Off Track

bill303fishing

I had just went to my first hunt and noted that the GPS showed me off by some 344 feet, after using the hints I found the cache. The data location at the cache was correct on the site so how do I find out what I did wrong? I calibrated the compass in a good location (Garmin Rino 130 is the gps) - the first time I went out this past month the snow was too deep but the gps brought me to the correct spot so that was how I re-traced my initial visit and found the cache. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bill303fishing

wbarker1@maine.rr.com

A few random thoughts:

When you went back the second time, how long was the GPS turned on before you got to the spot? My experience is that the longer my unit is on, the more accurate it becomes.

Was the weather signficantly different from one visit to the next? I haven't noticed much difference under cloud cover with my Legend or my 76cs, but other have said that they do note differences.

Were the coords entered by hand or automatically--and--did you just use the same coords from before, or reenter them for the second trip? Could there have been an error in the numbers either time?

Were you "hovering over" your GPS? Holding it too close to you body will block some of the signal. Did you approach from the same direction both times?

And finally, the most obvious--Have other cachers mentioned in their logs that the coords were "off" on the cache?

A few random thoughts:

When you went back the second time, how long was the GPS turned on before you got to the spot? My experience is that the longer my unit is on, the more accurate it becomes.

Was the weather signficantly different from one visit to the next? I haven't noticed much difference under cloud cover with my Legend or my 76cs, but other have said that they do note differences.

Were the coords entered by hand or automatically--and--did you just use the same coords from before, or reenter them for the second trip? Could there have been an error in the numbers either time?

Were you "hovering over" your GPS? Holding it too close to you body will block some of the signal. Did you approach from the same direction both times?

And finally, the most obvious--Have other cachers mentioned in their logs that the coords were "off" on the cache?

When arriving for the second search I had the GPS on from start after departing my vehicle, reset the compas and then went to waypoint and hit navigate. The weather on both days were sunny with no clouds, I hold the unit just in front close enough to see but not to close as to block view. The coords were downloaded from site and using "easyGPS". One thing I have noticed was that the coords on the printed page from Geocache site did not match the coords when I looked at the Locate page on the GPS - it was off but not much. My thought was the 3D showed 70 foot accuraracy and with the differing coords that could have been the problem but I did not change anything from the first visit - I guess I am stumped but will try another this week and see what occurs with that one. I did not notice any logs from others stating problems with coords. I appreciate your help.

... The coords were downloaded from site and using "easyGPS". One thing I have noticed was that the coords on the printed page from Geocache site did not match the coords when I looked at the Locate page on the GPS - it was off but not much. ...

One problem that happens is that Easy GPS can use DDD.DDDDD but not translate that into DDD MM.MMM when it sends the info to your GPS. Thus the GPS doesn't get the info it's expecting and the coords are off.

I've had this problem in the past when I didn't use the EasyGPS you can download from Grounspeak. When you get it from Terragraphix directly you have to adjust a setting.

That's my guess, you have to adjust a setting.

Edited by Renegade Knight

... The coords were downloaded from site and using "easyGPS". One thing I have noticed was that the coords on the printed page from Geocache site did not match the coords when I looked at the Locate page on the GPS - it was off but not much. ...

One problem that happens is that Easy GPS can use DDD.DDDDD but not translate that into DDD MM.MMM when it sends the info to your GPS. Thus the GPS doesn't get the info it's expecting and the coords are off.

I've had this problem in the past when I didn't use the EasyGPS you can download from Grounspeak. When you get it from Terragraphix directly you have to adjust a setting.

I am sure you are correct, I went to the EasyGPS on my desktop and will need to change the preferences.

Thank you very much!

I am sure you are correct, I went to the EasyGPS on my desktop and will need to change the preferences.

Thank you very much!

I'm going to disagree here. It's very possible and probably that this is the case, but I've got a different experience with our Rinos.

I've got a Rino 530 and recently wiped all the waypoints and downloaded a group of them from the site's LOC file using EasyGPS. The first cache that our group went to was one that I had already done, so I knew exactly where it was, but my GPSr told me it was 1.53 miles to the west from where we found it. The other 7 waypoints that I loaded in the batch were right on...it was just the one that was off. On the previous visit, the waypoint loaded from EasyGPS was right on and I found the cache within about 4 feet of where my GPSr told me it was.

My wife also has a Rino 530, and I use the radio to send her the next waypoints; hers said we were 1.53 miles off as well. That tells me that the waypoint was loaded into the GPSr with the wrong coordinates.

I didn't think about it at the time, but I should have checked the LOC file versus the loaded waypoint to see if there was a difference there or not.

--Aaron

Thank you very much!

I'm going to disagree here. It's very possible and probably that this is the case, but I've got a different experience with our Rinos.

I've got a Rino 530 and recently wiped all the waypoints and downloaded a group of them from the site's LOC file using EasyGPS. The first cache that our group went to was one that I had already done, so I knew exactly where it was, but my GPSr told me it was 1.53 miles to the west from where we found it. The other 7 waypoints that I loaded in the batch were right on...it was just the one that was off. On the previous visit, the waypoint loaded from EasyGPS was right on and I found the cache within about 4 feet of where my GPSr told me it was.

My wife also has a Rino 530, and I use the radio to send her the next waypoints; hers said we were 1.53 miles off as well. That tells me that the waypoint was loaded into the GPSr with the wrong coordinates.

I didn't think about it at the time, but I should have checked the LOC file versus the loaded waypoint to see if there was a difference there or not.

--Aaron

Do you think it is in the transfer of data? When checking the coords did you just look at the chache front page and compare to the downloaded data in your rino?

Do you think it is in the transfer of data? When checking the coords did you just look at the chache front page and compare to the downloaded data in your rino?

I haven't had a chance to do any research since the problem wasn't apparent until we were on the trail. From memory, the plot in EasyGPS looked correct, so I suspect that it was EasyGPS that is the culprit. Don't quote me on that, though.

I have to do some maintenance tonight on my Rino, so I'll make sure to note the coords on the page, in the LOC file, in EasyGPS, on the EasyGPS map, and on the Rino.

I'll keep everyone informed.

Aaron

I haven't had a chance to do any research since the problem wasn't apparent until we were on the trail. From memory, the plot in EasyGPS looked correct, so I suspect that it was EasyGPS that is the culprit. Don't quote me on that, though.

I have to do some maintenance tonight on my Rino, so I'll make sure to note the coords on the page, in the LOC file, in EasyGPS, on the EasyGPS map, and on the Rino.

I'll keep everyone informed.

Aaron

Well, test failed. ;)

I did a system reset on my 530 and reloaded my waypoints; everything matched all around. I did it four or five times with the same accurate results. I'll keep trying to recreate the problem.

Just my luck.

Aaron