Gay Cruising Spots

Similar Hazard, while concentrating on the erratic Garmin compass in a park, I felt unusual vibes. I was in the centre of a grassy area used by couples. The hostile stares clearly saw me as a voyeur, I abandoned imi.

Not necessarily an accurate generalization. In some locations, especially more urban areas, the activity and solicitation is more, shall we say, aggressive.

Yep. I'd characterize being followed all the way to the cache, then being chased/stalked, then being flushed out of a hiding spot in a thicket and getting grabbed, as "aggressive."

I would also call my right uppercut "aggressive." :o

If the litter in question is condoms, beer cans and needles left behind at a cruising site, we should not 'mind our own business' for fear of offending a homosexual.

I don't think you meant this the way it sounded, but it seems you are lumping all these activities together with being a homosexual. I truly doubt that is the case.

That being said, if these areas are just cruising sites I would have no problem at all visiting them. First because gay men typically mind their own business. Second, gay men are typically nonviolent. If there was sexual activity going on it should be turned in. No one has to put up with that from homosexuals or heterosexuals. If there is drug use going on that should also be reported. No one group should have exclusive use of a public park. It is there for everyone to enjoy.

There is a park near where I live that is a known gay cruising spot. I have been here for other activities and in no way felt threatened, nor was I followed or watched. I tend to worry more about the heterosexual teenagers than I do homosexual men.

This is just my opinion, I am not trying to flame anyone or start trouble.

Your post was not even close to flame bait--thanks for the civility.

I think you may have misunderstood my meaning. This thread concerns gay cruising sites. When you find discarded underwear, needles and condoms, see cruising, and later learn the park is a cruising site, it's fairly safe to say the litter is cruising related. I realize that non-gay groups litter; leave cans and needles around etc. All I'm trying to say is that it is wrong no matter the orientation, and nowadays Americans let PC cloud thier common sense.

And you're probably right. Straight male teens may propose more of a problem than gay males. If teens were following me or littering or having sex in public, I'd turn them in too. I'm just saying lets not 'ignore' the illegal activity go for fear of offending homosexuals.

Edited by NotNutts
If the litter in question is condoms, beer cans and needles left behind at a cruising site, we should not 'mind our own business' for fear of offending a homosexual.

I don't think you meant this the way it sounded, but it seems you are lumping all these activities together with being a homosexual. I truly doubt that is the case.

That being said, if these areas are just cruising sites I would have no problem at all visiting them. First because gay men typically mind their own business. Second, gay men are typically nonviolent. If there was sexual activity going on it should be turned in. No one has to put up with that from homosexuals or heterosexuals. If there is drug use going on that should also be reported. No one group should have exclusive use of a public park. It is there for everyone to enjoy.

There is a park near where I live that is a known gay cruising spot. I have been here for other activities and in no way felt threatened, nor was I followed or watched. I tend to worry more about the heterosexual teenagers than I do homosexual men.

This is just my opinion, I am not trying to flame anyone or start trouble.

A few cachers in the Southern suburbs of Chicago have been followed into the woods and propositioned. One of the Forest Preserves is now called Brokeback Woods and it will fit a few others. I was propositioned in a restroom in one once. I have been followed and propositioned a couple times when I was younger. One guy offered me money for sex, I offered to knock his teeth out for free. I don't have a problem with them if they live that lifestyle, I just don't want them around me.

I'm a Lesbian trapped in a man's body, so I have no use for a man!

Who cares? Dragging your kids into an urban park after dark is consent for them to see all kinds of stuff. Don't do it. As far as consenting adults go? If it bothers you - watch your GPS instead. Most people do anyway... :o

Sheesh, just go find the cache and mind your own business...

Adrenalynn, very well put! Thanks for saying it that way!

I respectfully disagree. If these parks were filled with heterosexuals backing into each other's parking spaces, I'd still say it's wrong. Just because they're gay doesn't give them carte blanche. And it's not just 'after dark'. I have no problem minding my own business until followed, or I have to explain to my kids what the 2 naked men were doing on the trail.

Let's not let our common sense be clouded by political correctness. If someone was blatantly littering, we'd be up in arms, as most geocachers care about the environment. If the litter in question is condoms, beer cans and needles left behind at a cruising site, we should not 'mind our own business' for fear of offending a homosexual.

Well, for me, my approach to the matter is not about political correctness, aka PC, but rather just a pragmatic and sane approach suggested by my heart. And, as I have mentioned earlier in my own posts on this topic, I have not been addressing only gay cruising activity at such parks, but rather a far wider range of activities, much as listed earlier in my aforementioned posts and on my cache listing page linked as a sample. In any case, when I consult my rational mind, rather than my heart, on this matter, well, my mind reminds me that successful coexistence in our world is built on a bit of mutual tolerance. To wit, there are some parks (including National Parks) and other places where geocaching is now illegal, and some other current threads on this forum demonstrate that there is an organized group of hunters which confiscates geocaches located on one of the PA state game lands, and that some radical environmentalists (and also some LNT advocates) have decided that geocaches are not environmentally correct and should be removed. There was a recent and thankfully brief foxfire about the same matter in the kayaking and river rafting community, where some prominent rafters and kayakers decided that geocaches are very environmentally incorrect and should be banned. So, there are some folks out there who frown on geocaching even more than you may frown on the other activities mentioned here.

I'm just trying to say that there is alot of inaccurate generalization going on in this thread. I'm not saying anyone is lying. I believe everyones stories. I just don't think you can blame all the beer cans, needles, condoms etc. solely on one group of people.

Very well said! I agree! I suspect that some folks are taking all the things they see in a park of which they disapprove, and are blaming them to one subculture or one type of activity, when in fact, much as we point out on our cache listing page cited above for PUC #10, such phenomena are often due to a wide range of subcultures and activities.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team
A few cachers in the Southern suburbs of Chicago have been followed into the woods and propositioned. One of the Forest Preserves is now called Brokeback Woods and it will fit a few others. I was propositioned in a restroom in one once. I have been followed and propositioned a couple times when I was younger. One guy offered me money for sex, I offered to knock his teeth out for free. I don't have a problem with them if they live that lifestyle, I just don't want them around me.

Try being a women for a couple of months :o . You get propositioned all the time. Maybe we just learn to live with it!!

I'm a Lesbian trapped in a man's body, so I have no use for a man!

:lol: Good one

KFC, I was just thinking something very similar to that - re: getting hit on, even aggressively and obnoxiously, all the time. Guys just don't know how to deal with it, I guess.

But look, I wasn't defending homosexuals in political correctness. The fact is: I couldn't freakin' care less. About _any_ group. There's a space six feet around my body. My sphere of control. Anything out side of that is a big 'so what'. Then there's the "inner sphere" at just out of arms-reach. Anything entering that without my permission is subject to immediate death and dismemberment.

Keep it outside of that, and I really don't care what you do. Unless someone else is non-consenting and wishes to proxy their inner sphere of control to me. Then the "death and dismemberment" clause applies. I have enough interesting, concerning, hairy, amusing, frightening, exciting, ..., etc stuff going on inside my own sphere of control. I really don't need to be paying attention to what's outside of it, other than to make sure nothing is about to enter it by surprise.

I'm just trying to say that there is alot of inaccurate generalization going on in this thread. I'm not saying anyone is lying. I believe everyones stories. I just don't think you can blame all the beer cans, needles, condoms etc. solely on one group of people.

Very well said! I agree! I suspect that somef folks are taking all the things they see in a park of which they disapprove, and are blaming them to one subculture or one type of activity, when in fact, much as we point out on our cache listing page cited above for PUC #10, such phenomena are often due to a wide range of subcultures and activities.

Don't misunderstand my statements as trying to lump it all on one subculture. That wasn't my intention. I was referring to several different activities that occour in the local forest preserves. They are engaged in by all kinds of people. Kids hiding out and drinking and partying around a camp fire or people looking for partners to hitch up with or people who know that they can drive in, meet up for a drug deal and get out without little risk of being seen.

I think one of the reasons that forest preserves and such are popular for this is that many are areas that are surrounded by acres or even miles of wilderness. Many are very quiet and desolate during certain times. Some are chained off after sunset and while you might not be able to drive in, you can easilly walk in and there are people who, I am sure, walk in after dark. They know that nobody will be wandering through. With some being pretty secluded, even during the day, there are people who just go there to do things that they know that they can't get away with in the public eye. Truth is though, that they are still using public spaces and innocent people who have equal rights to that land have the right to expect that they or their families and children won't wander upon this activity. It doesn't really matter who is doing it.

Personally, I think any group of strangers 'hooking up' is rather disgraceful. Especially leaving evidence of the disgusting act behind for others to find. I'm not sure why it is (just making an observation here), but you often see deviant behavior paraded in public places and not behind closed doors. I personally feel that it shouldn't take place anywhere, but if you are going to shoot needles or engage in dangerous sex, it ought to be in a private place where others aren't going to happen across it.

It's good to know about the backing-in to parking places, because I would have not known that info (I personally think I wouldn't be very appealing anyways)

Thanks for the heads up!

think one of the reasons that forest preserves and such are popular for this is that many are areas that are surrounded by acres or even miles of wilderness. Many are very quiet and desolate during certain times. Some are chained off after sunset and while you might not be able to drive in, you can easilly walk in and there are people who, I am sure, walk in after dark. They know that nobody will be wandering through. With some being pretty secluded, even during the day, there are people who just go there to do things that they know that they can't get away with in the public eye. Truth is though, that they are still using public spaces and innocent people who have equal rights to that land have the right to expect that they or their families and children won't wander upon this activity. It doesn't really matter who is doing it.

I agree 100%. I think I will bow out of this topic now.wmas1960 said exactly what I was trying to convey. I could not do it any better.

Very well said! I agree! I suspect that somef folks are taking all the things they see in a park of which they disapprove, and are blaming them to one subculture or one type of activity, when in fact, much as we point out on our cache listing page cited above for PUC #10, such phenomena are often due to a wide range of subcultures and activities.

Don't misunderstand my statements as trying to lump it all on one subculture. That wasn't my intention. I was referring to several different activities that occour in the local forest preserves. They are engaged in by all kinds of people. Kids hiding out and drinking and partying around a camp fire or people looking for partners to hitch up with or people who know that they can drive in, meet up for a drug deal and get out without little risk of being seen.

I think one of the reasons that forest preserves and such are popular for this is that many are areas that are surrounded by acres or even miles of wilderness. Many are very quiet and desolate during certain times. Some are chained off after sunset and while you might not be able to drive in, you can easilly walk in and there are people who, I am sure, walk in after dark. They know that nobody will be wandering through. With some being pretty secluded, even during the day, there are people who just go there to do things that they know that they can't get away with in the public eye. Truth is though, that they are still using public spaces and innocent people who have equal rights to that land have the right to expect that they or their families and children won't wander upon this activity. It doesn't really matter who is doing it.

My sentiments exactly. All the other subcultures doing illegal/threatening activities in parks/state forests are wrong too. We're just addressing the gay cruising in this thread.

And yes, I am talking about things I disapprove of, like public sex (gay or otherwise), littering, and stalking. And the generalization I'm making is that it's wrong, generally.

And concerning the comment about girls being propositioned by guys all the time, I think thats wrong, too. No less or more wrong then guys proposition guys in the bathroom.

This is my second experience with this.

Since I cache alone and am generally pretty absent-minded, I usually don't notice what is going on until it is too late.

I am used to people being interested in what I am doing while caching, but when the starring and following starts it gets pretty creepy and scarry.

My second experience was at a local wetland reservation where I wanted to place a cache.

It irks me that I can't enjoy these places without being bothered.

What do you do? Here is the solution. If someone solicits you, tell them you are straight and not interested. That should end it right there. If it doesn't, do like you would if a woman was soliciting you and would not stop hounding you. Get in your car and leave, or call the police.

You can enjoy these places. So can they.

I think most everyone who has posted to this thread has been completely disrespectful to the gay community by the way they have made little jokes and portrayed them as aggressive sexual animals. Yeah, maybe some of you were approached by someone who wanted to score. The only problem is, you may willingly or not gave them signals you were interested. Here is an example.........you backed into the parking spot, then you waved at them, then you kept looking at them. If you were them, what would you think? If I were gay and these were signs, I would say hey, Bob over there looks interested in some action. He backed in, waved me over and kept looking my way. Maybe he is just playing hard to get.

I think you guys are forgetting something, gay people at certain parks have been around a lot longer than geocaching. You are encroaching on them, not them encroaching on you.

One of the huge problems in society today that often gets overlooked is the problem of women propositioning men. Often the men are so deeply affected by this problem that it often gets underreported. If this has happened to you, there is hope! Nothing is more degrading and humiliating than when I'm walking down the street and I hear, "Hey hunk, you are looking good today!" I hold back the tears and run as quickly as I can to safety...

Of course, the "night caching subculture" is seen by many as "threatening".

Have you seen some of those monster dogs people walk in the park at night? I find that threatening.

In fact, I find those dark and lonely and evil looking wooded areas threatening in general. With all their bobcats and disease-laden tick-things, and mountain lions, and boogie-men lurking about. I think we should just napalm the lot of 'em.

Who's with me?

NAPALM THE FORESTS!

Can I get a witness?

Well, I have had the same problem. I parked at a trailhead at our local DNR property (didn't back in though), got out of my truck and started walking. A guy pulled up, rolled down his window and started talking in a very direct way. I kind of ignored him and started walking in on the trail to find the cache. The guy then got out of his car and started following me. I simply turned around and walked back to the truck, totally ignoring him as I walked past. That should have been the end of the story, right?

Well, I drove down the county road a bit towards another cache location. As I was driving, I looked up in the rear view mirror and the dude is following me! He was driving a small car so I floored it and put some space between us. After about five or six miles, he finally got the hint (or so I thought), stopped and turned around. I drove around a bit and thought he was gone for good, so I headed back to the original trailhead to find that first cache. As soon as I got out of the truck, who do you think came pulling up in his little car? Yep, Mr. Happy himself. At this point I was beyond uncomfortable and just plain p*ssed off. I got back in the truck and left some tread from my tires on the pavement as I left. I would like to think he got the hint, but I doubt it.

Now I am sure to carry one of two (if not both) things. I have my handgun permit and sometimes take it with me when going by myself. But I ALWAYS carry my home made walking stick with me. It's made of seasoned hickory and would do quite a number on anyone.

I do hope that any gay cachers won't take this as being homo-phobic (sp?). That's not it. Nor am I for/against that choice or lifestyle. I just think these people could figure out a better place than public locations for this stuff. Gee, I have an idea...how about AT HOME?

Okay, I'm done ranting now! LOL! :o

I'm not trying to insult you, but your reaction is exactly the definition of homophobic. The problem is that you didn't understand what was going on in the situation well enough. When you got back in your truck the first time you thought you were sending him a hint that you weren't interested. But the message he most likely got was, "I'm too shy to say it, so just follow me home".

If you'd have given a direct hint, like saying, "I'm straight, sorry". Then he most likely would have run away in embarassment.

Why did he go back to the same place afterward? for the same reason you did. Because he hadn't found what he was looking for yet. Where else would you expect him to find it? Should he look for it in church on sunday?

Here's a thought. One of the subcultures I belong to is 'Military'. I understand defending my subculture with pride. However, when people in my subculture step outside the bounds, I am ashamed they are associated with my subculture and do not defend thier activities. Abu Ghraib comes to mind.

I understand the most homosexuals are not predatory pigs. All I'm saying is the few who are deserve punishment, not defense.

Here, let me fix that for you so you don't look like I view you as looking right now:

>> "I understand the most people are not predatory pigs. All I'm saying is the few who are deserve punishment, not defense."

Also true. Again, I point to the thread title.

"Where else would you expect him to find it? Should he look for it in church on sunday?"

I think the main thing people on here are saying is if they want that lifestyle, ok, just keep it to yourself. Just because somebody goes to a park or Nature Preserve, doesn't mean that they are cruising for a date or drugs. The parks and preserves are there for everyone to enjoy. A parent shouldn't have to explain to a child why two people are wrestling in the underbrush squealing like pigs.

In a metropolitan area like Chicago, there are plenty of bars and private meeting places for "alternative lifestyles". If they want to meet somewhere else, fine, but take the action home or to the "No Tell Motel", don't expose the rest of the population to it, no matter how much excitement the possibility of getting caught adds to the experience.

And what half a dozen people are doing off in the bushes holding weird blinking things in their hands, kicking over rocks, and with luck, squeeling like pigs a few minutes later.

I find it disturbing that you would compare my geocaching to someone placing "something" where feces comes out. There's a bit of a difference. Maybe there's a perception problem, but when it comes down to it, the activities are quite different.

When is this thread going to be killed?

And what half a dozen people are doing off in the bushes holding weird blinking things in their hands, kicking over rocks, and with luck, squeeling like pigs a few minutes later.

LOL. We're all part of an alternative lifestyle here at GC.com

I find it disturbing that you would compare my geocaching to someone placing "something" where feces comes out. There's a bit of a difference. Maybe there's a perception problem, but when it comes down to it, the activities are quite different.

Aha. So there it is.

It has nothing to do with how one should comport ones self if they should find themselves in "a gay cruising spot" - it's just simply a "hey, let's pick some group and bash them!" thread... Whew. Nice we have that out in the open!

I'm sure you would find it disturbing. I would tell you why I'm certain, but that would be labled as a "personal attack". "Personal Attacks" are frowned upon here, but picking an entire subset of our culture and directly attacking them openly is encouraged.

Woah! Look at that! I wanted to go to "forums.Groundspeak.com/GC" but I ended-up at "forums.gaybashing.com/GB" Wow. Those typos are gonna get me yet!

Edited by Adrenalynn

LOL. We're all part of an alternative lifestyle here at GC.com

Yup, we are. And people who live in glass houses should probably curtail their morning golfing activities, if ya catch my drift.

Isn't it ironic that we have a stereotype of gays as being overly well-groomed neat-freaks and at the same time we talk about them like they are all throwing dirtly condoms and litter all over the park? Which is it? Neat-freaks with designer wardrobes and an interest in opera and wine? Or drug crazed pedophiles who stalk straight men and throw used condoms all over the public parks? I'd venture a guess that neither stereotype describes the total population.

Just a thought.

Aha. So there it is.

It has nothing to do with how one should comport ones self if they should find themselves in "a gay cruising spot" - it's just simply a "hey, let's pick some group and bash them!" thread... Whew. Nice we have that out in the open!

I'm sure you would find it disturbing. I would tell you why I'm certain, but that would be labled as a "personal attack". "Personal Attacks" are frowned upon here, but picking an entire subset of our culture and directly attacking them openly is encouraged.

Personally, I have no doubt who is "the sick-o" betwixt the two groups.

Excuse me? I don't want to see anything in the woods that I wouldn't feel comfortable writing in the forum. If it disturbs you what I wrote, don't blame me.. I'm not the one doing it in the woods. Yes, I do find it disturbing. I find a man placing his penis into another man's anus a bit disturbing. And having to come across that in the woods is equally disturbing. And after walking upon that with my 10 year old child and having to explain it is even MORE disturbing yet. Am I missing something here or am I in the twilight zone. Am I required to say, "Sodomy is fantastic!" or else be labeled a "Bigot"??? Sorry... I'm NOT a bigot and I think sodomy is NOT fantastic.

If you find sodomy between men exciting and fun, GREAT! Keep it to yourself. I don't want any part of it.

Considering the fact that Geocaching is a legal use of public property and there are laws prohibiting sex in public, I don't see that this thread is bashing when someone says things like "that should be done in private". If you choose to hang out to meet someone, hey, that is up to you. But the "hooking up" by homo or hetero should not be in public places. And yes, the police should be notified.

Considering the fact that Geocaching is a legal use of public property and there are laws prohibiting sex in public, I don't see that this thread is bashing when someone says things like "that should be done in private". If you choose to hang out to meet someone, hey, that is up to you. But the "hooking up" by homo or hetero should not be in public places. And yes, the police should be notified.

My accusation of bashing specifically quoted a post, of which you are not referencing.

Please, do go on! I could write a doctoral thesis from the contents of this thread alone.

I'm hoping that of some point, somebody with the power will kill this thread so I can go outside and find a geocache. In fact, let's all log off and go find some geocaches!

Please, do go on! I could write a doctoral thesis from the contents of this thread alone.

I'm hoping that of some point, somebody with the power will kill this thread so I can go outside and find a geocache. In fact, let's all log off and go find some geocaches!

So you are unable to walk away as long as this thread is open, eh? Interesting. Tell me more.

So you are unable to walk away as long as this thread is open, eh? Interesting. Tell me more.

Well it all started when I was about 8 years old......

Here's a thought. One of the subcultures I belong to is 'Military'. I understand defending my subculture with pride. However, when people in my subculture step outside the bounds, I am ashamed they are associated with my subculture and do not defend thier activities. Abu Ghraib comes to mind.

Yes, but I think we have to consider why they are stepping outside the bounds. The bounds set by our cultur are extremely restrictive. For example, a bar is a common place for people to hit on each other. Suppose a gay person went to an ordinary bar and hit on a member of the same sex. Somebody would probably end up in a hospital with a broken jaw.

So our society has pushed them out of not only parks, but most bars even. There are only a few gay bars where they can even let it be known what their preference is. They can't talk about it in church, as straight couples can. (some churches even have christian dating groups). They can't talk about it in restaurants except in hushed voices. they certainly can't talk about it at work. So where can they go to find like-minded people?

We have pushed them to the limits. They are only acting on a very strong natural urge. And parks at night are one of the few places they *can* communicate those urges to others whom they hope share them.

I'm not defending the public sex per se, but something tells me that this thread wouldn't be happening if it was a cacher who sumbled on a park where lots of straight people met to pick each other up.

<FINAL ATTEMPT TO LOCK THREAD>

What about people who have sex with animals? They don't have ANY clubs/stables they can go to to 'hook up'. Shouldn't they be protected also? If anyone says it's disgusting, then you are being closed minded and a bigot! People are just born that way and can't help that they have desires to pleasure themselves with livestock.

Sheesh! The world is so closed-minded

Yes, but I think we have to consider why they are stepping outside the bounds. The bounds set by our cultur are extremely restrictive. For example, a bar is a common place for people to hit on each other. Suppose a gay person went to an ordinary bar and hit on a member of the same sex. Somebody would probably end up in a hospital with a broken jaw.

So our society has pushed them out of not only parks, but most bars even. There are only a few gay bars where they can even let it be known what their preference is. They can't talk about it in church, as straight couples can. (some churches even have christian dating groups). They can't talk about it in restaurants except in hushed voices. they certainly can't talk about it at work. So where can they go to find like-minded people?

We have pushed them to the limits. They are only acting on a very strong natural urge. And parks at night are one of the few places they *can* communicate those urges to others whom they hope share them.

I'm not defending the public sex per se, but something tells me that this thread wouldn't be happening if it was a cacher who sumbled on a park where lots of straight people met to pick each other up.

Good on topic, non-personal reply. I completely disagree, but still, your post is well thought out and respectful.

The portion of your post I'd like to comment on is the last line. I can't speak for all posters, and I admit there has been a few borderline homophobic replies to this topic, but I for one would be just as outraged if this was about straight hook-ups in parks. It is of note that I haven't heard of a geocache in an area where straight cruising occurs--I don't believe it's as common. This may be just because of the gossip factor, so who knows.

This is a hot-button topic and has gotten out of hand, so this is my last post. Any more will likely fan the flames rather than bring up any meaningful dialogue.

Edited by NotNutts

What the heck, I'll lay it on the line, PC be damned. I personally believe homosexuality is wrong. Sinful. Immoral. Period. That's my belief, and I'm not afraid to say it. While I disagree with their lifestyle, I am not homophobic. Homosexuals are people, there is no reason to fear them. Pretty much every homosexual I ever met was just like anyone else I ever met, except for that one aspect of their personal lives, which really didn't affect ME at all. So I don't agree with their lifestyle, but that's their business, not mine. However, being gay doesn't give them any special rights either. Sex in a park (hetero, homo, bi, whatever) is illegal. Being a homosexual is not illegal (at least in this country). So you can be as gay as ya wanna be and visit a park, that's fine. Just obey the rules. If you're looking for sex (whatever your preference) public places are NOT the correct areas to have it in. If you want to meet there and hook up elsewhere, fine. Lots of people do that very same thing for many different reasons. But don't trash the area with any form of litter. Don't bother people you don't know. Don't break the laws while you visit our public places. At the end of the day, I don't care who you go to bed with, or what you do when you get there. Just keep the bedroom business out of public places, and don't treat the world as your own personal trash can. Obey the LAWS, because they apply to everyone - straight, gay, male, female. Not a hard concept to grasp now is it? And if I happen to see anyone breaking the laws in a park, I'll take pictures of them, their vehicles, and I'll report them -- regardless of their activity or sexual orientation. It's my park too darn it, and I shouldn't have to put up with ANYONE abusing it.

I think you guys are forgetting something, gay people at certain parks have been around a lot longer than geocaching. You are encroaching on them, not them encroaching on you.

Gay or straight, whomever is cruising for hookups, then leaving used condoms and syringes behind is doing something illegal. It is also dangerous to me to stumble across used condoms and syringes. Not to mention disgusting. They do not have the right to use the park for those activities. I have the right to use the park for legal activities. They have the right to use the park for legal activities. I would be outraged to find this stuff at any park I visit, regardless of who leaves it behind.

Who cares? Dragging your kids into an urban park after dark is consent for them to see all kinds of stuff. Don't do it. As far as consenting adults go? If it bothers you - watch your GPS instead. Most people do anyway... :o

Sheesh, just go find the cache and mind your own business...

We're talking about broad daylight, and someone following me trying to have sex, or running into people who are, kinda IS my business.

Please remember that this is a family-friendly forum.

Also, please keep this thread on-topic. If you'd like to open another thread for the various tangents going on, feel free to do so in the Off-Topic forum.

The original post, in case you forgot, is as follows:

This is my second experience with this.

Since I cache alone and am generally pretty absent-minded, I usually don't notice what is going on until it is too late.

I am used to people being interested in what I am doing while caching, but when the starring and following starts it gets pretty creepy and scarry.

My second experience was at a local wetland reservation where I wanted to place a cache.

It irks me that I can't enjoy these places without being bothered.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I find a man placing his penis into another man's anus a bit disturbing. And having to come across that in the woods is equally disturbing. And after walking upon that with my 10 year old child and having to explain it is even MORE disturbing yet.

What about coming across two chicks in the woods?

What about a man and woman in the woods?

Are these easier to explain to you child? I would be willing to bet that between the three options above, they probably occur about the same amount of time, so what is the difference?

... someone following me trying to have sex, or running into people who are, kinda IS my business.

Yup. You shouldn't be followed if you don't want to be, for sex or for any other reason.

But you also have a responsibility to make it clear to someone who is making sexual advances toward you, that you are not interested. Once you have made that clear, then they probably will go away. If they don't then they are harassing you, regardless of their sexual orientation, and they should be nabbed by the cops for that.

Remember, that women get hit on by straight men all the time. If they aren't interested, they make it polightly known. It is then the straight man's responsibility to cease and desist. If he doesn't, that's when he becomes culpable.

Many of the stories I have read in this thread are missing that one important element. When a guy realizes he is being followed by a gay guy, he doesn't take that crucial step of making it polightly known that he is not interested. If you don't make it known, then how is your suitor to know?

Suppose a lady you were hitting on never told you she wasn't interested? You'd probably keep trying for a while before you finally got the message and gave up. And you'd be just as frustrated as she was at the end of it.

If she turned and walked slowly away into the woods, then that might give a message. But remember that these gay men can't just be open about it. So in their case, walking quietly away *is* what they would expect from you if you wanted them to follow you. The follower isn't being overly aggressive in that case. They're just mis-interpreting you. And if you took the time to understand this, then you'd know exactly how to handle this situation. Which is just tell them you're not interested in having any company.

BTW: I also agree that they shouldn't be having sex in public, nor should they leaving litter of any kind, let alone used condoms. But then again, neither should straight people.