Cheapest Gps?

Sonjaaa

Avoid anything that doesn't have a means of connecting to the computer. This is the one thing you will want if you don't want anything else.

That will rule out the Gecko 101, and the Explorist 100. Not sure about the Igo.

I have an IGo. Rules it out too pretty much. Technically there is a way to transfer waypoints, but it involves understanding NMEA codes and is kind of complicated. Otherwise, great unit for the low price (by the way, I see Sonja you are based in Toronto, Canada, I'm pretty sure most of the prices you're being quoted her are in US $$). Good luck and cache on!

What would be the cheapest GPS to just tell me the exact coordinates of a spot I'm standing. I don't want any mapping screens or special speed calculators or other features... just the basic coordinates needed for Geocaching.

Sonja

A few weeks ago we purchased a Garmin Geko 101 for $50 at a Radio Shack. Although it lacks many features (WAAS, maps, computer interface, 12 Volt Adaptor) it works well. We have used it to find 5 caches so far. We purchased it as an experiment to see if we liked geocaching. The experiment was a success. We love geocaching especially the virtual geocaches.

Hi Sonjaaa,

I got mine from eBay, a Magellan ColorTrak for 45$. It's fairly old and heavy but it was cheap and it works pretty well for an 8 year old GPS. I would recommend keeping an eye on eBay auctions, you just might score a good deal there.

Good luck! :unsure:

She doesn't need a computer connection. She said she only wanted something to tell her where she is. She can pick one up for 50 bucks canadian no problem on ebay. Sonja, be patient, and you will get yourself a good deal. I have bought many gps's on ebay. I've picked up etrex ventures for $50 including shipping (canadian dollars - i am in canada as well) .. i've picked up the yellow etrex for $41...an emap for $49 (had computer cable and data card for maps)....what you need can easily be gotten for $50 or less Canadian, including shipping.

What would be the cheapest GPS to just tell me the exact coordinates of a spot I'm standing. I don't want any mapping screens or special speed calculators or other features... just the basic coordinates needed for Geocaching.

Sonja

becareful .. I bought a Garmin ETrex Legend, for around $120 Was able to download way points. Then tried

the unit.. Lost Sat in any kind of cover, Accuracy was 10 feet with WAAS on. Standing on top of a cache, the unit told me I was 185 ft away. I am upgrading A.S.A.P. Cheap is not going to help you find caches very easy.

I have been geocaching with an eXplorist 100 I bought at a local big-box drug store for around CAD$100.

Basic functioning GPSr without the extras. Has worked great for me, with over 40 caches found with great accuracy. I have found the battery life to be very good. Recently, I did a caching day trip and got over 14 hours on one set of NIMH batteries.

Has no computer connection, but that's not an issue to me, as it is easy to enter coords manually.

All in all, I have been happy using my 100!

What mistake are they going to make and why are you quoting my posting along with your comment.

Are you a game player.

They asked for a cheap no whistles GPS.

The Explorist 100 is just that.

I think he was confused, the way I read it I think he thought you had one for sale, not that you just bought one for that much. At least, thats the way it comes across to me.

Dont worry Vic, your post was obvious, I knew what you were saying... but people do sometimes get confused.

Ebay can be your friend. I've bought three units for myself and ten for members of my wedding party through ebay. As long as you check the seller's feedback and remember to factor in shipping cost, you can find some really good deals.

I paid from $50 to $75 each for the yellow etrexes that I gave as gifts. If you are very lucky, you might be able to get one for less. Mine were all used but in great condition. Some even came with cases and pc cables.

Which brings us to a point that was touched on above. the yellow etrex, camo and summit do not typically come with the pc cable, while the other etrexes do. (The Gekos don't, either.) This is not a huge deal as you can pick up a pc cable very cheaply on ebay if yours didn't come with one.

I would suggest that you do not get the geko 101. While it may not be important for you to download waypoints right now, you may wish to do this in the future. If you go with a yellow etrex or a geko 201, you still will be able to pick up a GPSr very inexpensively. If you want to download waypoints later on, you can buy a cheap pc cable on ebay and you're all set.

Welcome to the hobby. It can be a ton of fun and needs not be too expensive.

Sonja

becareful .. I bought a Garmin ETrex Legend, for around $120 Was able to download way points. Then tried

the unit.. Lost Sat in any kind of cover, Accuracy was 10 feet with WAAS on. Standing on top of a cache, the unit told me I was 185 ft away. I am upgrading A.S.A.P. Cheap is not going to help you find caches very easy.

Thanks I've been thinking about buying the Garmen eTrex legend but now i don't think i'm going to!!!!!

Sonja

Thanks I've been thinking about buying the Garmen eTrex legend but now i don't think i'm going to!!!!!

I found my first 300 caches with a Garmin eTrex Legend. It was a beautiful unit for a beginner. I originally purchased one for my husband to use in his work (He is a truck driver) to route himself aroung wrecks or to find his way after getting bad directions. He loved his unit so much he bought me one too. We have upgrade since then, but not because we didn't like our Legends--we just wanted auto-routing too.

We kept our Legends and let guests who cache with us use them. Most of the guests we have taken caching with us like how easy they are to use, and decide to make a Legend their first unit also.

If a Legend gave a reading 185 feet off, the unit was likely not set correctly. Either the datum was switched somehow, or the wrong cords were entered in by hand. I have NEVER seen any Legend give a reading more than a couple of feet off any other gps.

Most units lose their satellite connection under cover. Some "fake" the connection by using the last known position and estimating your new position based on how fast you were traveling before you lost the signal. The Legend admits it lost the signal and all you have to do is find an area that is somewhat clear so it can find the signal again (YOu have to do that with the others, too). Holding the Legend flat in front of you, facing the sky so it can get a signal improves it's reception, and you can't hover over it. Garmin units with the newer "x" chips get signals indoors, I hear.

The Legend is inexpensive, durable, doesn't drown easily (I know, I took mine for a swim in a half-frozen creek!); it comes with the cable to attach to the computer for downloads, it doesn't eat batteries too quickly and uses AA or an adapter and recharagebles; it has good screen resolution, decent sized map, nice basemap, easy to use and easy to reach controls. It's very intuitive to use. I highly recommend it for a first unit.

Edited by Team Neos

Sonja

I found my first 300 caches with a Garmin eTrex Legend. It was a beautiful unit for a beginner. I originally purchased one for my husband to use in his work (He is a truck driver) to route himself aroung wrecks or to find his way after getting bad directions. He loved his unit so much he bought me one too. We have upgrade since then, but not because we didn't like our Legends--we just wanted auto-routing too.

We kept our Legends and let guests who cache with us use them. Most of the guests we have taken caching with us like how easy they are to use, and decide to make a Legend their first unit also.

If a Legend gave a reading 185 feet off, the unit was likely not set correctly. Either the datum was switched somehow, or the wrong cords were entered in by hand. I have NEVER seen any Legend give a reading more than a couple of feet off any other gps.

Most units lose their satellite connection under cover. Some "fake" the connection by using the last known position and estimating your new position based on how fast you were traveling before you lost the signal. The Legend admits it lost the signal and all you have to do is find an area that is somewhat clear so it can find the signal again (YOu have to do that with the others, too). Holding the Legend flat in front of you, facing the sky so it can get a signal improves it's reception, and you can't hover over it. Garmin units with the newer "x" chips get signals indoors, I hear.

The Legend is inexpensive, durable, doesn't drown easily (I know, I took mine for a swim in a half-frozen creek!); it comes with the cable to attach to the computer for downloads, it doesn't eat batteries too quickly and uses AA or an adapter and recharagebles; it has good screen resolution, decent sized map, nice basemap, easy to use and easy to reach controls. It's very intuitive to use. I highly recommend it for a first unit.

I also have the Legend and have never had a problem. Always accurate. I love it.