New Lowrance Ifinder Expidition Color

k0rpl

Good Evening:

Name is Justin. I am new to this board, and to Geocaching in itself. I just purchased a new Lowrance Ifinder Expedition Color, and I have a few questions.

1: How do I enter coordinates of a cache and get a map from my starting location to the cache? I know it is possible, but when I look at the book, I need to put the cursor ontop fo the cache location, and then I can create a waypoint. This is backwards. I want to be able to put the GPS Coordinates in, and walk to the cache location. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Found Three Cache's on 4-29-2006 around De Pere, WI.

Justin

Press the "ENT save" (i.e Enter key) key while on a page (No menus up) This should bring up a new waypoint screen. use the pan button to move over "entered position" hit ENT. Now select over the top field and enter the N coordinates in by using the pan key, up down changes numbers, left right selects the digit. Repeat for the W coords in the next field.

Make sure your GPS is set to Degrees/ Minutes (DD* mm.mmm), if it does not appear that way, go to the main menu, to "GPS Setup" and then to "Coordinate System."

Hope this helps.

Airmapper:

Thanks a bunch. I knew there was a way, I just couldn't get to it out in the field, and didn't feel like reading the manual when I got back. Thanks a bunch. So far I really like the unit. Just picked it up yesterday along with the Lowrance mapping program. Works great in my eyes.

Justin

I also recently got a Expedition Color and I just found out that highlighting a waypoint on the map and then choosing the "go to cursor" of the menu unfortunately does exactly what it says - sets a Destination for the *exact* cursor position. I thought it was being smart and realizing that since the cursor was highlighting a waypoint icon, that it was setting my Destination to be that waypoint. That's what my old Magellan Sportrak does, but not so with the Lowrance.

So, if you don't hightlight the cursor right in the middle, you could end up being quite a few feet off. And even getting the cursor too look like it's right on the middle of the waypoint icon, it can still be 10' off or so.

I've found the best thing to do is use the Find button to find the waypoint, select it, the choose 'Go To'. If you use the Find Nearest option, it's likely near or at the top of the list, so it's not so bad to do.