers, pimps, johns, drug dealers, drug users, youth gangs, gangbangers, taggers, alcoholic transients, goths and other denizens of modern urban parks, I feel that the few poeple here who have accidentally ended up sounding like bigots are just humans and simply children of God, and, like the others listed above, I love them all and I judge none of them!

And thank you all for a fascinating and fun thread on the realities of modern life! I have, at times in the past twelve hours, been rolling on the floor in both laughter and convulsions as I read this thread!

Lastly, having just written about "modern life", in reality, I must agree with a recent poster that most of these activities have actually been with the human race since before the beginning of recorded history.

Who cares? Dragging your kids into an urban park after dark is consent for them to see all kinds of stuff. Don't do it. As far as consenting adults go? If it bothers you - watch your GPS instead. Most people do anyway... :unsure:

The activity takes place at all hours of the day and night. I was chased down and assaulted right at mid-day, near the cache I was logging in a well-kept suburban park. Watching the GPS and minding my own business was a BIG mistake. I've since learned to become more aware of my surroundings, and less trusting that people will leave me alone. I also carry pepper spray.

Was it watching the GPS that led you into trouble, or were they attracted to the hamsters you were planning to leave in the cache?

LOL Oh my goodness, does everyone who comments on your looks want to have sex with you? :unsure:

To be honest, most women don't say anything. When I'm talking to them, they are always looking at my bicepts and I have to remind them "Hey! My eyes are up here!". It's generally the women who work construction that are the biggest problem.

It's like a curse, isn't it? ;)

Lastly, having just written about "modern life", in reality, I must agree with a recent poster that most of these activities have actually been with the human race since before the beginning of recorded history.

So has rape. Don't mean we gotta put up with it.

Lep, how many times do I have to tell you? They weren't after you. They wanted the hamsters!!! ;)

I have been approached by gay men while caching. Usually, there's no problem, but there are more aggressive men out there who don't want to take no for an answer. The type of person looking for sex in a public park is also, IMHO, more likely to be the type who doesn't 'play well with others'. In other words: more dangerous, possibly psychopathic, addicted to sex, high on their own adrenaline from the 'chase' and illicit behaviour, etc...

I seem to recall this coming up the forum before and hearing about a cacher or cacher's friend who had been killed because he tried to refuse the advances of someone in a park. Anyone else remember this?

Aside from backing in to the parking spaces, I've noticed that most of the men I run across in these spots also are wearing what smells like an entire bottle of cologne. icon8.gif

Edit: OBMB! B)

Edited by E = Mc2

This issue of innapropriate behavior in public parks was hashed out before here. Rude, Disgusting And Downright Illegal Behavior , and here Gay Crusing Areas. Too bad the SEARCH Function isn't often used.

My advice is to post a note on your cache page regarding the behavior, so cachers can decide for themselves if they want to look for the cache.

If you want to "retake" the park from these people, document the activity, and report it to the local Police or Sheriff, and mention it to the local media to. This should cause enough uproar from the local citizenry to make it stop. If live in an area where this type of activity is condoned, chances are it isn't going to stop.

Too bad people can't control their "urges" in public :unsure: .

Edited by Kit Fox

I shuddered when I saw this topic. I immediately thought it should have simply been called "Cruising Spots". Yes, I have seen straight couples and gay couples having sex.

Well put!

I think most of the posts on this thread are balanced, in that they don't condone certain behaviors regardless of the orientation of the individuals involved. However, there are some that are indeed homophobic and downright hatefull. Some of those posts are obvious, in some, I don't think that the poster even realises how their statements are harmfull. :unsure:

Please remember, there are people of all orientations that are geocachers.

"/GB"

:unsure:;)B)

details, details, details. Your posts are made in the details. B)

As far as this topic is concerned:

I would be uncomfortable to find myself in a place like this, but not because of the gender of people involved. I certainly don't have a problem with gay people personally. As far as the outdoors thing is concerned, let's just say that I'd be a hypocrite if I said I had a problem with everyone who has ever let mother nature be a witness to their wild side once or twice. B)

To the person who was saying "gay people are non-violent": May be true in general, but I am not foolish enough to make the generalization that the people you find in places like this are a good representation of the homosexual population. I am sure that most gay people do not participate in this activity, merely because most people don't.

So why would I be uncomfortable? Is it because they're gay? No. It's because I don't feel comfortable around people while they happen to be in the middle of something like that. I'd feel the same way if I walked into any couple, straight, gay, old, young, let alone many couples in one spot. Also, the anonymous nature of the activity lends to the confusion that I might be there looking for some action myself, which will never be the case. I wouldn't mind being propositioned, as long as they were polite about it. It's happened to me before, and in many ways, sometimes direct, sometimes indirect. No big deal, but if someone starts following, chasing, or otherwise entering my "sphere of control" without my permission, they are going to have a big, big problem!

And I ALWAYS back my truck in, if someone get's the wrong idea, it's their fault.

PS. Adrenalynn: Your sphere of control is way too small.

YuccaPatrol

post Yesterday, 03:43 PM

Post #28

The trick to protecting the cache and your geocaching activity is to blend into the environment so that you look like you belong there.

That is why my caching kit includes a pair of sparkly hot pants and a tight tank top for these kinds of caches.

:unsure:;)

I wondered why some people carry hamsters with spandex racing shorts.

I'm just trying to say that there is alot of inaccurate generalization going on in this thread. I'm not saying anyone is lying. I believe everyones stories. I just don't think you can blame all the beer cans, needles, condoms etc. solely on one group of people.

You are correct.

You can not blame all of the above on one group of people. The men who spend all their free time hanging out in public parks looking for sex are just the obvious ones, though; especially since they can and occasionally do aggressively approach uninterested parties. Sexual preference is not the point here, I do believe. It's the general unlawfulness of a small group of people that we are discussing. I would think that most people, either gay or straight, would not want to be chased all over a park by some man who refuses to take no for an answer. And yes, it's happened to me at one of my caches.

Hey! We met at the 'Road Rally' event in E'town, remember? :unsure:

What about people who have sex with animals? They don't have ANY clubs/stables they can go to to 'hook up'. Shouldn't they be protected also? If anyone says it's disgusting, then you are being closed minded and a bigot! People are just born that way and can't help that they have desires to pleasure themselves with livestock.

Sure they do! It's called 'The Internet'. :unsure:

I was even propositioned in one once. I told the guy I wasn't interested and he left me alone.

I certainly don't seek these locations out - not my thing (not that there's anything wrong with that :unsure: ), but on the handful of occations that I've gone to one of these type of places (to walk my dogs), that was my experience: make it clear you are NOT there for "companionship" and in every instance, they moved on.

Just 'cause their gate swings in a different direction does NOT make them rapists! ;)

I've seen pretty waitresses on a Friday night be treated much worse - does your wife/girlfriend run away from those resturaunts?!?

By the way, when I am in such parks dong cache maintenance on those occasions when I am in the kind of grim evil antisocial mood where I do not even want people looking at me, before I exit my car, I simply don my hardhat, safety vest, tool belt, and gloves, and carry my clipboard and GPSr prominently. Everyone disappears; the park empties out in less than two minutes.

A hardhat, toolbelt, and clipboard - instant invisibility cloaking. As well as a master key to just about everything in the world! My favorite!

Y.......M.......CA :unsure:

Okay, I'm done ranting now! LOL! :unsure:

First off I'm NOT gay. Secondly you were OK going out caching alone & unarmed until you thought someone of the same sex thought you were attractive. Now you think you should bring a gun or club in case someone else of the same sex makes the same mistake? That's not homophobic? Are you sure? Do yourself a favor and leave the gun at home. ;)

Wrong. I was OK going out caching alone at 1 p.m. in the afternoon, during a week day, until I was followed into the woods and then followed in my truck. I've been "approached" by homosexuals before and never had a problem. In the past they always left me alone when I politely turned them down. This time the guy was too persistent for me to be comfortable.

As for the gun, we won't go there. That's a whole different can of worms that has been discussed in these forums before and I don't see the point in discussing it here. To each his own.

In the meantime, I just think gays, hetrosexuals, barnyard sodomy lovers and whoever else need to keep their stuff out of the public places so that the responsible public can enjoy the areas for what they were meant to be used! Can I get an "Amen"?!!?

B)

Should I post or not ?

Basically this topic is outside my normal area of concern, so I was torn between posting and simply pressing the "back" icon.

There did however seem to me to be a particularly glaring absence of one single question, and any answers to it on this topic.

Having satisfied my own curiosity with some pointed googling, I will only post the question, and not any answers that I may have concluded.

Are there any meaningful statistics or studies showing that in fact this behaviour of "cruising for anonymous sex" in parks is in fact exhibited in equal per capita numbers by straight and gay people ?

If the answer to this above question is "Yes - and hetero people do it as much as gay" then we can basically remove the word gay from any discussion on public sexual behaviour in parks. If on the other hand the answer is "Yes - and it is more commonly done by gay people" then this discussion is on topic.

Isn't it remarkable that threads discussing gays, guns and micros get a lot of activity?

You forgot religion. :unsure:

How's this to keep this thread going for another 2-3 pages?

The Good Book says cruising is immoral. You can't find anything like that there about caching! B)

If money is the root of all evil then why do they always pass the collection plate at chruches and temples? ;)