Need Suggestions

taralowry.com

I'm a letterboxer, and have been wanting to get into geocaching for a while. I really think that my dad would love it, too. His birthday is in a couple days, and I'm putting together a "getting started geocaching" gift. I've got the Idiot's Guide to Geocaching book, and a nifty little keychain with a compass. I was thinking of getting kind of a "geocaching toolbox" kinda thing, and want some ideas on what else to fill it with. I thought some trinkets would be good, but I don't know where to go with that. I'm trying not to spend a ton of money.

Does anyone have any suggestions for small, inexpensive, but useful geocaching odds & ends to fill the container with?

Thanks in advance!

Tara

Sounds like a neat idea for a birthday present. First I'd suggest a small backpack or fanny pack to carry the stuff, a small flashlight, and a walking stick (lots of forum topics on a good/inexpensive ones to get). Other ideas might be a small first aid kit, gloves, mirror, notebook and pencil, and batteries.

For trade trinkets/swag check out "Everything for $1.00" type stores - lots of good stuff there.

Sounds like a neat idea for a birthday present. First I'd suggest a small backpack or fanny pack to carry the stuff, a small flashlight, and a walking stick (lots of forum topics on a good/inexpensive ones to get). Other ideas might be a small first aid kit, gloves, mirror, notebook and pencil, and batteries.

For trade trinkets/swag check out "Everything for $1.00" type stores - lots of good stuff there.

Yep, a hiking stick was one of the best gifts I've received. I use it all the time.

Let me see if I can add to the list.

Hiking socks $8-10

Liner socks $3-4

Batteries (always need more)

hand warmers (you can get a bunch for a buck each)

Bug spray or swipes

Travel Bugs

Hat

water bottle

I'm a letterboxer, and have been wanting to get into geocaching for a while. I really think that my dad would love it, too. His birthday is in a couple days, and I'm putting together a "getting started geocaching" gift. I've got the Idiot's Guide to Geocaching book, and a nifty little keychain with a compass. I was thinking of getting kind of a "geocaching toolbox" kinda thing, and want some ideas on what else to fill it with. I thought some trinkets would be good, but I don't know where to go with that. I'm trying not to spend a ton of money.

Does anyone have any suggestions for small, inexpensive, but useful geocaching odds & ends to fill the container with?

Thanks in advance!

Tara

lmcgisme and BlueDeuce have a pretty good list there for you to start with. I like the idea of socks, and gloves, because you don't know what you'll run into out there.

Another think you may look into is a case and strap for your fathers GPSr, if he doesnt' have one already.

Extra set of car keys

Carbuckles *Thinks that's what they are called*

Cell phone

sunglasses

handy wipes

Snake bite kit

hankerchief

For swag, which can be found at any dollar store, or on sale a Walmart

Fancy (state) key chains

bouncy balls

Balsawood gliders

bag of marbles

Hotwheel cars

beaded braclets

hair clips

Billy Bob Teeth

Ink stamps

Novelty items

Signature Pen and pencil set (Saw them at the Dollar store for $2.00)

Stuffed/squeeky toys

Travel bugs

Geo Coins

"Where's George" Dollar bills

Any coin not made in the USA

Wooden nickles

The list goes on

Good luck with this. Sounds like a great gift. Maybe you can make a business selling "Geo Cache Baskets". Everything you need to start Geocaching. GPS Optional :blink:

the psychiatrist card sounds like a god idea... A snake bite kit would be neat.. I'm thinking of getting one myself as most around here are in the sticks a bit... the kits include: A complete, compact kit for the treatment of snake bite using the constrictor/suction method. Kit includes detailed instructions, three pliable suction cups, easy to use with one hand lymph constrictor, scalpel, and antiseptic swab. Measures only 2-1/4" (5.7cm) in length, weighs only 1 oz. (28g).

I found one on a camping site to read to see what they have, an dcopy an dpasted it. may not really be very helpful depending on what kinda snake and here the person has the bite....

Edited by wandat24