[pre-order] Sumatra Elephant Geocoin

DRunners

The Sumatra Elephant which lives in Sumatra / Indonesia is threatened with extinction. Only app. 700 animals exist worldwide. Reason for the threatening of this nice animal is the strong cutback of the forest in this region.

So we decided to make a Geocoin to help this animal to survive. For each sold Geocoin, 1€ will be sent to WWF to save the Sumatra Elephant.

This is the design:

sumatra_elephant_weiss_small.JPG

Data:

- GC-Trackable with its own Icon: sumatra_elephant_32x32.JPG

- Coins made (500 pieces):

- Nickel: 245 coins 5,20 € (incl 1€ donation to WWF)

- Antique Silver: 150 coins 5,40 € (incl 1€ donation to WWF)

- Black Nickel: 50 coins (max 1 coin / team) 7,00 € (incl 1€ donation to WWF)

- Antique Gold: 50 coins (max 1 coin / team) 7,00 € (incl 1€ donation to WWF)

- Two Tone (Nickel / Gold): 5 coins (auction on Ebay and the full amount will be donated to WWF)

- Shipping cost can be calculated at the website

Because of being a Charity Geocoin, we will first order this coin when there are enough orders for this coin.

Here you can pre-order this Geocoin:

http://geocoinshop.de/eng/index.htm

<link to trackable coin(s) page replaced by moderator>

Edited by Rothstafari

The Sumatra Elephant which lives in Sumatra / Indonesia is threatened with extinction. Only app. 700 animals exist worldwide. Reason for the threatening of this nice animal is the strong cutback of the forest in this region.

So we decided to make a Geocoin to help this animal to survive. For each sold Geocoin, 1€ will be sent to WWF to save the Sumatra Elephant.

This is the design:

Data:

- Two Tone (Nickel / Gold): 5 coins (auction on Ebay and the full amount will be donated to WWF)

Because of being a Charity Geocoin, we will first order this coin when there are enough orders for this coin.

Here you can pre-order this Geocoin:

http://geocoinshop.de/eng/index.htm

Nice coin. Might want to change that to Save Our Lives though.

<Edit: Rothstafari - replaced link >

Edited by Rothstafari

This is the design:

Data:

Here you can pre-order this Geocoin

Nice coin. Might want to change that to Save Our Lives though.

<Edit: FSM- corrected link in quoted post>

Thank you very much for the correction. Changed it.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

This is the design:

Data:

Here you can pre-order this Geocoin

I don't get it...how or why is this a geocoin?

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Thank you for your interest and feedback. I think I have to add some more explanations:

1. Relation of the Coin to Geocaching:

- Sumatra is still developing country regarding Geocaching.

- The aim should be that the Elephant travels from cache to cache to point to the existing problem and help solving it.

2. Donation to WWF

- I felt it to be more respectable to set a fixed amount for donation, because profit depends on numbers of sold Coins and is therefore not terminated at the beginning. By the way it could be more or less than 1€.

Thank you for your interest and feedback. I think I have to add some more explanations:

1. Relation of the Coin to Geocaching:

- Sumatra is still developing country regarding Geocaching.

By still developing you mean it has 11 caches in all of Indonesia. (4 of which have never been found) How many on the the island of Sumatra?

- The aim should be that the Elephant travels from cache to cache to point to the existing problem and help solving it.

Are you saying you have an elephant trained to take you from cache to cache in a country that has virtually no caches? Now that's cool. Aroung here we just have tupperware sniffing dogs to help find caches.

2. Donation to WWF

- I felt it to be more respectable to set a fixed amount for donation, because profit depends on numbers of sold Coins and is therefore not terminated at the beginning. By the way it could be more or less than 1€.

You know how many coins are going to be sold as you OP stated they would not be made until they are all sold basically.

I don't see anything GC related here other than being trackable and that's not enough for me. I thought GC had to approve coins and they HAD to be geocaching related.

Edited by pghlooking

Nice idea, ordered one nickel and one golden. I don`t think that any geocoin has to be realated to geocaching, because geocachers can have also much different interesses. And with this coin, you can show other cachers the fate of this animal. This was the reason for me to order this coin. Yes, at first glance it would be better to donate the whole money to the WWF, but i think some advertising is also necessarry. If no one knows about the things, no one cares about.

Regards

Steve

Passing.

With all due respect, the coin looks a bit like clip art was used. Non state/org, etc. coins aren't selling well these days so if you're going to sell one like this, the design has to be fantastic.

Don't take this as a flame, just some constructive criticism.

Why not this, since your prices go up for the LEs:

- Antique Silver: 150 coins 5,40 € (incl 1,40€ donation to WWF)

- Black Nickel: 50 coins (max 1 coin / team) 7,00 € (incl 2,80€ donation to WWF)

- Antique Gold: 50 coins (max 1 coin / team) 7,00 € (incl 2,80€ donation to WWF)

Okay, sure the antique adds 20 cents per coin, so maybe:

- Antique Silver: 150 coins 5,40 € (incl 1,20€ donation to WWF)

- Black Nickel: 50 coins (max 1 coin / team) 7,00 € (incl 2,80€ donation to WWF)

- Antique Gold: 50 coins (max 1 coin / team) 7,00 € (incl 2,60€ donation to WWF)

It makes people doubt your intensions for minting this coin.

Pssst! Hey buddy, wanna buy some cheap land in Florida? How would anyone know if you are actually making a donation to WWF? Are you in any way affiliated with WWF? Do they (WWF) know of this project? I think this concept is going WAAAAAY out on a limb to even relate it to geocaching let alone one that raises a few eyebrows. :o

I don't see why the coin has to be cache related? I just bought 2 Canada coins the only thing "cache related" about them is the wording "Canadian caches from eh to zed"??? I like the coin. The problem that I have is that you don't you list the price in US dollars? What is this €? :o

Even though the WWF is a great and worthy organization to be supporting, I too will pass on these.

Just not special enough. :unsure:

IF I were gonna consider buying a couple, I'd at least want a more realistic elephant on there.

Maybe even 3-D... Or 3-D Two tone-similar to the Canine Cachers Ver 2 geocoin.

If you were to go that route, I'd "probably" purchase a couple (My minister's wife is a elephant freak! They could be a cool B-Day or Christmas present. ;) )

D-man B)

I don't see why the coin has to be cache related?

Because this is Geocaching! The purpose of the Geocoin Discussions in the Geocaching Hitchhikers subcategory in the Groundspeak Forums is to talk, trade, and sell Geocoins. If it's not Geocaching related then it should be somewhere else since Geocaching is the common bond for everyone here. In fact if it's not Geocaching related then this coin is nothing more than a coin being sold to support a group or charity cause, which is no different than selling one to support the Red Cross or something else. There is a common theme in this post about geocoins that maybe the people who don't think the coins need to be geocaching related might pick up on. :unsure:

You know, since this coin is not really about geocaching, how about saving some money, not making it trackable or iconish and having more to give to the WWF. And instead of trying to sell it here, try to sell it to coin clubs, they are hundreds of them out there who do just that.

Just search coin club and it should return hundreds of links to sell non-geocaching coins, practically every city has a coin club.

I just said why it is Geocaching related:

- The aim should be that the Sumatra Elephant Geocoin travels from cache to cache to point to the existing problem and help solving it.

By the way: How is (for example) the World Championship Geocoin related to Geocaching?

Edited by DRunners

It's not and there's a long list as of late that aren't. But by the way you have taken to make yours geocaching related in a stretch, the makers of that coin along with many many others do the same. I guess your example would be said to travel to Sporting Championships of the World, spreading the word about geocaching.

Anyone can say it's a geocoin, but more and more people are starting to see through this and see what it truly is, or in these cases, what it isn't.

I don't see why the coin has to be cache related?

Because this is Geocaching! The purpose of the Geocoin Discussions in the Geocaching Hitchhikers subcategory in the Groundspeak Forums is to talk, trade, and sell Geocoins. If it's not Geocaching related then it should be somewhere else since Geocaching is the common bond for everyone here. In fact if it's not Geocaching related then this coin is nothing more than a coin being sold to support a group or charity cause, which is no different than selling one to support the Red Cross or something else. There is a common theme in this post about geocoins that maybe the people who don't think the coins need to be geocaching related might pick up on. :unsure:

So what do travel bugs have to do with geocaching? Someone attaches a tag to a toy or some other item that has nothing to do with geocaching. Is it really a geocaching travel bug then?

So what do travel bugs have to do with geocaching? Someone attaches a tag to a toy or some other item that has nothing to do with geocaching. Is it really a geocaching travel bug then?

You can't be serious...But I will bite. The tag is 100% Geocaching related. The toy or item attached is nothing more than a hitchiker which is is nothing more than the 100% geocaching related traveller being personalized. Kind of like when someone has their name engraved onto a coin. I still don't believe that you are serious, but there ya go. Any more questions about travelbugs and their relative relationship with Geocaching probably should be asked in that forum though. You will get much better answers there than I can give you in the Geocoin forums, but I hope that helped you.

You can't be serious...But I will bite. The tag is 100% Geocaching related. The toy or item attached is nothing more than a hitchiker which is is nothing more than the 100% geocaching related traveller being personalized. Kind of like when someone has their name engraved onto a coin. I still don't believe that you are serious, but there ya go. Any more questions about travelbugs and their relative relationship with Geocaching probably should be asked in that forum though. You will get much better answers there than I can give you in the Geocoin forums, but I hope that helped you.

But see, according to that logic then, any coin with geocaching tracking is just a hitchhiker because the tracking number is 100% geocaching related. Its just a more compact, customized travel bug that people have started to sell.

There are strong feelings on what a geocoin should and should not be. I personally view then as specialized travel bugs (which even fits with their placemet in the Hitchhikers forums along with travel bugs). However, arguing about the meaning of geocoin hasn't gone anywhere productive yet, and probably won't anytime soon.

Several posters have pointed out several more significant potential problems with the coin which are likely to lead to slow sales. Kelia hit the nail on the head. There is nothing special about this coin (other than a donation) to make me, and I suspect many other geocachers, want it. As shown it's a little cute, but very simple and not significantly different than many other coins that are selling VERY slowly at a popular geocoin source.

I probably have more geocoins in hand than I can release in a year so I am becoming much more selective in what I purchase. I want a geocoin that hits on several or all of the following: I can relate to it; it is well executed (high quality, interesting, unique); it has an interesting icon; and, it is reasonably priced. Simple designs with large puddles of color never did much for me. Judging by the slower sales of other geocoins, I suspect that these are fairly common justifications for coin purchases.

Another potential issue with the coin is the indefinate production schedule. I wouldn't want to pay for a coin that will be produced after 400 are ordered. With the stated lack of interest in the coin. I'd be afraid of paying and haveing the coin take an extraordinarily long time to appear.

Good luck, but I'm going to pass too.

So what do travel bugs have to do with geocaching? Someone attaches a tag to a toy or some other Geocoin forums, but I hope that helped you.

But see, according to that logic then, any coin with geocaching tracking is just a hitchhiker because the tracking number is 100% geocaching related. Its just a more compact, customized travel bug that people have started to sell.

The fact of the mater is that the vast majority of coins end up in collections, not being tracked and the buyers have decided that they want the coins sitting on their desk to be caching related. If they're not in the wild, then they need to be cache related, otherwise they would just be another coin/token collection and not related to the hobby.

So what do travel bugs have to do with geocaching? Someone attaches a tag to a toy or some other Geocoin forums, but I hope that helped you.

The fact of the mater is that the vast majority of coins end up in collections, not being tracked and the buyers have decided that they want the coins sitting on their desk to be caching related. If they're not in the wild, then they need to be cache related, otherwise they would just be another coin/token collection and not related to the hobby.

Maybe these more simple designs then will get them out in the wild. People won't be buying them to sit in their collection. Seeing as the original intent of the geocoin was to get out into the wild and travel, it would seem maybe the "non-geoaching" related coins would help them do this.

Keep in mind that the charity aspect of Geocoins doesn't make them desirable anymore. In the bigger picture (not Geocaching related), the elephant is competing with people, since victims of Sumatra Earthquake & Tsunami are still looking for donations.

Seeing how cool your Rhein-Nahe and All in One Geocoins are, the design on this one doesn't meet your standards. :unsure:

There are strong feelings on what a geocoin should and should not be. I personally view then as specialized travel bugs (which even fits with their placemet in the Hitchhikers forums along with travel bugs). However, arguing about the meaning of geocoin hasn't gone anywhere productive yet, and probably won't anytime soon.

Several posters have pointed out several more significant potential problems with the coin which are likely to lead to slow sales. Kelia hit the nail on the head. There is nothing special about this coin (other than a donation) to make me, and I suspect many other geocachers, want it. As shown it's a little cute, but very simple and not significantly different than many other coins that are selling VERY slowly at a popular geocoin source.

I probably have more geocoins in hand than I can release in a year so I am becoming much more selective in what I purchase. I want a geocoin that hits on several or all of the following: I can relate to it; it is well executed (high quality, interesting, unique); it has an interesting icon; and, it is reasonably priced. Simple designs with large puddles of color never did much for me. Judging by the slower sales of other geocoins, I suspect that these are fairly common justifications for coin purchases.

Another potential issue with the coin is the indefinate production schedule. I wouldn't want to pay for a coin that will be produced after 400 are ordered. With the stated lack of interest in the coin. I'd be afraid of paying and haveing the coin take an extraordinarily long time to appear.

Good luck, but I'm going to pass too.

To make it clear: Nobody will be asked to pay untill the realization has been decided.

Getting away from the elephant for a minute, has Groundspeak ever said that geocoins need to be geocaching related??

Yea I agree its weird to have things that has had nothing ever to do with anything related to geocaching or gc.com, tracked here, but is it prohibited?

No- but when there are this many problems and questions regarding the sale of this item, it makes you wonder about the motive behind it. I'm sure if the artwork had been better and the sales info had been better presented, this coin wouldn't have as much negative response toward it.

Pssst! Hey buddy, wanna buy some cheap land in Florida? How would anyone know if you are actually making a donation to WWF? Are you in any way affiliated with WWF? Do they (WWF) know of this project? I think this concept is going WAAAAAY out on a limb to even relate it to geocaching let alone one that raises a few eyebrows. <_<

I will put the donation receipt on the website.

Edited by DRunners

Getting away from the elephant for a minute, has Groundspeak ever said that geocoins need to be geocaching related??

Yea I agree its weird to have things that has had nothing ever to do with anything related to geocaching or gc.com, tracked here, but is it prohibited?

Groundspeak has never said that coins need to be geocaching related, but I think it's clear that the geocoin collecting community has. There have been multiple topics on "what makes a geocoin a geocoin" and the such...opinions vary but lately the consensus seems to be that coins need to have some relation to caching to be considered worthy of purchase here.

Not a bad thing IMO.

Well...I like them. And the ones that I am getting will definitely be "geocache related". They will be put into caches as soon as I get them! :(

Nice, this is the idea of this coin. Everybody should be called while finding caches to help the Sumatra Elephants

Groundspeak has never said that coins need to be geocaching related, but I think it's clear that the geocoin collecting community has. There have been multiple topics on "what makes a geocoin a geocoin" and the such...opinions vary but lately the consensus seems to be that coins need to have some relation to caching to be considered worthy of purchase here.

Not a bad thing IMO.

Thanks for explaining that Kealia :(

Again, I like the concept of this coin. The major problems I see are:

1 - They are calld Sumatran Elephants NOT Sumatra

2 - Sumatran Elephants are an "Asian" variety, who have SMALL ears. Not BIG like the coin.

3 - There are approx. 2,440 to 3,350 individuals left, NOT 700!

WWF Website on Sumatran Elephants

I LOVE ELEPHANTS! I have a HUGE collection of them.

This coin would have been a wonderful addition, but the errors are too overwhelming.

Sorry, no deal.

=D-----

Again, I like the concept of this coin. The major problems I see are:

1 - They are calld Sumatran Elephants NOT Sumatra

2 - Sumatran Elephants are an "Asian" variety, who have SMALL ears. Not BIG like the coin.

3 - There are approx. 2,440 to 3,350 individuals left, NOT 700!

WWF Website on Sumatran Elephants

I LOVE ELEPHANTS! I have a HUGE collection of them.

This coin would have been a wonderful addition, but the errors are too overwhelming.

Sorry, no deal.

=D-----

1. fixed

2. This is a comic, no picture

3. fixed

I am very sorry for this mistakes. Thank you very much for telling this mistakes.

Edited by DRunners