Pocket Pc Software

I'm a newbie (2 finds). Just into it. Have had a blast so far. I've got the following:

Axim x51v

Tomtom Navigator 5.2 bluetooth

On my first to hunts I've already noticed something that bugs me. The Cache sites have the coordinates listed. I save that webpage to the ppc for field reading. In the field I open tomtom gps position.....but I cant put in the position i want to go to.

Is there such a program that will show you current and destination GPS readings? It's a pain (and slows you down) to switch back and forth between programs to compare destination and current readings.

I'll keep searching for an answer. I'm currently going through this pages listings:

SOFTWARE LINKS

'Maro

Edited by Camar068

You could also try Memory-Map has lots of features and will show current location and any number of waypoints and routes with an on screen pointer with the cache direction distance and eta - but check to see if it works on your PDA.

Last week I bought a Magellan eXplorist 600 because I didn't want to expose my PPC to the outdoors anymore. But till then, this combination:

* GSAK (for waypoint management on PC)

* GPS Tuner (for navigation wt PPC)

* GPX Sonar (for paperless caching - view GC.com cachepages and reveal hints, add field notes, waypoint projection)

worked perfectly!

There is several cache centric GPS application that will work with your Axim. Here are a few:

BeeLineGPS - Makes your PDA act like a handheld GPS. It allows you to download GPX and LOC files in to memory. You can manage, search, modify and "go to" specific waypoint or caches. It will also show you the cache information much like on geocaching.com. It also has lots of navigation features as well.

GPSTuner - This application will alow you to import GPX files as well as have user calibrated "bitmap" maps.

BackcountryNavigator - This application will allow you do import GPX files, view geocache information and download "bitmap" topo maps.

GPXSonar - to view GPX files and their content

CacheMate - Import GPX/LOC files, view, organize and search (for both PPC and Palm)

If you want to use TomTom, there's a better way:

1) Download the cache information into a .GPX file

2) Download POIEdit from www.poiedit.com (free)

3) Use POIEdit to convert your .GPX into a .OV2 TomTom POI file (name it GEOCACHES.OV2)

4) Copy the .OV2 onto your PPC in the TomTom maps directory.

Now when you run TomTom, you'll have a POI category named 'GEOCACHES' Simply select the cache you'd like to navigate to, just as you'd pick any POI!

Hope that helps :anibad:

There is several cache centric GPS application that will work with your Axim. Here are a few:

BeeLineGPS - Makes your PDA act like a handheld GPS. It allows you to download GPX and LOC files in to memory. You can manage, search, modify and "go to" specific waypoint or caches. It will also show you the cache information much like on geocaching.com. It also has lots of navigation features as well.

GPSTuner - This application will alow you to import GPX files as well as have user calibrated "bitmap" maps.

BackcountryNavigator - This application will allow you do import GPX files, view geocache information and download "bitmap" topo maps.

GPXSonar - to view GPX files and their content

CacheMate - Import GPX/LOC files, view, organize and search (for both PPC and Palm)

I use BackCountry with my Axim X30v PPC/Bluetooth Solar Sirf Star III GPSR and although it gives a warning on install to the PPC – this software was designed for a previous version – it still works fine. It didn’t even get the satellites on the PPC prior to installing BackCountry Navigator. I follow topos and it shows the caches. As a “Map and Compass” kind of guy I am accustomed to topographical maps. No need to even “point” at the cache, “activate” to lock on and go to the “nav” screen just follow the cursor to the cache icon. There are some areas around here, wild parks, where there are so many caches that it just saves time. :anibad: But I have one problem with it – if I don’t find it right off – I have to go to Cachemate to find the size of cache and difficulty as these don’t show in the gpx downloads under BackCountry Navigator. But since Cachemate is sorted on GC code that is easy. But I am still learning how all this stuff works. :blink: I can see that when you don't have the maps and gpx files for the particular area synced you are stuck following a pointy arrow on a blank map screen with cache boxes and you approaching or a nice topo with no cache boxes - that only reminds me of my shortcomings.

Edited by rjosprey

I also use TomTom for navigation purposes. I spent the $8 and got Cachemate and they work well together. Cachemate has a plugin for exporting out *.ov2 files. I can then use TomTom to navigate right to general area of the cache and then switch to cachemate and use the cache nav plugin to get the rest of the way. Works well. <_<

The combination I would recomend would be to get cachemate for ppc.It will keep all the cache information on your pda and with the cachenav plug in will guide you right to the cache.Also look into Gpsgatelite which will allow you to have to programs reciveing the gps information at once.This is the setup I use and works very well and cost less than $20 for both of the programs.

If you want to use TomTom, there's a better way:

1) Download the cache information into a .GPX file

2) Download POIEdit from www.poiedit.com (free)

3) Use POIEdit to convert your .GPX into a .OV2 TomTom POI file (name it GEOCACHES.OV2)

4) Copy the .OV2 onto your PPC in the TomTom maps directory.

Now when you run TomTom, you'll have a POI category named 'GEOCACHES' Simply select the cache you'd like to navigate to, just as you'd pick any POI!

Hope that helps ;)

Yet easier: GSAK generates TomTom POI files too, I have a setup that makes separate POI files for trads, multis and mysteries with a single click.

wow....is there any limitations to the demo of BCNAV? Downloading 10x10 mi. of topo and arial maps. What I really like is the screen that has your current position and destination (long. and lat.)

Beelinegps looks great also except it doesnt seem to have that screen or the maps. It might have maps....but didnt see it in their screenshots.

I've got a 5/5 difficulty one here that we were within ~10ft of....straight down. Topo will maybe help find an alternate route. Muscles arent what they used to be, let alone bravery (or stupidity)...LOL.

Thx Guys and Gals (pic which shoe fits...I dont wanna hear about both LOL)

'Maro