Local Cache......

FatGaz

When I started out it was somewhere I could either walk to or walk to from a Metro station. So geographically it was quite a distance but never more than £3.50 (day ticket) and 60 minutes away.

I guess what I am suggesting is that distance is not the only factor that makes a cache local to us.

The vast majority of my finds have been within an ellipse, approx 30 miles by 40 miles, with Hemel (home) and Watford (work) as the foci. Any others are nearly all a case of within 10 miles of where I am, although last weekend I did venture out 25 miles away to Epping Forest to try to find Interception TB #1. Unfortunately someone had logged it out of the cache (in the logbook) but not logged it out on the website. :laughing:

^_^ We decided fairly early on that we did not want to find all our local caches all at once so after a couple of big days early on we only hunt down one or two att a time and try to combine theminto a good dog frendly walk. When we started back in October 2005 there were less than 70 live caches in Norfolk and it would have been very easy to clear the larder. By combining far flung big weekends with enjoyable smaller days (with good walks) in Nofolk and North Suffolk (anything up to an hour away), and the recent spate of inventive new cachers in the area, as long as we don't get carried away we can enjoy the quality locally and go south or west for high volume caching. :laughing:

We were the same as Jango & Boba Fett, we cossetted our "local" caches, up to 25 miles distant, as cycling destinations.

However, lifestyle change - in the form of Bernie finishing after a quick 37 years in the RAF, followed by swift employment in another part of the same sort of industry albeit as a "civvy", mean we are in the process of re-location to a final destination, undecided at present.

As a consequence, we are making the best of mopping up all the local caches we had previously saved due to our impending move away to undefined pastures new...

A radical way to refresh your local access, but highly effective.

My first cache was the first one on the local list, .7 mile from my home co-ordinates. Since then I've completed the first page, well into completing the second page. So I'm beginning to have to travel further afield.

Luckily my other half, TymeCrystal, lovely lady she is, happens to live 85 miles away. This gives me/us two areas that are local. I've aleady done one cache that is en-route between us and have two more on watch that are a Garmins throw from the A303. Also add the fact that I have to travel quite a bit for my work and that, as happened today, means a slight detour and doing two caches on route.

As I've just reached 80 I'm near that first milestone of 100 and looking at cache rich areas localy to help me along courtesy of Google Earth.

Any local caches that I do I tend to do by bike, so anything within a cycle of about a 20 mile round trip I'd class as local to me. Quickly running out of these though, so looks like I'll have to start driving at least some of the way soon!