Legend Cx Or 60 Cx

out12

OK, I'm really close to upgrading from my B&W legend. I would like to have color, autorouting and improved reception in the woods. Already have Mapsource Topo, and am satisfied with my Legend, so I want to stick with Garmin. Originally, I was looking at the Legend cx, but since the prices of the 60 cx's have dropped I'm considering spending the money. A couple questions. I remember seeing a picture posted in these forums of a 60 and an etrex side by side to compare size, but I can't find it now. Does anyone have a picture like that they could post. Also, how realistic is the battery life Garmin shows for these. They show the Legend cx at 32 hrs. and the 60 cx at 18. I will be using rechargables, so what are people getting out of batteries in these units.

No pictures ... but how about a Vista Cx? All the features and size of a Legend, but adds in the electronic compass and some other nice features from the 60Cx,

Watch as you move up however since the new units require new Mapsource for auto-routing (City Select or City Navigator).

Here's a picture of an eTrex Legend next to a 60C. I really don't worry too much about battery life as I use NiMH rechargeables in mine. I use my backlight a lot too. When power is indicated as being low, I just swap 'em out. I suppose if you have your unit set on battery saver mode with no backlight operation, you might be able to squeeze out 16 to 18 hours out of a set of alkalines.

The photo shows that the 60C may not appear too much larger than the Legend, but I will say that the Legend would fit in my pants pocket. It'd make a big bulge, but I could put it there. The 60 - if I took it out of its case, I might be able to get it in there, but I'd be walkin' funny and it'd be very uncomfortable.

749728cf-bd18-4061-821f-2ff5d77b592d.jpg

OK, I'm really close to upgrading from my B&W legend. I would like to have color, autorouting and improved reception in the woods. Already have Mapsource Topo, and am satisfied with my Legend, so I want to stick with Garmin. Originally, I was looking at the Legend cx, but since the prices of the 60 cx's have dropped I'm considering spending the money. A couple questions. I remember seeing a picture posted in these forums of a 60 and an etrex side by side to compare size, but I can't find it now. Does anyone have a picture like that they could post. Also, how realistic is the battery life Garmin shows for these. They show the Legend cx at 32 hrs. and the 60 cx at 18. I will be using rechargables, so what are people getting out of batteries in these units.

I have a 60C, 60CSx, and a legend C......sometimes while fishing and stuff I like the size of the Legend C better. I just slip it over my next and almost forget it is there. With either of my 60 series I like the larger screen. So it is a trade off.

My 60C, CSx, and legend all get a lot of time out of my rechargeable batteries. To me battery life is not an issue as I always carry extras.

here are the pics......I didn't clean the screen

sidebyside.JPG

sidebyside2.JPG

Edited by birddog14

I just went thru the same ordeal. I have the Legend B/W, and was wanting the color screen. and improved reception.

Just got my new 60csx yesterday, and I don't regret spending the extra $$$ one bit!

Awesome unit, and the reception/accuracy this thing has compared to my Legend is incredible.

Couldn't barely get a signal at all in my house & office with the Legend, but when I turned on the 60 the first time,(in my house) I got full lock on about 8-9 birds.

I do like the small size of the Legend, but having the color screen is so much better.

Edited by ILBandit

I have actually put a 60csx in my pocket a few times. It fits in my BDU (military camo) pants without a big bulge. Granted, I normally fit two way radios in my pockets without a problem.

I love the reception of the 60csx, so amazing. The screen is just the right size in my opinion. We have Rino 120 GPSrs as well and those screens are definitely harder to read (they're B&W and a bit smaller).

I jus received my new 60 CSx yesterday, having upgraded from a Legend Cx. I am blown away by the 60 CSx, it finds sat's quickly and holds lock. I did a cold start inside my lower level garage, inside of my Durango, and had sat lock on 8 sat's in less than a minute! The legend cx had trouble holding lock just inside the durango driving down the road! Both are great units, but I will cast my vote for the 60 CSx...but thats just my opinion..

Thanks for the responses. I'm not too concerned with fitting it in my pocket, though I often wear BDU style pants and I could put it in the cargo pocket. I just wanted something to compare the two side by side. Thought about the Vista, but don't think I need the compass or the altimeter. I know I need the street software, and was looking at getting the unit with the auto nav kit. I can get the 60 cx w/autonav kit for under $500 at GPS Discount. As far as battery life, I was just curious if Garmin's specs were realistic with the two unit.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not too concerned with fitting it in my pocket, though I often wear BDU style pants and I could put it in the cargo pocket. I just wanted something to compare the two side by side. Thought about the Vista, but don't think I need the compass or the altimeter. I know I need the street software, and was looking at getting the unit with the auto nav kit. I can get the 60 cx w/autonav kit for under $500 at GPS Discount. As far as battery life, I was just curious if Garmin's specs were realistic with the two unit.

Hi,

I got my cx with autonav kit at gpsdiscount. great place. I use NIMH's, and get roughly 14-18 hours of use. I use minimal backlight (i use the unit a lot when I bike at night, and wear a LED headlamp which works fine), and most days it is easy to read (unless it's rainy/overcast). I always carry a spare set of batt's with me anyway. When I'm in my car, or in my wife's van on long trips I plug it in (the carnav kit comes with a cig lighter adapter). I do use batteries when we take the family out caching just because I'm lazy.

I cache with a bud who has a legendcx. It is a very nice unit, but some of the complaints he has menitoned include

1. bit cumbersome to use while driving since the buttons are on the side
  2. under cover reception is ok, but compared to the 60cx, noticibly different
  3. screen is a bit hard to read while in the car

HTH!

just his notes. overall it is a sweet unit.