60csx Software

I'm looking at buying a 60CSx to use for geocaching and hiking in Alaska and Olympic NP this summer. I plan to get a 1GB SanDisk to load topo maps. What topo maps do you suggest? Garmin's TOPO 24K or National Geographic's TOPO.

Also, it looks like City Navigator V8 is coming out soon. Should I wait for it or get V7 now and gamble on getting a free upgrade?

Thanks.

MapSource imposes a limit of 2,025 map segments into any given unit. Although selecting all of the available segments in Topo East only takes up 658MB, it contains over 2,500 map segments. 2,025 segments takes up 480MB of memory, so if you want to go with all Topo, then you'd do well to just get a 512MB card - and you'd still have room for custom POIs and writing the active tracklog to the card.

On the other hand, you're showing interest in the City Navigator software. If you upload maps from both Topo and Navigator products, then memory will be more of an issue rather than the number of map segments.

Be advised that you CANNOT load Nat Geo maps INTO your GPSr! You can only transfer waypoints, tracks and routes using map products other than Garmin's MapSource! In other words, if you want to load maps into your GPSr, you're pretty much stuck with Garmin's MapSource maps.

Edited by Neo_Geo

MapSource imposes a limit of 2,025 map segments into any given unit. Although selecting all of the available segments in Topo East only takes up 658MB, it contains over 2,500 map segments. 2,025 segments takes up 480MB of memory, so if you want to go with all Topo, then you'd do well to just get a 512MB card - and you'd still have room for custom POIs and writing the active tracklog to the card.

On the other hand, you're showing interest in the City Navigator software. If you upload maps from both Topo and Navigator products, then memory will be more of an issue rather than the number of map segments.

Be advised that you CANNOT load Nat Geo maps INTO your GPSr! You can only transfer waypoints, tracks and routes using map products other than Garmin's MapSource! In other words, if you want to load maps into your GPSr, you're pretty much stuck with Garmin's MapSource maps.

Thanks for giving me a persepective on the space map segments and. This kind of information is very hard to find.

I was confused about Nat Geo maps. I had heard Garmin pretty much forces you to buy their maps but Nat Geo lists the 60CSx as capatible. They just wern't specific to what part was capatible.

Have you heard anything about City Navigator V8 coming out soon? I thought I saw a post it will be released by June, but I can't find it.

Thanks again...

If you are going to spend a LOT of your time hiking in the national parks, then the 24K series of maps are excellent. But once you leave the parks, you have no topo maps.

I use the standard Topo software because I'd rather have the whole country than just the national parks.

I'm upgrading to the 60CSx from a Magellen 315 so using cards is all new. Will I swap out the 512 or 1G card when I want to use the 24K info or can I transfer it to the SanDsik?

If you are going to spend a LOT of your time hiking in the national parks, then the 24K series of maps are excellent. But once you leave the parks, you have no topo maps.

I use the standard Topo software because I'd rather have the whole country than just the national parks.

I'm upgrading to the 60CSx from a Magellen 315 so using cards is all new. Will I swap out the 512 or 1G card when I want to use the 24K info or can I transfer it to the SanDsik?

If you haven't loaded too much onto the 1GB card by all means go ahead and load whatever National Park data you can onto the same card. If you are like most of us and have maxed out your primary card, a secondary, probably smaller card would do nicely when you're in the National Park area.

I think that if I was going to regularly use the NP data, I'd opt for putting it on my primary card to begin with. It's easy enough to toggle between CS/CN, topo, and NP data.

If you haven't loaded too much onto the 1GB card by all means go ahead and load whatever National Park data you can onto the same card. If you are like most of us and have maxed out your primary card, a secondary, probably smaller card would do nicely when you're in the National Park area.

I think that if I was going to regularly use the NP data, I'd opt for putting it on my primary card to begin with. It's easy enough to toggle between CS/CN, topo, and NP data.

OK, I didn't realize you could toggle between types of maps.

Thanks