Geocoins And Wooden Coins?

Bama Cache

Will someone please explain geocoins and wooden coins to me? How do you get them? If you find them, do you get to keep them if you trade for them? What can you trade for them?

I'm just overall confused.

Thanks

Geocoins are like travel bugs, someone "owns" them and may or may not put them in caches. If found in a cache they should be moved around from cache to cache, they are not meant to be kept. Some people do buy coins and do trade them but not by putting them in caches but instead through private party discussions. Wooden coins are more like personal cache items; they are left in caches and can be traded out tho as a cahce owner I like to collect them from my caches and keep them.

Well they should be exchanged, not just taken, they are like any other swag you might find in a cache but this is a personal sig item froma a geocacher left there to exchange for something else. But be careful, some sig items are trackable and if they say so should be treated as a travel bug and moved from cache to cache.

I just started doing this last month but I feel that if you take a coin that you should leave a coin. I don't feel that they are the same as travel bugs. To me travel bugs could be taken without leaving something as the whole point of travel bugs is to go from place to place. Wooden nickles are completely different though. You can trade anything for them. I don't think a lot of people would agree with the way I think though. Especially about the geo-coins. :lol:

I just started doing this last month but I feel that if you take a coin that you should leave a coin. I don't feel that they are the same as travel bugs. To me travel bugs could be taken without leaving something as the whole point of travel bugs is to go from place to place. Wooden nickles are completely different though. You can trade anything for them. I don't think a lot of people would agree with the way I think though. Especially about the geo-coins. :lol:

Trackable geocoins are the same as travel bugs. They work in exactly the same way. The only difference is you usually don't attach an item to the coin like you do the travel bug tag. Both a travel bug and a trackable coin have a tracking number and work exactly the same way.

No trades are necessary for either, but you can't keep either of them.

No, as long as your not a hog about it you can take a coin without leaving anything to trade, just as long as you place it in another cache. Wooden coins can be taken, ah traded, you should never just take things out of a cache without a trade of some type, except TB's.

Will someone please explain geocoins and wooden coins to me? How do you get them? If you find them, do you get to keep them if you trade for them? What can you trade for them?

I'm just overall confused.

Thanks

Geocoins are like travel bugs, someone "owns" them and may or may not put them in caches. If found in a cache they should be moved around from cache to cache, they are not meant to be kept. Some people do buy coins and do trade them but not by putting them in caches but instead through private party discussions. Wooden coins are more like personal cache items; they are left in caches and can be traded out tho as a cahce owner I like to collect them from my caches and keep them.

Of course every now and then you might just find an unactivated coin in a cache, if you are unsure look up who left it and ask them especially if you've checked the trackign code and it comes up not found! And before anyone says that people don't leave unactivated coins in caches, my family left 3 of them while on vacation in St. Louis and plan to leave more when our pocket books can afford to!