Strange Problem Decrypting Hints From Cache Pages

HaLiJuSaPa

My PC's (HP Pavilion 541c) hard drive and power supply died and I got a different computer instead, a refurbished Compaq S3040Se directly from HP/Compaq.

It works fine but I have a very strange Internet Explorer problem that relates to the site.

If I click to decrypt a hint on a cache page, instead of doing that, it opens another browser window. The window shows the geocaching.com page with nothing on the page except the word "decrypt".

Has anyone ever seen this before? If so, please suggest a solution. I have done several virus and spyware checks so I don't think it is that, though maybe it is the after-effects of past virus/spyware (I did have some when I first setup this computer because I made the stupid mistake of having my DSL modem on before I setup my firewall and anti-virus program). Thanks!

My PC's (HP Pavilion 541c) hard drive and power supply died and I got a different computer instead, a refurbished Compaq S3040Se directly from HP/Compaq.

It works fine but I have a very strange Internet Explorer problem that relates to the site.

If I click to decrypt a hint on a cache page, instead of doing that, it opens another browser window. The window shows the geocaching.com page with nothing on the page except the word "decrypt".

Has anyone ever seen this before? If so, please suggest a solution. I have done several virus and spyware checks so I don't think it is that, though maybe it is the after-effects of past virus/spyware (I did have some when I first setup this computer because I made the stupid mistake of having my DSL modem on before I setup my firewall and anti-virus program). Thanks!

1) download Firefox

2) make Firefox your default browser

3) never use IE again

4) check for something along the lines of 'open new links in new browser window' or something like that in the prefs, and make sure it isn't checked....

your browser may be thinking that when you click on 'decrypt' you are going to another page and it's 'helpfully' opening a new browser window for you, when it should just redirect you....

HTH

M

1) download Firefox

3) never use IE again

4) check for something along the lines of 'open new links in new browser window' or something like that in the prefs, and make sure it isn't checked....

your browser may be thinking that when you click on 'decrypt' you are going to another page and it's 'helpfully' opening a new browser window for you, when it should just redirect you....

HTH

M

I will probably do Firefox anyway, but I think I found the solution, it's really odd. This computer came with Norton Anti-Virus 2003. If I remove it and replace with the anti-virus software on my old PC (AVG Free Edition), it works fine. I know from experience that Norton Anti-Virus goofs a lot of things up and slows up a lot of systems, so I only use it if it comes with the computer I have, but I got rid of it anyway. Thanks for the tip though.

1) download Firefox

3) never use IE again

[sigh...] Note to self, hurry up and publish all controlled sites with the anti-firefox code.

Edited by Adrenalynn