"no Gps Necessary" Attribute

Sonjaaa

I don't have enough money to afford a GPS receiver at the moment, but I do have Internet access from which I can reach this website, and then plug in the coordinates into Google Earth or Google Maps. Using such printouts, I'm able to find quite a large number of urban caches that have many easily identified reference points, landmarks or buildings on the map, etc. If I'm stumped or need to narrow down my search, I can always decode the hint for more information on where to find it exactly.

Is there an attribute for "No GPS needed" or "GPS-optional" so I can filter out and only look for these ones? If this attribute doesn't exist, I highly recommend it be added, perhaps with a little "no smoking" sign with the letters GPS instead of a cigarette. Many people who are new to the hobby don't own a GPSr yet, and this could be a way to make the geocaching hobby more accessible to new members.

Of course there are limitations to geocaching without a GPS receiver. It's impossible to plant your own new cache without one, and there are also many caches that are impossible to find without a GPSr, e.g. if it's in the middle of a wooded area with no discernable landmarks on the map to know where you are standing relative to the map.

Sonja

www.kisa.ca

The whole point of geocaching is to use a GPS. It just wouldn't be geocaching without it. I can't think of a long philosophical answer, so I won't. :mad:

Also, Jeremy has said that the location of the caches is adjusted on Google Earth so it's not exactly on, making it impossible to use just Google Earth.

icefall, I must reply on this one as I see you state that "Jeremy has said that the location of the caches is adjusted on Google Earth so it's not exactly on, making it impossible to use just Google Earth."

You have completely ignored what the original poster said about having found several caches using just that technique.

Sonja, I see no harm in that attribute being put in there as it would make it easier to use the search feature to find caches you can do without plonking the cash on a GPSr.

The practical problem with an attribute like this is that it depends on the searcher. The first cache I ever looked for I used a satellite map on my camera and my reckoning was dead on. It was in the middle of the woods and I doubt I could do it again for a similar cache. Later I got better and could navigate pretty well by noting landmarks from the air. However, I'm sure that there are people that are much better than me and also some that are much worse. It would be difficult for a hider to determine whether or not a GPS is needed; the finder needs to figure that out.

Yes, there is such an attribute:

traffic_cone.gif

Well, that was real helpful. :mad:

On topic: Any cache could be found without a GPS, as long as you have the know how (good map & compass skills). Thus there is no real need for such an attribute. There are several cachers who never, or seldom, use a GPS to find a cache.

To expand on that, while many caches can be found using orienteering skills (and some just by using aerial photos), caches which don't have some GPS element to them probably won't be listed. In the most recent update to the guidelines, this language was added. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Edited by Prime Suspect

icefall, I must reply on this one as I see you state that "Jeremy has said that the location of the caches is adjusted on Google Earth so it's not exactly on, making it impossible to use just Google Earth."

You have completely ignored what the original poster said about having found several caches using just that technique...

I thought it had said that she would be able to find some, not that she did.

I still stick with my previous answer, that it just wouldn't be geocaching without a GPS.

Edited by icefall5

Also, Jeremy has said that the location of the caches is adjusted on Google Earth so it's not exactly on, making it impossible to use just Google Earth.

This is true for caches shown by the Geocaching Network KML add-on for Google Earth.

However, if you manually enter the correct coordinates, it is quite possible to use Google Earth to find a cache's location if it is in an area with high enough resultion photography. My 3-stage multi was recently found using only Google Earth.

I agree that, for me, geocaching is all about using GPS, but there are some cachers who don't have, or don't use a GPSr. For me, especially since petrol (gas) prices here are approaching the equivalent of $8 per US gallon, the cost of my GPSr is an insignificant part of the total cost of caching. Going caching without a GPSr would be like going caching without footwear!

But, if I were trying to find caches without a GPSr, I would look for the following:

- Traditional caches (as multis are likely to involve more than one set of coordinates)

- avoid non-urban micros

- Difficulty 1 or 2

- Caches which are at a recognisable feature. "at the junction of two paths" is likely to be easier to find than "somewhere in the middle of a forest"

- caches which have a long, or specific hint

I don't think an attribute is necessary, or would work. No one can judge whether you would be able to find their cache without (or with) a GPSr unless they know your abilities/strenghs/weaknesses. Using the difficulty rating to select the easier caches is just as likely to be a good indication.

Since a cache is placed with a GPS, there's no requirement for a geocacher who places a cache to determine whether that cache can be found with a GPS unit or not. And since the activity revolves around GPS technology having this kind of attribute would be counter to the intent of the site.

I certainly commend those who can find caches in this way, but expecting geocachers who generally have and use GPS to accomodate those who don't is too much to expect from the hider.

(I am aware that this is coming from someone who started when the game was only coordinates and nothing else, requiring you to do the research as part of the fun.)

Consider it part of the challenge of finding caches sans GPS. Also I'd recommend Atlas Quest for non GPS "treasure" hunting.

I've found all but my first four caches without a GPS, using Google satellite photos.

But, if I were trying to find caches without a GPSr, I would look for the following:

- Traditional caches (as multis are likely to involve more than one set of coordinates)

Multis usually require an extra trip for each set of coordinates, but they aren't particularly difficult if they're in an area that you're going to return to anyway. Most puzzle caches are no different from traditional caches, once you've solved the puzzle. On-site puzzles may require an extra trip (like a multi).

- avoid non-urban micros

- Difficulty 1 or 2

I've found a nano cache in the "woods" along a recreational trail, and I've found difficulty 3+ caches. I don't think these types of caches are any more or less difficult with Google satellite photos than with a GPSr, as long as you have recognizable landmarks.

- Caches which are at a recognisable feature. "at the junction of two paths" is likely to be easier to find than "somewhere in the middle of a forest"

Yep. This is the biggy. And it's a challenge when the nearest recognizable landmarks are 100+ feet away from the cache.

I don't think an attribute is necessary, or would work. No one can judge whether you would be able to find their cache without (or with) a GPSr unless they know your abilities/strenghs/weaknesses.

I agree. The best guage for me is clicking the link to Google maps and switching to satellite view. I've learned what kinds of features I'll be able to recognize once I'm near the cache location.