Garmin Etrex Vista Cs

What is the best way to get the GeoCaching waypoints from online into my Garmin eTrex Vista CS?

I have the UBS cable attached and was able to download the loc file from Geocaching. I tried loading the loc file into the Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager software, no luck.

So I downloaded and installed the FREE EasyGPS software. I was then able to upload the loc waypoint file into my Garmin.

Is this the best way?

Is there a way to use the Garmin Trip & Waypoint Manager software with the Geocahcing waypoint files?

From what I am seeing there are different waypoint file formats available and some contain more information then just the waypoint coordinates.

What are your recomendations for my Garmin and Geocaching?

Thanks,

Skunk Ape

I am not familiar with Garmin's Trip & Waypoint Manager software, but if the software is similar to MapSource, then all you need to do is download latest version. I had MetroGuide for my Etrex Vista from 2003. After downloading the lastest version I was able to view gpx and loc files. But you may notice that MapSource will not read gpx/loc files saved by EasyGPS. I don't know why.

Another neat feature of the new MapSource is the abililty to create Google Earth files directly from MapSource; in the View drop downs.

For loc-file translation I recommend GPSBabel ( http://www.gpsbabel.org/ ) It converts from and into nearly any format. You can use it as commandline tool or just run the GUI.

I use it in the following way:

- Select several caches and download the GEOCACHING.LOC file containing them.

- Run GPSBabelGUI.EXE, select the input file (the locfile you downloaded) and its format "Geocaching.com loc", as output type select "garmin gdb"

- press "use default filename"

- press "process"

- press "exit"

Now you will have an file in the same directory named the same way "GEOCACHING.GDB" which you can opn in Mapsource (which comes with your garmin device) and transfer it to your device.

In Mapsource you will see the waypoints by its names (f. ex GC....) and if you go into the properties of one of them, in the "comment line" you see the title of the cache and can also click a button which opens your browser and redirects to the cache on GC.COM :laughing:

Hope this solves your question.

_gOldie_

I used to use .loc files until I found a better way.

I have an Etrex Vista C and I use the garmin mapsource software to load waypoints from a pocket query. A dumbed-down version of this sofware was included with my garmin when I bought it. It was called "Trip and Waypoint Manager". I think (but I am not certain) that this sofware can load .gpx files into your garmin. You will want to check that out by starting the sofware and then choosing "file->open" from the menu. Check over the list of possible file types that are listed to make sure that .gpx is on the list.

I am using a variation of the mapsource software for street mapping called "City Select North America" (which I highly recommend, $140) that has a somewhat different version of the mapsource software. This software can load the .gpx files. This software enables me to drive to caches without having to refer to maps. I just let the garmin "autoroute" feature find me the quickest way to drive to the cache and it gives me turn by turn insturctions. This is a really great feature.

Once you have the mapsource software loaded on your PC (either the dumbed-down version or the city select version), just generate .gpx files from geocaching.com using the pocket query system (geocaching.com --> "My Account" --> "Build pocket queries" --> "Create new query"). I set mine to run once a week and email me a .zip file with the waypoints in it. Unzip the file that geocaching sends you, and then load the .gpx file into your garmin with the mapsource software and your USB cable. No need for GPSbabel or the other programs and you can load up to 500 caches in one shot. I would only load about 475, though, so you have room to mark your own waypoints (such as "car").