Naming A New Cache?

guyanonymous

The name is totally up to you. I use a number of kinds of names for my caches. Most of the time they are named after the spot they are hidden (e.g. "Smith Park Cache", or "Jones River"). Sometimes if there is something different about the hide, that will influnce my name (e.g. "Clever Cache"). Sometimes I'll just pull names out of thin air, naming them after popular TV shows, characters in literature or historic figures, even though they have nothing whatsoever to do with the cache.

No, you choose the name for your cache. The site just gives it a unique identifier or waypoint name, e.g. GC900C. That allows you to store many waypoints on your GPSr each one having a different ID #.

Thanks for making this clear...now I just wish my GPS would arrive so I can start hunting more!

I find creating a name for my caches to be the hardest part about the hide. I don't seem to have the brilliant imagination that some cache hiders have.

But I definately do not have any name Between a rock and anything.

I do have one study on a rock pile cache which I am thouroughly ashamed to say is in the middle of one of the largest rock piles you will ever see (Can you say landslide), but the rocks are mainly 1 ft in diameter and larger.

:laughing:

I particularly like the caches that use the name as a hint for solving the cache. Or a play on words pertaining to the location, a puzzle or other aspect. It makes it fun and amusing.

My favorite name of one of my caches is Choir of Trees. It's hidden in a preserve called "Coral Woods"

But please don't name it "A Walk In The Park".

LOL. Guess what our newest cache is called??? "Just a Walk in the Park." BUT, there was a reason behind the name, sooo we're sticking with it.

:laughing:

Everybody who uses that name thinks there's a reason for it.

It's nearby a cache that is correctly named "Not Just a Walk in the Park." That was my first Terrain 3 cache, done in my first few weeks as a geocacher and the first hunt without my daughter tagging along. Long story short, the cache ate me for dinner, I didn't find it until it was dark out, I used the GPS backlight to find my way back to the car and then got locked inside the park. I found a 'backdoor' exit, which came in very handy a year later when the Magellan contest cache was located in this park. :ph34r:

The area chosen by Lindsychris for their new cache is very nice; I had scouted it once for a hide of my own and never got around to it. I'd rather find their cache than hide one!

Back on topic, it is easy for me to name my caches because they all share a common element. Every cache has the word "Elves" in it, except for two old caches that we adopted. Usually when hiding a new cache, I am able to visualize something that the Elves would be doing at that location. :laughing:

Edited by The Leprechauns

I particularly like the caches that use the name as a hint for solving the cache. Or a play on words pertaining to the location, a puzzle or other aspect. It makes it fun and amusing.

My favorite name of one of my caches is Choir of Trees. It's hidden in a preserve called "Coral Woods"

Did you mean Choral (as in singing) or Coral (as in reefs)?

Edited by Maxima

But please don't name it "A Walk In The Park".

And please, not "Geocache", either. There are two caches near here, both by that name. Not very imaginative! Naming your cache is part of the fun :)

According to this page, 26 of the first 100 caches were named Geocache. There was one other named Geocache 612. Are either of the ones you are referring to very old?

Trivia: When you fill out the form for a new cache, but skip the name field, the system fills it in with the cache type. In the old days it was called just "Geocache." If you did that today, it would be given a name like "Traditional Cache," "Multi-cache," or "Letterbox Hybrid." Accurate, but not terribly compelling.

I name all of my caches with my name in them

ie...

Scavok 03 (Micro in a Micro)

Scavok 04 (Shakin like a Rock)

Scavok 05 (a-typical multi)

I have noticed that finding a cache gets easier or more interesting if you find a lot of others hidden by the same person. My GPSr doesn't store the name of the hider so I appreciate when others put their name in the title as well.

just my 2 cents <_<

Figuring out a name can be the hardest part. I have the perfect place figured out, nobody is around to see me hide it, and then i'm sitting there for 20 minutes trying to think of a good name...

Strange thing, I have a knack for naming other peoples caches, but not my own...

My favorite name for a cache that I hid so far is 'Over the Lion's Den' which I hid last week. If the name seems like it will be a popular name, I do add my name on the end to make it a bit more unique, example 'lakeview by norsehawk'

Have fun out there!