Depositing Geocoins

fox-and-the-hound

Now that our coins have come in, we're talking more about where to release coins. Do you only leave coins in caches that you feal are "worthy" or just anywhere? Once they're out there and you've lost control of their jumping do you still have a preference as to what caches they should go to? Do your mission statements reflect that? Just thinking out loud :blink:

I leave my personal geocoins and the TFTC! geocoins in caches that I really liked or enjoyed...since neither of them are trackable, where they go from there is something of a mystery...

I hope that at least some of the TFTC! geocoins keep moving around caches, as it asks on the geocoin itself to place the geocoin in a cache that you really like.

I like the idea of my personal geocoins ending up in collections as much as moving through caches, so that's a win:win situation as far as I'm concerned.

I have about 15 geocoins from my trading collection that are duplicates, that I will be putting into caches in my area in the coming weeks...with these ones, I will probably try to put them into caches that I like, that are a bit off of the beaten track.

Jamie - NFA

I leave our personal coins in caches that we really liked or ones that gave us a great experince (could be with a group, a REALLY good camo, etc.). For the most part, they are left in caches of the type we enjoy (i.e. 2+ mile hike).

For travelers (since ours are not trackable) - I'll leave them just a bit off the beaten path so there's a good chance they will move, but not be found by accident.

We will be doing a combination of different things with our Geocoins..

We will be activating some of them and placing them in cache's we highly enjoyed..

We will be leaving some unactivated coins in hard to get to caches (as an award for the next cacher)..

We will donate a couple to worthy causes..

We will trade some our for Personal Geocoin we do not have yet..

This is how we will be handling the Depositing of Our Personal Geocoins..

LM

I guess I'm not too picky, so far we left a micro coin at a zoo, figured who ever found it would be pleasantly surprised since it was a micro. Left one where we picked up a military coin. Left one where it was fairly obvious that it was in a community yard used by a family who set the cache. Left a Robin Hood one in a cache in the woods, I thought he might want to be back in the woods. Eh, I just like to hear about the cachers who found them so I guess I don't care too much where we leave them.

I leave my personal geocoins and the TFTC! geocoins in caches that I really liked or enjoyed...since neither of them are trackable, where they go from there is something of a mystery...

I hope that at least some of the TFTC! geocoins keep moving around caches, as it asks on the geocoin itself to place the geocoin in a cache that you really like.

I turned one of them into a traveller. :ph34r:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=185134

I've released 2 coins at events and have been considering releasing more that way. Then a large number of cachers get an equal chance at it and someone walks away with more than a regular TB to drop in a cache.

If we can leave a geocoin in a cache that is themed in some way that ties in with the coin, or is located in a place that ties in with it, we'll do that. An example is a Seven Summits coin with we left in a cache along CA 36 neat the summit of the pass, not far from the Trinity Alps. In some cases, a good cache that is low on either swag or visits will get a coin or a T-Bug; travelers tend to help get people out to caches that they've not gotten to yet. Finally, we won't leave someone else's coins or Bug in really awkward caches unless it really fits, but we have no problem with doing that to our own travelers. But we generally don't mind if our own travelers get "marooned" in out-of-the-way places. We've had Bugs sit for months and months in a cache.

I've only been collecting coins for six months or so, about as long as I have been caching. I was (and am) buying two of each coin (at least) and I expected to activate and place one of the pair and keep the other for trading or showing off or whatever.

But, as I started to receive coins and read the forums here, that there may be a lot of coins that go missing. Now, if I felt that my coin would travel and be enjoyed by lots of people as it traveled then I would not be so hesitant to drop it but, so far, I have not dropped many and those have been "generic" and of no trade value at all. I'll probably get over that and start dropping my traveling coins, I still have the other, non-activated, ones to enjoy in the privacy of my own home.

I do, however, carry all my travelling candidates with me when I cache. I suppose that if I found an exceptionally "worthy" cache (TBD on the definition of "worthy" :ph34r: ) I would drop one. I'm headed to the central California coast next week and plan on hitting several caches out there, perhaps some of my coins will end up there?

And, actually, I think I am more tempted to drop a TB or a coin far away from my local area. Kind of like putting my stamp on the trip?

Bill W

But we generally don't mind if our own travelers get "marooned" in out-of-the-way places.
Hear, hear! I don't mind my TB's sitting in a cache, I don't care for it when they sit on someone else's shelf for that long. For the same reason, I don't pick up travelers unless I figure to release them in two or three weeks.

Bill W

... I'm headed to the central California coast next week and plan on hitting several caches out there, perhaps some of my coins will end up there?

Sounds like a plan to me! That's where we live; well, Ventura County, but we think of ourselves as "Central California" :ph34r: You'll find a large number of cachers, from SLO to the San Fernando Valley, who love to grab Bugs and coins and move them around. Hope to see one or two of them :(

Sounds like a plan to me! That's where we live; well, Ventura County,

Not sure I'll get out your way ... I'm in Carmel/Monterey Wednesday through Sunday then up to Berkeley Monday and Tuesday. My Mom and Dad are in Carmel and my daughter and her husband are in Berkeley.

My Dad and I are planning a trip to the Lick Observatory on Mount Hamilton on Wednesday. I have a friend up there who will show us around. I do notice a few caches on the Mount Hamilton road and have them locked and loaded into my GPSr!

But, keeping On Topic, I am more positive toward dropping some coins simply because it's a long way from home. I've got a TB or two also that I might drop. That IS why we have them, isn't it? But maybe it's like sending your kids off to school, bittersweet at best.

Bill W

Sounds like you'll be in our neck of the woods - the Geocachers of the Bay Area (www.thegba.net).

You'll be happy to know that we are generally a coin-friendly group up here. We've produced a number of coins and the majority of folks up here and good honest coin/tb movers.

Enjoy your time, drop your "kids" and know that we will treat them well.

Feel free to come to our local boards if you want other caching suggestions as well.

I've only been collecting coins for six months or so, about as long as I have been caching. I was (and am) buying two of each coin (at least) and I expected to activate and place one of the pair and keep the other for trading or showing off or whatever.

But, as I started to receive coins and read the forums here, that there may be a lot of coins that go missing. Now, if I felt that my coin would travel and be enjoyed by lots of people as it traveled then I would not be so hesitant to drop it but, so far, I have not dropped many and those have been "generic" and of no trade value at all. I'll probably get over that and start dropping my traveling coins, I still have the other, non-activated, ones to enjoy in the privacy of my own home.

I do, however, carry all my travelling candidates with me when I cache. I suppose that if I found an exceptionally "worthy" cache (TBD on the definition of "worthy" :ph34r: ) I would drop one. I'm headed to the central California coast next week and plan on hitting several caches out there, perhaps some of my coins will end up there?

And, actually, I think I am more tempted to drop a TB or a coin far away from my local area. Kind of like putting my stamp on the trip?

Bill W

The way I look at it is if you like finding coins in caches and ejoy getting to log them then in turn you should set some free or one day there will be no coins in caches at all just binders full of coins that would be lame, you will loose some coins but the joy you spreed to others who find them is worth the loss of a few coins. Also drilling holes and attaching a note to them helps.

or one day there will be no coins in caches at all just binders full of coins that would be lame
Agreed!

Coin binders are cool to show off but, so far, I have also very much enjoyed the TB's journeys that I have let loose.

My favorite is one (a soapstone dolphin) that I released with the goal to visit Key West and it went quickly from Connecticut to Florida .. but then some friendly soul moved it from Florida to Michigan! But the journey is the thing so it will be interesting to see if it gets back down to Florida any time soon.

But I get the impression that coins don't travel so well. I might guess that it's easy to drop them into a pocket and forget about them.