Best Gc State For Visitor

I'm green with envy seeing the number and ingenuity of the caches in USA, doubly so reading the logs.

So, on 3 month visit, using pushbike as much as possible, living on bread and cheese and a beer or two,

accustomed to sleeping in doss houses, no foul weather gear, generally boracic (cockney slang), which State

is closest to my Utopia ?

I'm green with envy seeing the number and ingenuity of the caches in USA, doubly so reading the logs.

So, on 3 month visit, using pushbike as much as possible, living on bread and cheese and a beer or two,

accustomed to sleeping in doss houses, no foul weather gear, generally boracic (cockney slang), which State

New Jersey. :laughing::D^_^

Well, I've not cached ina wide variety of locales, but I hear form a lot that do who think our caches down here in the Austin, Texas area are some of the most enjoyable they've ever done. Very creative and a wide variety of types, styles, terrain, and levels of difficulty. Add to that generally great weather, lots of live music venues, and a welcoming cacher community, and I think you may have a great time here. If you'ld like to talk to oohers in this area, come by and visit with us at The Central Texas Geocachers Yahoo Group

Well, I've not cached ina wide variety of locales, but I hear form a lot that do who think our caches down here in the Austin, Texas area are some of the most enjoyable they've ever done. Very creative and a wide variety of types, styles, terrain, and levels of difficulty. Add to that generally great weather, lots of live music venues, and a welcoming cacher community, and I think you may have a great time here. If you'ld like to talk to oohers in this area, come by and visit with us at The Central Texas Geocachers Yahoo Group

Not to mention, the unusual wildlife.

^_^:laughing:

I have a feeling that you will get about 50 different answers to this question :laughing:

It all depends on what you are looking for. Though I believe Team Cotati was being facetious when he suggested New Jersey, it is a great place for geocaching. It has high cache density, yet a lot of quality caches and a wide variety too. That is unless you are into micros - then go elsewhere because we don't have a lot of them here.

The northern part of the state has some fairly rugged and scenic hikes if you're into that kind of cache. The eastern and central part have more urban and suburban style hides, and if you're into puzzles the central part of the state has a good selection.

And because NJ is so small you can probably get a very good statewide sample in under a month, then move on to other regions.

I'd say chase the weather. The weather's nice on the east coast now--the Raleigh NC area has a well established geocaching community, and great pork BBQ. Summertime might be a good time for the Pacific NW where GC got started. Wintertime would be a good time to hit the south. Normally I'd say hit the Gulf Coast (caches and cajun food), but they're still reeling from Katrina. I hate to swell a Texan's head any, but I have heard the Austin area caches are good and the BBQ brisket is OK. In the fall, right here in SLAGA country (St Louis area) has good caches and weather, and the midwest does have the some of the best ribs around.

As for my credentials, I'm a chubby USAF meteorologist, so I know a bit about weather, food, and I've lived in most of these places.

Edited by NotNutts

Looks like Texas out in front just now, but I'm sure /hope there will be more suggestions.

Probably going to be the bane of Western Civilisation, the dilemna of choice.

Have to modify my "Diceman" program, (Luke Reinhardt), made for a guy who went for lunch to the same place every day for nearly 15 years,he still goes there.

Ref. NJ. while on a course in USA Mid-West, was introduced to group as "Jarn, he's from the Far East".

"You outta Noi Joisey" I was asked.

No foul weather gear? That might be ambitious, unless you're coming to the southwest sometime between, say, October and May. :o June starts getting a bit warm in the lowlands for those unused to the "dry heat", but then you can just head up into the higher altitudes (7,000 feet and up). July and August are monsoon season here in Arizona.

For the uninitiated like me, what's a doss house?

The correct answer is Colorado, of course. Mountains, desert, plains and urban settings are just the start. Cache density is approaching critical mass here in Colorado Springs. In fact, the physics department at Lawrence Livermore labs has calculated that if three more caches are added to Colorado Springs the city will collapse in on itself and become a black hole. Look at this:

cachedensity.jpg

Friendly people, great weather, unmatched scenery. It's the obvious choice.

doss house..A very cheap lodging-house for homeless people

to try and define my Utopia a bit more..as far from "civilisaton" as possible, not meaning lacking any amenity, but as unspoilt, least changed as possible. I guess like rural Ireland..dream on you say !!!

Edited by dunderhead

The correct answer is Colorado, of course. Mountains, desert, plains and urban settings are just the start. Cache density is approaching critical mass here in Colorado Springs. In fact, the physics department at Lawrence Livermore labs has calculated that if three more caches are added to Colorado Springs the city will collapse in on itself and become a black hole. Look at this:

cachedensity.jpg

Friendly people, great weather, unmatched scenery. It's the obvious choice.

CO would have to be a nice, too. I was stationed there in the late 80s/early 90s and found

- The mountains are beautiful

- Girl-guy ratio is guy favorable :o

- Good fishing/hunting

Add cache density and you got a nice trip. It was a bit pricey there, as I remember though.

to try and define my Utopia a bit more..as far from "civilisaton" as possible, not meaning lacking any amenity, but as unspoilt, least changed as possible. I guess like rural Ireland..dream on you say !!!

If you want variety of styles, San Francisco Bay Area is hard to beat, as each micro region is like a different country, caching-wise. (City of San Francisco, North Bay, East Bay, Peninsula, South Bay, etc.) You are welcome to visit our forums, Geocachers of the Bay Area (GBA) and post your comments there.

I'll be fair and promote other areas of the country that I think are worthy, if you want rural caching - Montana, Wyoming, and Utah. I haven't cached in Arizona yet, but I bet it's a lot of fun there, too.

Edited by budd-rdc

You didn't say where you are entering the country, but if you're coming into New York, consider a trip to Long Island, especially Suffolk County (You can take bikes on the train to get there.) There are more woods and ponds than you might expect, and most of the caches are high quality. After you've spent some time in Long Island, you can take a ferry from Orient Point at the far eastern end to the state of Connecticut, where you have the choice of heading up north to some great New England caches or west to... just about whatever you want!

not oklahoma

Despite what Malarky says, I've cached in 21 states and several foreign countries, and I've got to say that Oklahoma has some of the best hid caches anywhere. Depending on your likes and dislikes, we have everything from urban micros to large woodland caches. Edmond, wheere Malarky's profile says they're from has one of the largest concentrations in the state. The small town of Healdton, in south central OK, has one of the best assortments of well hidden caches to be found anywhere, and also has the added benifit of being near Ardmore, OK, which provides many caching opportunities. All of this is just a short 1 1/2 hour north of the DFW airport. So I say, try Oklahoma. :unsure:

not oklahoma

Despite what Malarky says, I've cached in 21 states and several foreign countries, and I've got to say that Oklahoma has some of the best hid caches anywhere. Depending on your likes and dislikes, we have everything from urban micros to large woodland caches. Edmond, wheere Malarky's profile says they're from has one of the largest concentrations in the state. The small town of Healdton, in south central OK, has one of the best assortments of well hidden caches to be found anywhere, and also has the added benifit of being near Ardmore, OK, which provides many caching opportunities. All of this is just a short 1 1/2 hour north of the DFW airport. So I say, try Oklahoma. :unsure:

Anything worth saying is worth saying three times.

;)

You didn't say where you are entering the country, but if you're coming into New York, consider a trip to Long Island, especially Suffolk County (You can take bikes on the train to get there.) There are more woods and ponds than you might expect, and most of the caches are high quality. After you've spent some time in Long Island, you can take a ferry from Orient Point at the far eastern end to the state of Connecticut, where you have the choice of heading up north to some great New England caches or west to... just about whatever you want!

Long Island would be a good starting point, then he could sweep through NYC, northern and central New Jersey, then on to the awesome caches in the Hudson Valley (some of the most scenic caches I've found) and maybe even New England if he has the time.

The small town of Healdton, in south central OK, has one of the best assortments of well hidden caches to be found anywhere, and also has the added benifit of being near Ardmore, OK, which provides many caching opportunities.
I second that vote. I spent a great day there last fall.

Chicago, Illinois.

Want micros? We got 'em- start looking here or here.

Want ammo cans in the woods? Check, center your search here.

Want 100 finds in about 5 hours? Check out the Bobs.

Looking for an old cache? How about Beverly- one of the oldest.

Don't have an APE cache icon yet? Mission 12- Blind Canal will get you it.

You can fly right in and be hitting caches before you even leave the airport (there's a virtual right at O'Hare).

If you want to day trip you could always get to Indianapolis, Wisconsin or even to Peoria (where you can get a really nice 5/5 cache- The Journal).

In addition there is usually some kind of event going on every other week where you can meet up with some of the locals.

Depends on WHEN. I'd recommend Florida - but NOT in the summer. Summer begins now and runs through late October. In the winter, it's great. Beach caches, island caches, bike trail caches, forest caches, hiking caches, scuba caches & urban density. But in the summer there's just too much heat, humidity and bugs. That's true generally of the entire South East U.S., but most of the rest of it doesn't stay locked into summer as long as pennisular Florida.

Idaho is probably one of the least spoiled states in the country. Most of our caching (outside Boise) are either in the boonies or fairly creative non skirtlifter type caches. Lots of ammocans.

Lodging costs are far below the coastal and eastern states. The same is true of most of the Rocky Mountain states, with Colorado being an exception.

Montana and Wyoming are also good choices for inexpensive unspoiled landscape. Utah and Nevada are mostly high desert.

I've had a great time caching in Arizona, Oklahoma (notwithstanding the above comments), Hawaii (can anything be bad in a tropical paradise?), and New Jersey (I can't say it any better than what Briansnat wrote above), and New York, but I'm still very partial to my home state of Alaska.

Check out the search links and bookmarks on the GeocacheAlaska! website.

To get an unbiased opinion of caching in Alaska, check out the Great Alaska Cache and Dash, to see what a group of Washington cachers experienced during a three day swing through just the southcentral part of the state.

Happy and safe travels!!!

Idaho is probably one of the least spoiled states in the country. Most of our caching (outside Boise) are either in the boonies or fairly creative non skirtlifter type caches. Lots of ammocans.

Lodging costs are far below the coastal and eastern states. The same is true of most of the Rocky Mountain states, with Colorado being an exception.

Montana and Wyoming are also good choices for inexpensive unspoiled landscape. Utah and Nevada are mostly high desert.

Plus you won't need foul weather gear. That's true of most western states except for the coastal area from Northern California, Oregon and Washington.

I've had a great time caching in Arizona, Oklahoma (notwithstanding the above comments), Hawaii (can anything be bad in a tropical paradise?), and New Jersey (I can't say it any better than what Briansnat wrote above), and New York, but I'm still very partial to my home state of Alaska.

Check out the search links and bookmarks on the GeocacheAlaska! website.

To get an unbiased opinion of caching in Alaska, check out the Great Alaska Cache and Dash, to see what a group of Washington cachers experienced during a three day swing through just the southcentral part of the state.

Happy and safe travels!!!

In Fairbanks the Monsoon Season starts in August, but if you go in June and July you will have a blast and I would have no doubt that you could meet some exceptional people and cachers as well.

Sincerest thanks to all you kind people for your suggestions and the depth of your advice.

There is so much info to consider, I'd like to close this topic, but can anyone advise how all the threads can be saved.?

I would like to email everyone personally but.......????, Anyway I will keep you informed on future moves.

We are a married couple that live in eastern Pennsylvania, near the New Jersey border. We specialize in hiking caches, and rarely do any others.

Our recommendation for the best hiking cache utopia in the northeastern corner of the United States, the Adirondack area of northern New York State.

Please remember that in the Adirondacks there are two seasons every year, winter and the forth of July.

Waterboy With Wife

I have cached in just about every state west of the Mississippi. The only states missing are Arkansas, North and South Dakota, and Wisconsin. With that said, each state has been enjoyable to cache in, but for the most unspoiled I would have to say that Idaho, my home state still rates no. one. Montana is great and so is Wyoming for being unspoiled, but the cache density is not that good.

:laughing:

I have cached in just about every state west of the Mississippi. The only states missing are Arkansas, North and South Dakota, and Wisconsin. With that said, each state has been enjoyable to cache in, but for the most unspoiled I would have to say that Idaho, my home state still rates no. one. Montana is great and so is Wyoming for being unspoiled, but the cache density is not that good.

:laughing:

I didn't mention it earlier, but I enjoyed caching in Idaho on my way from Utah to Montana. I reserved judgement since I didn't cross the entire state like I did with MT and WY. I recall picking up one of your signature item cards, too.

There are pockets of uncivilisation (note the spelling :) ) in the east, but they aren't all that far off the beaten path. Not when compared to the west.

If you're truly looking for wilderness, head west... You could hike for days and not see another soul. How far south or north depends on the time of year and your preference for cold or heat.

Of course, the wilder areas have fewer caches. I think Arizona has a good mix, but so would most of the western "uncivilised" states!

Sincerest thanks to all you kind people for your suggestions and the depth of your advice.

There is so much info to consider, I'd like to close this topic, but can anyone advise how all the threads can be saved.?

I would like to email everyone personally but.......????, Anyway I will keep you informed on future moves.

If you want to close the thread, as the OP, you should be able to click on a close thread option at the bottom of the posts.

Also, something to consider (before you close the thread!): if you seriously are looking for a doss-house (I think the closest we have here is a homeless shelter), you'll be mostly restricted to the major cities. We simply rarely have them in smaller towns and wilderness areas. Another option are hostels, which are cheap lodging, but not free. Again, mostly in larger cities, but you'll find a little more spread on these. However, we have MANY fewer than you'll find in most other countries. So, one option that you might want to think about, if you are planning on coming for the outdoors, and if you are focusing on good-weather areas... Do you own a tent? Campgrounds for tents tend to be fairly inexpensive, and most have some form of bathrooms. A one-person tent should easily fit on a bike, etc etc. It would at least let you have some fairly inexpensive nights out in the great outdoors, so that your budget isn't blown paying for hostels, motels, and hotels.