How Do I Put Maps On My Gps?

StfRon

OK, I've looked at forums and faqs, and I'm unable to locate the info I need. I just bought a used eTrex Venture of eBay, and am unsure how to put the maps on it. I've seen the Mapsource CD, is this the only way? Or is it possible to download maps from the web and install them? Thanks in advance!

It is possible to download and install maps from the web but it is far from easy. To put maps on the gpsr you're going to need maps. Maps such as Garmin Worldmap (a slightly more detailed version of the basemap), Gamin Topo, Garmin Topo National Parks, and Garmin City Select/Navigator are all map options. I don't think you should go all out on City Select or Navigator but picking up the US Topo wouldn't be bad. Once you have it you install it and it'll appear as an option in map source. Then you can just send the map to your Venture via the data cord.

OK, I've looked at forums and faqs, and I'm unable to locate the info I need. I just bought a used eTrex Venture of eBay, and am unsure how to put the maps on it. I've seen the Mapsource CD, is this the only way? Or is it possible to download maps from the web and install them? Thanks in advance!

The Venture only has 1 Meg memory, so the only thing you can load is POIs, not maps. Maybe somebody else here knows a workaround, but 1 Meg won't hold much if it's even possible.

The Venture cannot load maps - just POIs.

From Garmin's Venture page:

The memory capacity of one megabyte allows the eTrex Venture to accept downloaded information from Garmin's MapSource® Points of Interest CD-ROM. The CD enables users to download locations such as restaurants, hotels, shopping, and entertainment. Once the information is loaded into the unit, you can make a selection and telephone and address information for a particular point of interest will appear on the screen. The CD also includes marine data such as lights, buoys, wrecks and obstructions. The eTrex Venture comes housed in a stylish, translucent green case.

Probably an e-trex legend (not the C model). It has 8mb of memory for mapping. This isn't much memory by today's standards, but in Mapsource TOPO it will hold about 1/3 of my state (Utah), which is probably way, way, more than you need for any week og outdoor anventure. However, in city mapping 8 mb is really just a tease...

it all depends on what you are going to use your GPS for now and in the future. If all your going to do with it is just look at Points of Interest then stay with what you have. If you are going to eventually use for long trips or going hunting/fishing then spend the money and something with some memory in it. I have the Vista Cx with the SD Micro card and the cards come in all memory sizes up to 5121Mb. I bought the Vista for my girlfriend, it has 24Mb of memory, but all she is going to do with it is hunt occasionally. I will be the one doing the scouting and such and once the trip has been planned out on my GPS I can up load it to hers. I got her that Vista so that she can load whatever Topo map area we will be in.

Save some money....Keep your Venture, learn to use it with paper maps and a compass(very, very easy) and kick some serious geocaching butt! Your paper maps can be way, way more accurate than nearly all maps you can buy to put on your GPS (there are a couple of seriously limited map sets available that are 1:24,000 scale, but for most people, they are worthless)

If you will spend an afternoon learning to use your Venture, a compass and a paper map together, you will be, navigationally speaking, "superior" to about 99% of everyone that ever leaves sight of their vehicle!

I teach GPS navigation, have used, and sold GPS units for 8 years now, and guess what? I don't use, (and won't use) a mapping unit! (Unless I am city navigating, then I won't ever NOT use it!)

verdejt, he was asking about the cheapist unit that will hold maps, this would not be the Vista CX.

IF the OP has the Garmin map software the least expensive mapping unit would be the old E trex legend.

If the OP does not have the Garmin software, a better GPS would be the Magellan Explorist 210.

It has more memory than the Legend, Explorist 22mb Legend 8mb, the 210 also uses a USB cable the Garmin uses the old Serial cable which some new computers do not have ports for. THe 210 has a better reciever than the legend. THe Magellan Tpop 3D software incules all street names the Garmin does not, unless it has been changed.

Right now there is a rebate on the Explorist 210 that will bring it to within a few dollars of the old Legend.

Save some money....Keep your Venture, learn to use it with paper maps and a compass(very, very easy) and kick some serious geocaching butt! Your paper maps can be way, way more accurate than nearly all maps you can buy to put on your GPS (there are a couple of seriously limited map sets available that are 1:24,000 scale, but for most people, they are worthless)

If you will spend an afternoon learning to use your Venture, a compass and a paper map together, you will be, navigationally speaking, "superior" to about 99% of everyone that ever leaves sight of their vehicle!

I teach GPS navigation, have used, and sold GPS units for 8 years now, and guess what? I don't use, (and won't use) a mapping unit! (Unless I am city navigating, then I won't ever NOT use it!)

Excellent advice. Keep the Venture until you have a legitimate need to upgrade. Upgrading for it's own sake will benefit you nothing.

I have used an garmin etrex vista with topo maps. I tried using maps when I first started geocaching about 3 years ago. I never use the GPS maps now. If needed, I will print a hardcopy from NGS topo. Most times I just get driving directions, then adventure out on the walking part. Also learned to use (and carry) compass general map of area.

I would suggest selling your Venture, and getting yourself an Etrex Legend. There's one for sale here on this forum for $80 delivered to your door. I worked with forestry, and have used GPS receivers AND hard copy maps and compass for years. And yes, you should know how to use a map and compass. However, the convenience of having maps on your GPS is hard to disregard. If you happen to be out for a walk or a drive, and a geocache pops up on your screen, who's to say you will have a map for it on hand at the moment. If you have a mapping GPS you can tell if that cache is on the other side of a pond, or river. Can't beat that.