On To The Geoluau!

Shop99er

The Fling has flung so it's time to think about the GeoLuau. It's not to far away and I know calendars are starting to fill up.

The third annual GeoLuau will be on August 19th at Jarstad Park in Gorst, Kitsap County, WA

We have plenty of new and excitting things planned for you as well as the always popular GPS Accuracy Games for kids and adults. In addition to the accuracy games we are going to have a kids scavenger cache hunt and we're working on having a kids Luau Olympics!

Of course we are going to appreciate Hawaiian attire and in addition to appreciating the guys who wear kilts to the GeoLuau we are going to encourage the ladies to wear their best tiara. Why? Because how can you pass up any opportunity to wear a kilt or a tiara?

There was such a huge turn out at the Spring Fling that we are finding ourselves needing to have a pre-registration. When the GeoLuau is posted there will be a link to a registration page with all the information you need and we are going to ask for some information. There is no need to register. However, we'd like to encourage you to do so that we can have a good idea of how may GPS Accuracy game pieces we need and we can get an idea of how much food we need.

In addition to letting us know how many cachers to plan for we will also be preselling the GeoLuau 3 coins and, if we can get it arranged in time, tshirts . Everyone who pre-registers will have a lanyard with your name, caching name and home town on it.

Again....you don't have to register. You can just show up, have a great time, have a little lunch, play the games and get a special stick on name tag.

We have plenty more to be planned and as things fall together we'll post it here!

Hope we'll see you all there!

Logo.jpg

This year we are trying something new. A pre-registration form. This should stream-line the check in and make it easier on all of us!

Just go to the event listing, click on the register HERE link and read all the details of the lulu. Then cilck on the pre-register link and fill out the information.

From the pre-registration page you can pay for t-shirts, caps and coins. You can also sign up for all the games....and there's plenty of them...

When you get to the luau you can do a quick stop by registration, pick up any items you've ordered, get your game numbers and flags. Fast and easy!

You DO NOT HAVE TO BUY ANYTHING to pre-register. There is no charge to come to the GeoLuau 3 event but we do encourage you to pre-register. By doing so you will have a fancy, pre-printed, better than a sticky name tag, badge waiting for you.

Hope to see you all at the LUAU!!

PLEASE register if you are planning on being at the GeoLuau. Just follow the links on the GeoLuau page.

You don't have to buy anything but it will get you a snazzy clip on badge for the GeoLuau. I just need your real name, your caching name and location. Your bagde will be waiting for you.

The cut off date for the tshirts and hats for GeoLuau 3 is going to be the 19th.

So far, via on-line registrations we are going to come up WAYYYY short on the minimum we need to go ahead with the order.

If we don't have enough to make a hat and shirt order by the 19th I will be refunding money on the t-shirts and hats ordered. If you paid via PayPal the money will go back into your account.

The GeoLuau coins will be ordered this week.

Shop99er

Things are, for the most part, moving forward. We are starting to get some sponsors behind the event and the registrations are trickling in.

Good news is that we're on track and on schedule.

Bad news is that I've had to refund payments for any and all hat and t-shirt orders. We just couldn't get enough pre-ordered to make the minimum for manufacture. Oh well, maybe next year.

One more quick note....

The coins were ordered today. We are going to have just a few over 100.

Sales for them are not brisk on the registration page which isn't a real big deal. They will be available at the GeoLuau. When you see Shop99er put on his trademark yellow Hawaiian shirt...that's when it's time to hit him up for a coin.

Those of you who have paid for a coin, they will be in your welcome envelope when you go to the registration table.

ALOHA!

Hmm... I was planning on going, but now the University of Wisconsin Seattle Alumni Association is having their brats and beer picnic that day.

Tough call...

Bull, we both know dam well what you are going to do. There is no way you are going to pass up brats and beer and all those great people from Wisconsin standing around bragging about how great Wisconsin is. We will miss you. We could probably round up some brats and beer but would have a hard time finding anyone to brag about Wisconsin. Dick from the Sucker State of Illinois

Bull, we both know dam well what you are going to do. There is no way you are going to pass up brats and beer and all those great people from Wisconsin standing around bragging about how great Wisconsin is. We will miss you. We could probably round up some brats and beer but would have a hard time finding anyone to brag about Wisconsin. Dick from the Sucker State of Illinois

You are a wise man. :(

The GZs and elevation have been set. Today, I assisted Bruce, Ajetpilot in setting the GZ for the A (Alpha) and also for the B (Beta) sites. We also established the elevation for the elevation platform. We used the same GPS as used last year for the GeoLuau. A amplified external antenna on a 15 foot mast was attached and we let it acquire for a long time and then averaged. The satellite reception is much better than last year. We had a good cluster and all "D's" with a full bar of the WAAS satellite #47. Best accuracy indicated was 2 feet.

I will attach a picture of the area on the Event page.

Both sites A & B were equal in reception. When you sign in for the GPS accuracy game you will be given a flag and a elevation card with the same number as you signed in on. Anyone who does the accuracy game at sites A or B will have a chance at the elevation platform for one of the three Premium memberships donated by Groundspeak. Luck will be a big factor as GPSs are not that accurate for elevation. The elevation platform will be over near my white van and is self-serve. Using the numbered card, write down your geocaching name and the elevation as indicated on your GPS. Be sure it is in feet and tenths of a foot. Place your card in the orange container attaached to the elevation platform.

Edited by W7WT

Hmm... I was planning on going, but now the University of Wisconsin Seattle Alumni Association is having their brats and beer picnic that day.

Tough call...

I'm having the same problem - there is YPP! (Yohoho Puzzle Pirates) gathering in Seattle the same day...

Go to Seattle, get tipsy, wear pirate costumes.... Or stay here, get tipsy, and wear an ugly Hawiaan shirt?

Decisons, decisons....

Tough call...

I'm having the same problem - there is YPP! (Yohoho Puzzle Pirates) gathering in Seattle the same day...

Go to Seattle, get tipsy, wear pirate costumes.... Or stay here, get tipsy, and wear an ugly Hawiaan shirt?

Decisons, decisons....

Alright...do I have to say it?

;) Kalua Pig.

;) Raffle prizes that will include Kayakerinme's set of 5 trackable, with an icon, personal gold coins and lots more!

The pig should have been enough but...there's also the GeoLuau 3 geocoin to be had. There's a chance to show how good of a cacher you really are at the W7WT GPS Accuracy Field.

Did I mention pig?

Just a heads up to anyone who is thinking that they'd like to have a tiara but haven't gotten one yet. Most craft stores that sell those foam crafts have foamie tiaras. Michaels had theirs for $1 last time I was in there. They are plain but come in several colors. I am bringing over some Luau themed foamie stick'ems to decorate them with so you can make yours special!!!! :D:D:D

Mrs. Shop99er is deadly serious about her tiaras. This is the GeoLuau tiara she'll be wearing.

GEOLUAUtiara.jpg

Yeah, that does say GEOLUAU across it.

MY GOD! do we have to treat her like a QUEEN?????

Are you saying you don't already? Been nice knowing you. :D

I know she deserves to be treated like a Queen, I was just asking it we had to.

I guess the answer is YES!!

Edited by W7WT

Welcome to all the Geocachers that it will be their first time at the GeoLuau. The flags we use for the GPS Accuracy Game are marker flags. They have a number on them and the staff is a thin wire. The ground is like concrete since it has been dry for a long time. When you stick them in the ground please grab down near the lower in and you can insert them about a half inch into the ground. Trying to push them in from the top will bend the wire. Thanks, Dick W7WT

PPSsssssstttt...... wanna see what a dollar will get you at GeoLuau 3?

Groundspeak basket that includes a How To Geocache DVD

Groundspeak basket that includes a How Two Geocache Book

Groundspeak basket that includes a Signal the Frog plush toy

Groundspeak basket that includes a bunch of Groundspeak stuff

1 Free Large Pizza at Godfathers in Port Orchard

1 Free Large Pizza at Godfathers in Port Orchard

GeocoinClub.com Trackable May 2006 coin

GeocoinClub.com Trackable January 2006 coin "Rot 13"

GeocoinClub.com Trackable April 2006 coin

GeocoinClub.com Trackable March 2006 coin "Can you see me now"

GeocoinClub.com Trackable February 2006 coin "Ghosts of Caching Past"

3 month subscription to Geocoinclub.com

Free GSAK registration

Large Geo.U mug , 10 "I Found It" buttons & 10 film canister Geocaching stickers

10 "G" symbol geocaching window clings

Full set of trackable gold personal coins by kayakerinme (5 coins AND an icon)

Lewis and Clark Benchmarkcoin

Pyramids of Giza Benchmarkcoin

2005 Mr. Muggles Bigfoot Coin

Four Corners USA Benchmarkcoin, V1

Geographical Center of North America Benchmarkcoin, v1

Coupon good for one Geographical Center of North America Benchmarkcoin, v2

Coupon good for one Mt Rainier Benchmarkcoin to be released in Sept.

Coupon good for one Mt St Helens Benchmarkcoin to be released in Sept.

Coupon good for one Washington Monument Benchmarkcoin to be released in Sept.

Coupon good for one American Camp, San Juan Island Benchmarkcoin to be released in Sept.

1 Greenman Gold Coin

1 Greenman Gold Coin

1 Greenman Gold Coin

1 Greenman Gold Coin

1 Greenman Gold Coin

Gift Certificate for 15 Free GeoNickels at GeoNickels.com

.... and a few other odds and ends....

Just one dollar and one raffle ticket and one of these is YOURS! Yeah, you gotta be there to win....

How about 15 for $10

You know I'm not in charge, here......

I am not going to comment on your statement!!!

Your head will explode!! :laughing:

Please refer to the pictures of Her Tikiness above.

Now, before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, this raffle is being held to help defray the costs of putting these things on.

One of the biggest Geocachers around is giving up Wisconsin Beer & Brats just to bring Little Moose to the GeoLuau.

August 17 by Bull Moose (514 found)

Mrs. Moose is in DC, so we (Baby Moose and I) will be coming here instead of the previously planned Seattle U. Wisconsin Alumni picnic.

Welcome Bull & Little Moose!!!!!

How about 15 for $10? Also how does this work? If you call my number, do I have a choice in the selection or do you hold up the prize and then draw for a number and you get that. Thanks

We will hold up a prize, announce a number and the holder of that number wins that item.

Any 'rasslin' matches that take place over prized items...kindly take it out in to the yard.

Swaps are encouraged. Swipes are not.

What happens in the parking lot over prizes is NOT our problem.

And we're going to do the awards a little differently this year to move it along a little faster.

The Kids LuauLympics is going to go first. There will be trophies awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. We'll make a little to-do over them, award the trophies and move quickly onto the Kids GPS Toss winners.

Just like the adults we are going to go in order of 'close'. This year we are going to have all the kids prizes in brown paper bags. The agony of picking one thing off of a table full of goodies is overwhelming to some kids and, frankly, it takes them to long. So, we will read the names in order, the kids will march up, grab a bag and go. We hope this will go fairly fast.

After the kids are done we will be handing out raffle prizes. We have quite a few items to go through and we hope to get through them as quickly as possible. We'll call the number a couple of times and if no one comes forward we will draw another number.

For the adults GPS Game we are going to call the names of the first top 10 closest one at a time. They will come to the table, pick their prize and the next person will be called. Once the top 10 are done we will be calling the names in clumps of 5 or 6. All of those called will come to the table and duke it out for a prize.

Once the last name is called we will ask Master of Ceremonies and Father of the GPS Accuracy Game to come forward and announce the top three Elevation Estimation winners. Winners will receive, in order, a 1 year, 6 month and 3 month Premium Membership at Geocaching.com. If the winner already is a Premium Member their membership will be extended.

Less than 24 hours to go!!!!!!

I'm so excited I can hardly sit still!!!!!!

I have my tiara ready!!!!! It's very cool!!!!!!

MMMMMMMMMM pork!!!!!!!!!!

Cooked up about 60 pounds of the stuff over the week. Ummmmm pork rules!

And, we have just picked up Google as a sponsor!! They will be giving us hot dogs and hamburgers for grilling!

If you leave this event hungry then it's your own fault!!

AND... we are shutting off registration tonight at about 7PM. If you haven't registered by then...sorry, you're going to have to make due with a sticky badge and sign up for games.

See you all tomorrow! Bring lawn chairs!!

I have been a small part of the GeoLuau and Spring Fling since they started. Mr. & Mrs Shop99er and Hawk really outdid their self on this event. I can't believe all the sponsers they rounded up. A special thanks go to the 4-Grays that came up with the idea of using a spread sheet on their new Laptop to do all the logging and sorting. Belleterre use to do all that by hand to sort out the ranking. Good luck to her in her Triathelon today. She and Bruce, Ajetpilot have been with me since the very first Spring Fling GPS Contest. Rick Geodiver sweated in the sun and also over the grill. Steve of the 4 Grays not only did he job in the field but was there early and along with Ruck put up my canapy. Ruck was there after the event helping me break camp. That guy sure knows how. But most of all thanks to all the Geocachers that attended and dropped by to say hello. Almost forgot Chuck who did a great job when we could keep him off his new Harley. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

This morning we feel like we've been drug through a knot hole backwards...but it was all worth it. This GeoLuau was great!

We have so many people to thank. The GeoLuau success, as with all our events, is due, in no small part, to the dedication of our crew and the cachers who attend. Without you guys the events would just be a bunch of people sitting in lawn chairs passing around a bag of potato chips.

Please keep an eye on the event listing. We will be thanking people as well as sponsors and naming names.

But just for now....

Tim, -Hawk- (who we lovingly call Scooby) worked like a dog to get the LuauLympics going for the kids. If it looked like it was just a few minutes of organized chaos, well it WAS but it was also months of planning. Tim's girls were our lab rats for all the games before the GeoLuau. Bless their hearts. We took something that should have been fun and just drove it into the ground for them.

Dick, W7WT is the whole reason you're out in that field looking for ground zero. The GPS game is all Dick's idea and without him and his crew out on the field there would be a whole lot less humiliation on how good a cacher you are.

The GPS List of Shame (how well you did) will be up shortly. You can access that list, as well as prior lists, will be available through Shop99er profile page.

The crew, you know who you are... you will all be named and thanked on the event listing... but THANK YOU guys for coming out the the park early, going beyond what was necessary and making the GeoLuau what it was.

Our sponsors were so generous. We had local sponsorship as well as national sponsorship. I will be posting a list of companies who donated on the event sheet soon. If you can please send them a note and let them know you appreciate their sponsorship or when you're in town, drop by the stores and let the owners know you appreciate their donations. It greases the whole sponsorship/donation wheel for next year.

For those of you who won certificates for subscriptions or certificates for coins, please let us know who you are so we can contact the companies and confirm that you are winners. If you have any problem at all collecting your prize please contact us.

Thanks again everyone. Thanks for all the food, the fun, the hugs and for taking time to come out and make our events a success. Start getting those tiaras for GeoLuau 4!

Just a few comments on how well you did yesterday.Last year the morning session had much better results than the afternoon session. This year it was just the opposite. In the morning session 8 out of 23 or about 1/3 of you were within 5 feet. At the afternoon session 17 out of 36 or about half of you were within 5 feet. Morning session did not have any one under 2 feet while the afternoon session had 11 out of 36 or about 1/3 of you were under 2 feet with 2 under one foot. At the elevation platform 3 out of 49 were right on the 40 foot elevation. 10 of your were less than a foot off. 17 were within 5 feet which is 1/3 of you. We had better satellite coverage this year. There was no significant difference between the Alpha and Bravo sites. Thanks again for participating. Dick, W7WT

We're locking down this thread and moving on to the GeoBoo. But before we go please check the GeoLuau event listing. We've named names and thanked people. There's also a Lost and Found list of things we found at the park after GeoLuau 3.

The lists of shame will be up soon.

We'll continue to add photos.

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by Shop99er