[pre-order] Sumatra Elephant Geocoin

DRunners

Well...I like them. And the ones that I am getting will definitely be "geocache related". They will be put into caches as soon as I get them! :ph34r:

Nice, this is the idea of this coin. Everybody should be called while finding caches to help the Sumatra Elephants

You're right. I'll email you my phone number so you can do just that the next time I go caching. I don't know about you, but the Sumatra elephant is all I think about while caching. I generally like them grilled, but sometimes nothing beats a nice, big, medium-rare SumatraElephantBurger.

Come to think of it, maybe there should be a geocoin recognizing the 12 species of flies (yes, flies) that are now protected under the endangered species act. :(

Well...I like them. And the ones that I am getting will definitely be "geocache related". They will be put into caches as soon as I get them! :ph34r:

Nice, this is the idea of this coin. Everybody should be called while finding caches to help the Sumatra Elephants

You're right. I'll email you my phone number so you can do just that the next time I go caching. I don't know about you, but the Sumatra elephant is all I think about while caching. I generally like them grilled, but sometimes nothing beats a nice, big, medium-rare SumatraElephantBurger.

Come to think of it, maybe there should be a geocoin recognizing the 12 species of flies (yes, flies) that are now protected under the endangered species act. :(

I think nature saving is a serious theme and so I can't laugh about jokes like that.

Edited by DRunners

Well...I like them. And the ones that I am getting will definitely be "geocache related". They will be put into caches as soon as I get them! :(

Come to think of it, maybe there should be a geocoin recognizing the 12 species of flies (yes, flies) that are now protected under the endangered species act. :ph34r:

I think nature saving is a serious theme

So do I. Last time I checked, the Sumatra Elephant was pretty far down on the list, though.

and so I can't laugh about jokes like that.

That's OK, I will laugh for both of us :(

I don't see why the coin has to be cache related?

Because this is Geocaching! The purpose of the Geocoin Discussions in the Geocaching Hitchhikers subcategory in the Groundspeak Forums is to talk, trade, and sell Geocoins. If it's not Geocaching related then it should be somewhere else since Geocaching is the common bond for everyone here. In fact if it's not Geocaching related then this coin is nothing more than a coin being sold to support a group or charity cause, which is no different than selling one to support the Red Cross or something else. There is a common theme in this post about geocoins that maybe the people who don't think the coins need to be geocaching related might pick up on. :ph34r:

Tough to argue with that logic? :o

Edited by greenninja5150

DRunners, thank you for humbly listening to us and implementing the design changes quickly. :mad:

Unfortunately, people will be reluctant to give money to an elephant that looks lazy. A baby elephant with puppy eyes will likely tug on our emotions and make us want to give $. You are putting too much faith into our generosity. :mad:

I'm very new to these forums but I must say I am surprised by all the critical nastiness. I didnt get the impression that DR was insincere in any way; she has been very accepting of all the suggestions/criticisms. I am often cynical about people's intentions but I think she is sincere. If you dont like the coin, dont buy it; simple enough. What is geo-related about most personal geocoins? Or many of the others? If you put it in a cache, it is geo-related. And we all know, most of them dont get into or stay in the caches for long! Best of luck, DR with your coin. I hope you raise lots of money for the elephants. It's a worthy cause, and not just a coin that celebrates "YOU".

I'm very new to these forums but I must say I am surprised by all the critical nastiness. I didnt get the impression that DR was insincere in any way; she has been very accepting of all the suggestions/criticisms. I am often cynical about people's intentions but I think she is sincere. If you dont like the coin, dont buy it; simple enough. What is geo-related about most personal geocoins? Or many of the others? If you put it in a cache, it is geo-related. And we all know, most of them dont get into or stay in the caches for long! Best of luck, DR with your coin. I hope you raise lots of money for the elephants. It's a worthy cause, and not just a coin that celebrates "YOU".

Thank you!

Thank you 2

Critical nastiness?

Quote: Its a worthy cause and not just a coin that celebrates "YOU"

Is that not critical and nasty.

May your chosen Deity help us all when the Geocaching forums are not a place to express opinions and celebrate and promote geocaching amongst geocachers.

Here is my idea to give the elephants a go. Make a quality coin at a reasonable price. Ask the geocachers to support the cause by buying the coin and spreading it through the Geocaching community. Make 50 LE versions of the coin list them as a charity auction on ebay and all proceeds go to the cause you support.

You may sell the coin for travel and make as much money for your cause that your current method may do.

I had suggested this to DR -

ele.JPG

He declined & said his was just a cartoon to represent a general elephant shape....

I guess mine is just too "real" looking! Fortunately, I have a huge graphics library of my own that I have drawn... I can cut & paste these together on the fly!

(like my gas coin) See this thread: Geocoins vs Geocaching relation

I like the Panda but the elephant on the back doesn't do it for me at all. Just a matter of opinion. I don't think that there is any way to make everyone happy with everything on a coin. Even if you could you'd still have people knocking it! :smile:

I'd get one if the price came down a bit.

But that would cut into their profit!

If this is a coin for charity as was stated...Why does it have the person's name on the coin like a personal? That's kind of tacky for a charity coin don't ya think? :smile:

Why shouldn't the person who put it all together take some credit for it? Tacky? Nitpicking?

I agree :lol: .

I already ordered a couple of coins some time ago.

It is very easy to give negative respons. And that respons is most of the time given by the same people in the forum :lol: .

So good luck with this nice geocoin. And put all the negative respons besides you.