Extra-credit Cache

markp99

I recently placed a cache in a very nice location, but it's very easy to get to, with only minimal effort and saerching.

I'd like to offer an Extra-Credit opportunity on this cache, by placing it somewhat nearby, but in a more challenging location and more devious hide. I have a few thoughts/questions on how I might implement this:

1. I'd like to keep cache #1 where it is due to the nature of the selected location.

2. I'd like cache #2 to become more of an optional Part2 of cache #1, vs a seaparate cache.

3. Should I change cache #1 to a multicache? - not really my preference as I'd like cache #1 to stand on its own.

4. Should I place cache #2 and make #2 the multicache, using cache #1 as a reference point?

5. I would like the location/hints to be identified only within cache #1, not on cache page for #2.

Is this hopelessly confusing?

Any thoughts how to implement?

Thanks!

markp99

If I understand it (and I'm not entirely sure that I do)...

Can you put the coordinates to the second cache inside the first one, then allow anyone who finds both caches to log the cache twice? If they choose to just find the first cache they get one smiley, if the find both they get two.

That sounds like a good idea!!!

Can you do the two smiley thing? I've never seen that. In my experience, a lot of cachers (maybe most) who find an easy cache are not going to go look for a more challenging cache with a devious hide that they cannot in some way log.

Yes a two smiley cache can be done. And I may modify another one of my caches and do the same thing. There are those that can't hike to some of the places where I go, so why not give them at least one they can look for.

Why are you wanting the cache to be part of the first and not a separate cache? Is it less than 528' from the first one? Separate caches would be my first choice.

If they are too close to be listed separately then a multi is another way to go. Don't know the sizes of these caches, but you could place the log in the first cache and the trades in the second. Trading is an optional activity, but if folks want to trade then they have to find the second cache, but finding the first with the log can count as "signed the log" and smilie.

However, somethings that I should point out. Traditionals get found more than multis. Easier caches get found more harder ones. Caches without smilies will be rarely found. None of that is a bad thing. In fact, it might be a good thing. A rarely found cache can be a special prize just in itself. I'm sure it would be thought of more highly than most drive-by caches.

Also, don't try to make you first hides perfect. Just put some effort into them, try different things, and see what works for you. The best caches are the ones that folks enjoy even without a smilie.

I like your option of using cache#1 as a waypoint for (multi-)cache#2. Another option, of course, is to make #2 a puzzle cache and say the coordinates are in cache#1. One cacher around Seattle has made a puzzle cache series where there is a hint/codeword in Cache#1 that will help you solve the puzzle for cache#2, which has a hint for cache#3, etc.

You don't have to make your first caches perfect, but I understand the feeling to make them the best you can. Make sure you cover the basics well and the cache will be appreciated. My basics (others will differ, of course) are:

1. Good coordinates are essential, so average quite a few separate readings, ideally in day and night conditions over a few days.

2. Make sure the hide is well hidden from muggles.

3. Make the hide fit with the location, including size of the cache.

4. (optional) Have some thematic tie-in between the cache page, cache location, cache container, and/or cache swag; or have something unique about the cache. It sounds like you may already have that. Cachers appreciate going the extra mile, but it is all for naught if the coordinates are bad or it's just a micro thrown into a bush.

Just my 2 cents, if that...

Have fun!

Team Maccabee

Edited by Team Maccabee

Many people including myself will not log a find more than once on anyone cache even if it is allowed. I may go after the second part and post a note, but I wouldn't log it twice.

Some people log a find for every stage of a multi, and cache owners let them get away with it or even encourage it. I suspect that at some point, the stats will only reflect a single find on any one cache (similar to travel bugs). As an extreme example, one profile I looked at showed 800 finds of which 400+ were at events.....hummm.

IMHO, place a multi, a puzzle or two caches, but don't place an undocumented "bonus" cache.

Can you do the two smiley thing? I've never seen that. In my experience, a lot of cachers (maybe most) who find an easy cache are not going to go look for a more challenging cache with a devious hide that they cannot in some way log.

Yes a two smiley cache can be done. And I may modify another one of my caches and do the same thing. There are those that can't hike to some of the places where I go, so why not give them at least one they can look for.

If the other cache is unique enough to get a second found it log then why not make it its own cache? You went to the effort to find the other location and put together a container. Or, is this just an effort to get around the rule that, for it be a proper cache, it needs to have a log book in it. This doesn't seem to be much different from someone placing 50+ film canisters on a tree like christmas ornaments and allowing found it logs for each film canister sighted.

quote name='markp99' date='Apr 29 2006, 04:30 PM' post='2182641']

Setting up one cache where two or more finds are allowed is not a good idea. This has been discussed at length over the years and strong opinions regularly clash. So to set up this type of log requirement is to set up a controversy before anyone even finds your cache. I would actually hope that your volunteer reviewer would disallow the dual logging setup. They would save you and others some negative comments.

We just got back from an annual trip to the Mojave Desert where we found one cache that had the coordinates inside for a second. The second had coords for the third, and the third for the fourth. That was fun. All caches had their own pages and could be logged independently. The cache pages all had the coordinates of the first cache so there must have been an arrangement worked out with the cache reviewer.

I recently placed a cache in a very nice location, but it's very easy to get to, with only minimal effort and saerching.

I'd like to offer an Extra-Credit opportunity on this cache, by placing it somewhat nearby, but in a more challenging location and more devious hide. I have a few thoughts/questions on how I might implement this:

1. I'd like to keep cache #1 where it is due to the nature of the selected location.

2. I'd like cache #2 to become more of an optional Part2 of cache #1, vs a seaparate cache.

3. Should I change cache #1 to a multicache? - not really my preference as I'd like cache #1 to stand on its own.

4. Should I place cache #2 and make #2 the multicache, using cache #1 as a reference point?

5. I would like the location/hints to be identified only within cache #1, not on cache page for #2.

Is this hopelessly confusing?

Thanks!

markp99

What you want to do is offer cache 2 as a BONUS cache. I've seen this done before. You list it as a seperate cache but, instead of putting the coordinates on the cache sheet you put them inside cache # 1. On the sheet you list it as a bonus cache for finding cache #1. That way those cachers who find both can log two finds.

Edited by soonerdg