The Lock And Key.

sundialman

I have an idea for geocoins that I am putting into circulation. I will release one that has a combination lock attached to it (by a hole) along with a travel bug tag. I am hoping people will take pictures of the coin and lock on its journey. For the best picture I will release the geocoin to the taker and transfer ownership and the combination of the geocoin to that geocacher. I have another idea to connect a coin to a keylock in one location and drop the key as a travel bug in one place and the geocoin in another and see if they connect. I hope to drop them on the east and west coast more or less. I haven't worked out the details but there will be a "First to unlock" prize with photo proof of the released geocoin. :wub:

I thought about the hole thing, I could also do it with a more valuable travel bug I suppose. I was thinking that the journey would be the motivation more than the coin. It also could be recycled with the lock. (There is a way to change the combination once it is opened). I appreciate your comments.

I've found them pretty cheap at a local coin / card shop, what I use is a baseball card case 2.5"x3.5", put a piece of craft foam in it with a hole cut out the shape / size of the coin, that way it can be seen from both sides and there is room above or below the coin for a sticker with "mission" info on it. glue it shut and drop it in a cache. I got the idea from a post here, forget which topic...