Puzzle Caches, How Exactly Do They Work?

Mossman

I have looked at the puzzle caches but haven't found one yet. I was just wondering what exactly you have to do for a puzzle cache. Example: GCVFHC

Well, usually you solve the puzzle to get the actual coordinates of the cache. Then you go and find it and log it like any other cache.

In the case of the puzzle you cited, there is one additional step: you tell the hider that obnoxious non-hints like the one on that cache are not appropriate.

In the case of the puzzle you cited, there is one additional step: you tell the hider that obnoxious non-hints like the one on that cache are not appropriate.

I hope you are kidding. The hint is great.

Really? I solved the puzzle, just for fun, and I didn't see any relevance. Maybe I missed something. Wouldn't be the first time.

I hope you are kidding. The hint is great.

Hints like that fall into the same category as "if you don't have anything nice to say maybe you should say nothing at all" ^_^

Ever feel like no one is reading what you write? They just read the first message or two in a thread and then chime in on the conversation.

Sometimes you find hints that say something like "You don't need a clue" by which they mean that they aren't going to give you any additional information. Those are obnoxious, I agree. A waste of time and space.

Sometimes you find hints that say things like "Are you stumped yet?" and the cache is hidden in a tree stump. A pun, an annagram, a play on words, a keyword, etc....there really is something in the hint that would help you solve the puzzle or find the cache. It may be subtle, or it may be blatant. Sometimes, you don't recognize it until after you have found the cache, and then you say "Oh, duh, now I get the hint!"

Especially with puzzle caches, you have to ask yourself why the cache owner chose the particular words they did, or wrote them in that particular order. The cache that was mentioned has a clue like the second type I mentioned. No, really, the hint is a clue to finding the cache.

Am I the only one that "gets" the hint?

No, I "got" the hint the first time. I didn't think it imparted any useful information, given the cache's name. I thought perhaps you saw something else there when you said it was a good hint. I retain my original opinion: it is obnoxious and useless.

Sorry.

Am I the only one that "gets" the hint?

No, I "got" the hint the first time. I didn't think it imparted any useful information, given the cache's name. I thought perhaps you saw something else there when you said it was a good hint. I retain my original opinion: it is obnoxious and useless.

Sorry.

It helps to focus the solver on what is needed to solve the puzzle. I think it was a good hint. Now one day I will have to go to the left coast to find the cache :mad:

Edited by kklems

I have looked at the puzzle caches but haven't found one yet. I was just wondering what exactly you have to do for a puzzle cache.

We have gotten away from really answering the question. As someone said, you solve the puzzle to learn the cordinates.

How you solve the puzzle??? There is no one answer for that question. Puzzles come in a variety of types. Some are language based, some are math based, others are visual, etc. Some require you to know something in advance or to research it, while others have you unscramble or decode some text.

If you search through the forums, you will find lots of threads about the different types of puzzles and how to recognize them, as well as hints for how to start on some of them. There are also links to good books and website URLS.

After reading through those, you should be able to recognize many of the most popular types of puzzles when you run across them. When you run across an oddball type, you can email the cache owner. Most will point you toward the information you need to learn about that cache type.

I agree. The hint is valid. Periodically, a cache owner may choose to be careful about how they write their hint so as to elicit some kind of reaction from the reader. All that's missing on this one is a Neon sign, but then I understand why he didn't use one since he would have otherwise had to move the cache if he did.

Edited by Lasagna

I've decided to not give hints on my puzzle caches anymore. Instead, I write out a series of hints that give more and more away and I'll email them to you when you need them. That way you get just the right amount of hint suited for YOUR situation.

For example, I found that puzzle easy, even without the hint (which BTW is really clever). On the other hand, I know of local puzzles that I have spent more than 20 hours on that I'm not even CLOSE to solving.

I think staged hints are the way to go with puzzles.

Paul

I think staged hints are the way to go with puzzles.
Ok, so I'm quoting myself here but I think I can clarify it some.

Solving a puzzle cache often involves getting to that "ah ha!" moment, the one exact point when you see what the trick is.

Lets say we have a puzzle cache in which the coordinates are written out in French and then encrypted with a ROT12 code. (Note, you don't have to know what ROT12 is to understand my example)

In this example, the puzzle is "gzpqgjfdaue"

For some people, you just don't know where to start. Instead of giving it all away you might say "Rot Cipher" (or Cesear cipher). The hunter then learns about ROT ciphers and plays around with it and if they don't get it you can tell them to rotate by 12. They now have "undeuxtrois"

Now they either get it or they don't, so the third hint might be "Not English"

And the fourth hint might be "French" and then the see the "un deux trois" or "123"

This is best done interactively in my opinion.

Paul

Lasagna-I agree. The hint is valid. Periodically, a cache owner may choose to be careful about how they write their hint so as to elicit some kind of reaction from the reader. All that's missing on this one is a Neon sign, but then I understand why he didn't use one since he would have otherwise had to move the cache if he did.

I solved the puzzle quickly and liked the pertinent hint. The humorous quote, above, almost made me pass gas-truely a noble effort.

I suppose I am not very forigiving about hints for puzzle caches; that might be because I work very hard to make mine useful but not too obvious.

My best one ever, I think, is for this puzzle. See if you can understand the hint and solve it.

Fizzy, I can solve the (definitely excellent) puzzle, but I still can't understood the (probably excellent) hint. :laughing:

My best one ever, I think, is for this puzzle. See if you can understand the hint and solve it.

Fizzy, I can solve the (definitely excellent) puzzle, but I still can't understood the (probably excellent) hint. :laughing:

I sent you a hint about the hint. Let me know what you think once you've figured it out!

Hmm... hints that require hints. Now that's a concept!

I sent you a hint about the hint. Let me know what you think once you've figured it out!

OK, I now understand how "Rather mugger rem" is a good clue for the puzzle. Nice.

But...I spent about 5x longer on the hint than the puzzle. :laughing:

OK, I now understand how "Rather mugger rem" is a good clue for the puzzle. Nice.

But...I spent about 5x longer on the hint than the puzzle. :laughing:

I don't get the "Rather mugger rem" hint, but I am pretty sure I can solve the puzzle...