Was This Really Necessary?

Harry Dolphin

The south side of the bridge is a spur crossing, and in bad shape, but was it really necessary to put this huge chunk of concrete over the benchmark?!? I can see the disk, but I cannot take a picture of the face, with the marking. No points for the dolphin on this one. Unless I go back with my credit-card camers. Hmmm....

KV1222

Having read the prior recovery descriptions, yeah, sounds like it was necessary. "AND IT APPEARS THAT THE DISK HAS BEEN VANDALIZED IN THE PAST. SEVERAL UNSUCCESSFUL ATTEMPTS HAVE BEEN MADE TO PRY THE DISK OUT, BUT IT IS STILL INTACT."

Seems to me they probably didn't want any "successful attempts to pry the disk out", no?

IMHO, optical methods are best, but here's something really low tech- can you put something soft, like clay, on the end of a big stick, then roll it over the mark, picking up an impression? I can even envision coating it with mold release, then dumping some 2-part silicone rubber on it. When cured, poke it off with a stick and drag it out.

I'm leaniant. You have a picture of the disk, obviously not face-on. It's where it's described to be. I'd call it a find, in poor condition since you couldn't put a tripod over it.

A 2.5 ton car jack on each side and a length of steel cable could probably pick it up enough to get a head on shot. Sounds like too much work to be worth the trouble.