Time In A Capsule

Time in a Capsule

Just came across this site this morning - anyone thought about doing this? What a great idea to save something for posterity - a geocache for the generations!

The only thing I can see wrong with this, is that they buried the 'Time Capsules'. Check the Geocachings rules, and you'll see that buried caches are not allowed. Now if they just hid them, and placed the cords in here, that would be perfect.

So long as they were not near any other cache.

Check the Geocaching rules. You'll see what I mean.

Great idea though. But GPS are not dead on. People would be digging holes everywhere.

I've often wondered about the potential for geocaches to become archaeological objects in the future.

Most caches will, over time, either be updated, replaced, archived, adopted, etc., but there are bound to be a few that slip through the system, and become lost/abandoned over the years. If the container is a good one (ammo boxes spring to mind) and the cache is well placed, it could last for a couple hundred years, and be discovered down the line.

Imagine the swag being poured over by some archaeologist, searching for indications of the culture "back when"! :blink:

I've heard of this before. It does annoy me when people slap the word cache into their concept when it goes against some of the basic tenets of the geocaching community. We have enough issues without some poorly misguided concept of burying treasured memories in the great outdoors for future generations to find (or not).

I've heard of this before. It does annoy me when people slap the word cache into their concept when it goes against some of the basic tenets of the geocaching community.

Did the word "cache" suddenly come to mean geocache? Cache is a generic reference.

Actually, my sarcasmeter just pegged, I think.