Changes In The Pocket Query Pages

budd-rdc

Just noticed this now, a cosmetic change in the PQ pages, and a new link, "Copy Pocket Query." I tried it, and it creates a new PQ with a name "Copy of <original name>."

I have a feature request - can there be a link provided back to the PQ page after doing a preview? In short, I'd like to see a [back to PQ] in addition to [edit] [gallery] and [New Search].

Thanks for the changes, by the way.

When you mean [back to pq] you mean back to the Pocket Query default page?

We're going to adjust the copy feature to zero out all the days they run so you can pick it after the copy is made. That's just in case you want to keep it from running until you can edit the parameters.

I have a feature request - can there be a link provided back to the PQ page after doing a preview? In short, I'd like to see a [back to PQ] in addition to [edit] [gallery] and [New Search].

I echo the request for adding a link back to the PQ page... and I too really appreciate the addition of the "copy" feature (as well as the cosmetic changes). Thanks!

I have one additional request - Would it be possible to configure the page so that I could sort my PQ's either by "Last Generated (PST)" (i.e., the current default mode) OR by "Name" by simply clicking on the columen header, and possibly even reverst the order by clicking on the same column again? Not sure if this is a nightmare from a database and/or web mamangement perspective, but would really appreciate it... I tend to have several PQs that I lonly run occasionally (i.e., have them configured as "Uncheck the day of the week after the query runs") and selecting them would be much easier with the addition of this feature.

Are there any plans to add import/export of PQ settings so that we can share them? It would be a great help when assisting newb's.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but if you copy the link to a PQ, anyone (except you) who opens that link gets a duplicate of your query. That's sharing.

The function has always been there.

Jamie

Not sure if this is what you mean, but if you copy the link to a PQ, anyone (except you) who opens that link gets a duplicate of your query.

Nope. I would like to be able to export the settings (cache type, placed during, etc.) so that another user can set up the query as their own and receive the GPX files.

Nope. I would like to be able to export the settings (cache type, placed during, etc.) so that another user can set up the query as their own and receive the GPX files.

Unless I'm misunderstanding still, that's exactly what the existing feature does.

Example. I just created this query called PDOP's test and selected some random criteria. Here's the link. Open it up. Can you not set that up as your own and receive .gpx files?

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquery.a...1f-af75a71582e1

Jamie

Unless I'm misunderstanding still, that's exactly what the existing feature does.

Example. I just created this query called PDOP's test and selected some random criteria. Here's the link. Open it up. Can you not set that up as your own and receive .gpx files?

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquery.a...1f-af75a71582e1

Jamie

You are correct and I'm very happy ^_^ Thanks for pointing this feature out (and your patience :laughing: )

You are correct and I'm very happy ^_^ Thanks for pointing this feature out (and your patience :laughing: )

It isn't a documented feature but it is intended to use this way. It even removes your email address if you have it sent to an alternate location. If you have any ideas where we could document this better please let me know. Thanks!

It isn't a documented feature but it is intended to use this way. It even removes your email address if you have it sent to an alternate location. If you have any ideas where we could document this better please let me know. Thanks!

People likely violate the TOU every day by e-mailing their pocket queries back and forth. The few times when I've been invited to do this with another user, I got nothing but funny looks when I said "no, I don't want to violate the rules, please just send me a link to your query and I will duplicate it."

IMHO you could increase compliance with your own TOU by explaining the two common LEGAL ways to share pocket query information. I recommend adding language to the Pocket Query Generator page, along the following lines:

My Pocket Queries

Pocket Queries are custom geocache queries you can have emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis. They are in a format you can bring along with you on cache hunts on your GPS and/or PDA. You can select a GPX or LOC text file and/or MobiPocket eBook format that works with supported software applications. Because of the detailed queries, each search can run only once per day. You have up to 5 pocket queries run every 24 hour period.

Using this service you agree to the terms of this license agreement. As stated in the license agreement, you may not share pocket query data directly with third parties. You can, however, e-mail another premium member with a link to any of your pocket queries, allowing them to construct a duplicate query. You can also create a shared bookmark list, and invite others to create pocket queries for the geocaches on that bookmark list.

A nice addition to the PQ features. Thanks!

How hard would it be to create a link on cache pages to create a new query using that cache as the center point?

So, for example, if I'm caching in a new area and find a cache in the general region, I could click on a link on that page and get a blank query except that the center point woud be filled in with that GC number.

Not that it's tremendously difficult to copy and paste the GC number, but it would save three clicks and page loads, one of them being hitting the database to load up the My Account page.