Choosing Between Small Units

nfa

I'm thinking about getting a small-sized GPS unit as a backup for my Meri-Plat...the choices I'm currently thinking about are:

• one of the Geko series
  • one of the foretrex series

I would love any advice/experience/warnings anyone has to give...

Thanks,

Jamie - NFA

The foretrex if I remember it right is a wrist unit that is mainly used to measure how far/fast you've jogged or biked. If I am correct on that, I believe it is very difficult if not impossible to even manually put in waypoints and routes.

The Geko is a good inexpensive unit. In fact, more and more, the Geko 101 is overtaking the Lowrance IFinder GO as the least expensive unit you can buy new (some vendors have it for $49 sometimes). From what I hear it is a decent unit for the price performance-wise, the two knocks on it are that they do not have even basic maps of any kind and you have to manually enter all your waypoints and routes, no computer connectivity. Good luck!

I use a Geko 101 and it serves my purpose well. I don't do a lot of caches on the same day so I don't mind the manual coord entry. The 201 and 301 do have computer connectivity, if that is something that you need. My Geko 101 does not have WAAS, I notice on the garmin website that it shows 101's are now WAAS enabled, so it may be mine is an older unit. I've never had reception problems unless I'm deep in the rocks. Battery life using the AAA's is about 8-10 hours on Duracells in battery save mode. Pretty basic. I'm happy with it.

I would recomend the explorist 210, As E Scout mentioned you would be able to use the same software. They Explorist and the Meridian operate the same way so you would not have to learn how to use a new type of GPS, about the only thing the is not the same is that the Explorist has a more elaborate system for storing cache files does not us an SD card.

With the rebate that just started on the 210 you may find one online for about $130.00 after the rebate.

I own, use, and LOVE to Foretrex 101!!

It has an optional cable for data input from my PC. I use it extensively for hiking, backpacking and geocaching. In fact, it is my "Go To" GPS for everything except city navigation. It is extremely lightweight, uses AAA batteries (I despise rechargeable proprietary battery packs in back country GPS uses), can be worn on the wrist, or as I do it, remove the strap and attach a piece of Velcro, so it will attach directly to the top of my pack strap up near my shoulder.

I now use it in place of my pedometer for my daily walking.

I can get to any spot just as accurately, quickly and easy, using my Foretrex 101 as anyone using any other GPS made.

I use a Geko 101 and it serves my purpose well. I don't do a lot of caches on the same day so I don't mind the manual coord entry. The 201 and 301 do have computer connectivity, if that is something that you need. My Geko 101 does not have WAAS, I notice on the garmin website that it shows 101's are now WAAS enabled, so it may be mine is an older unit. I've never had reception problems unless I'm deep in the rocks. Battery life using the AAA's is about 8-10 hours on Duracells in battery save mode. Pretty basic. I'm happy with it.

Hiker GPS I noticed in your avatar that you are holding your treking pole incorrectly. You will greatly improve your Level ground hiking efficency if you hold the pole to a 30 degree angle and place the tip even with your foot pushing back as you walk foreward. Of course ascending or decending is another thing altogeather.

I'm thinking about getting a small-sized GPS unit as a backup for my Meri-Plat...the choices I'm currently thinking about are:

• one of the Geko series
  • one of the foretrex series

I would love any advice/experience/warnings anyone has to give...

Thanks,

Jamie - NFA

I've seen a ForeTrex (likely a 201) on the wrist of a local cacher who FTF'd the first DeLorme Challenge here in Northern California. He seems quite happy with it, especially since he uses a second GPSr for car navigation.

I use a Geko 201 on occasion. Great little unit for the price, since I bought it refurbished. It's a bit skittish compared to a Magellan, so don't be surprised if the coordinates jump with very little movement on your part. It is very accurate, and 201 and 301 support WAAS and PC connectivity, while the 101 doesn't. Its Achilles Heel is the battery life - with AAA alkalines, be surprised if you get 10 hours. I use NiMH rechargeables so I get less.

Just a caution on the suggestion to consider an Explorist to take advantage of your Magellan software...if you have Topo3D or DirectRoute, they will work with an Explorist. If you have MapSend Streets & Destinations or Topu USA, these products are not compatible with the Explorist.

Hi,

Thanks for all of the great feedback...I have TOPO USA, so as I understand it, I could not use it with the explorists...plus, I was seduced by a friend's geko 201 this weekend at an event, so I am really thinking about the tiny size of the 2 garmin species I mentioned...they are seriously small!

I like pc connectivity...so the geko 101 would be out, and I don't much like the idea of being tied to the the lithium battery pack of the foretrex 201...so it is probably between the foretrex 101 and the Geko 201 or 301...thoughts on these 3 choices???

Again, thanks for any and all earlier comments...

Jamie - NFA

The Geko GPS units, or Foretrex will be much better for outdoor exercise, giving you an accurate Trip Distance, and Elapsed Timer.

None of my Magellans were any good for logging Trip Info on my hikes, or my running exercise.

A small garmin velcro'd to the top of the backpack strap on your shoulder is a cool way to log your hikes, and you could still use the Magellan for your GOTOs.