Rino 110 Vs. Etrex

I am looking to purchase an inexpensive but still decent unit for caching. I have heard good things about the Rino 110 ($100 refurbished) but I'm also considering the eTrex($85 new on Amazon).

They both have WAAS according to Garmin.com so they should both have about the same accuracy - but what about reception? Does the external antenna make a difference?

Has anyone used both of these models that can offer an opinion on which to get?

...or is the GPS 60 worth the $155?

Edited by matdjj

The thing with the rino is: you need two for it to make sense. Someone to connect to on the other end of the radio. If you're gonna have that capability then the Rino's are pretty cool, otherwise, why bother with the extra weight and size for a useless feature.

Between the two I would get the Rino (Heartland America has new units for $100)

even if your the only one with it you can still talk to people with a radio. Half the time when I'm hiking I have my 60 and a radio right beside it (If only Garmin made a Rino 530x).

Now, have you looked at the etrex Legend?

Have you looked at ebay?

and more importantly the GPS Garage Sale on these forums?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=130992

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=130713

The controls are quite different. I have one friend who's wife can not use the etrex because all the buttons are on the side (designed for left hand use) and with her arthritis she doesn't have the strength to operate them. On the rino the GPS controls are front mounted, the radio buttons are on the side.

The main reason I was considering the Rino was for the external antenna. However, I decided to go with a Magellan eXplorist 200 for the price, durability, and maps at the $100 level. I've read good things about it and I hope it was a good decision.

The main reason I was considering the Rino was for the external antenna. However, I decided to go with a Magellan eXplorist 200 for the price, durability, and maps at the $100 level. I've read good things about it and I hope it was a good decision.

I have a rino and find it does get excellent reception overall.

I am (pretty) sure you will be happy with the 200 though, only thing is that it does not have pc connectivity B) (though you can get some crazy 3rd party aftermarket kit thing i hear).

I have a rino and find it does get excellent reception overall.

I am (pretty) sure you will be happy with the 200 though, only thing is that it does not have pc connectivity B) (though you can get some crazy 3rd party aftermarket kit thing i hear).

make sure you get the magellan rebate on it.

make sure you get the magellan rebate on it.

YEAH! I didn't find out about that rebate until after I bought it so the price is even better than I expected! I got it from TigerDirect for $98 (including shipping) and now I get a rebate too!