Geocaching And Geology/palentology

driven1

Lately, my wife and I have developed an interest in Fossil hunting. Here in Pennsylvania, there are a wealth of fossils from the Devonian and Carboniferous Periods of the Paleozoic era. These periods contain mainly plant and aquatic fossils because during those periods of time, a good chunk of PA had shallow lakes and swamps. Very near to our home are areas where the rock had been cut away from the side of hills for the installation of a main route and we've found many fossils from those periods there. It's amazing to hold a fossil in your hand of what was once was a living plant or animal from 400 to 200 Million years ago. The more we find the more interested we become. It's a whole lot like geocaching isn't it?

There are many areas throughout the United States and the World where fossil hunting is relatively easy.

I'm curious about how many of you actively fossil or mineral hunt while out Geocaching and if there are any great stories or finds (other than Geocaaches) associated with the combination of those activities.

If you've got a story, let's hear it! :)

Edited by driven1

look out for the earth caches as they will often fill this role well.

a couple of words of warning/caution. wear eye protection if using hammer. stone fragments are very painfull, you may look daft but you will look dafter blind in one eye.

where ever possible only hunt for fossils in rocks that have fallen from cliffs, ie don't add to erosion.

and a hard hat can be usefull, the rocks you are looking at fell from somewhere.... what's stopping the next one hitting your head? :)

half way through a earth science degree from home at the moment. so any fossils and minerals gladly accepted! :wub:

I am going to be hidding a cache in May close to where a found dinasaur tracks a few years back...

Its also near indian rock art.... So even though its a long walk, and accessiable 98% of the year should bring a few searches, for all three. Cache, Dinasaur footprints, and Indian Rock art...

Dave and Lil from Team_Talisman