Hula Bum

GEO AUCTION FODDER As in #2

fodder

2 entries found for fodder.

To select an entry, click on it.

Main Entry: fod·der

Pronunciation: 'fä-d&r

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English fOdor; akin to Old High German fuotar food -- more at FOOD

1 : something fed to domestic animals; especially : coarse food for cattle, horses, or sheep

2 : inferior or readily available material used to supply a heavy demand <routine entertainment fodder> <fodder for tabloids>

- fodder transitive verb

JANKY

(adjective) inferior quality; held in low social regard; old and delapidated; refers almost exclusively to inanimate material objects, not to people.

We tried to pick up on these girls waiting for the bus, but I was holding a janky [ insert geocoin here] so we just got clowned instead.

Edited by PassingWind

While we're worrying about silly things, what should we call actual coins that are not round? We should find cool ways to denigrate them, and feel clever also. We should also come up with a tricky/insulting name for mugs that people use for soup (that's just wrong!!!).

I envy people with nothing more significant to worry about...

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

Why would you think a coin is round to begin with? Just because american coins are circular doesn't mean the rest of circulated coins are or have ever been. I've seen octagonal coins from a number of different places and some asian coins are shaped like a washer. Some coinage from the past was carved from shells and other natural elements into various shapes or symbols. It didn't make them any less coins.

dolphincoin.jpg

These coins were minted around 5th century BC so my advice is to get over it. Coins had odd shapes long before they were circular. :)

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Well, I was going to suggest calling them NFA coins but decided to let sleeping trolls lie. :)

Strangely, my NFA personal geocoins are round discs (and the TFTC! geocoins), but I also like the geocoins that are different shapes.

Jamie - NFa

Why would you think a coin is round to begin with? Just because american coins are circular doesn't mean the rest of circulated coins are or have ever been. I've seen octagonal coins from a number of different places and some asian coins are shaped like a washer. Some coinage from the past was carved from shells and other natural elements into various shapes or symbols. It didn't make them any less coins.

dolphincoin.jpg

These coins were minted around 5th century BC so my advice is to get over it. Coins had odd shapes long before they were circular. :)

Offer some evidence that these were ever referred to as coins :lol:

Currency perhaps. Coins? Unlikely.

I've been wrong before.

Offer some evidence that these were ever referred to as coins :)

I've been wrong before.

It seems a bit silly to argue over semantics, but a quick look in the dictionary gives a second definition of coin as "Metal currency, collectively." The pictured items apparently were currency and are metal, so technically I guess that they could be called coins (even though they don't fit the typical image of coins). I bet that the work coin didn's exist until thousands of years after the items in question were made.

JANKY

(adjective) inferior quality; held in low social regard; old and delapidated; refers almost exclusively to inanimate material objects, not to people.

We tried to pick up on these girls waiting for the bus, but I was holding a janky [ insert geocoin here] so we just got clowned instead.

You must have been holding a Jan or Feb S-----l Geocoin. :)

Offer some evidence that these were ever referred to as coins :)

I've been wrong before.

Well since these came from a coin forum for professional coin collectors, it would seem rather likely. Check out some of the others at

www.forumancientcoins.com/ Coins/08413p00.jpg

And just to clarify since you're asking for proof :)

"Coin. The word coin comes originally from the Latin word cuneus, meaning "wedge". The term came to apply to the wedge-shaped die that made these small pieces of money. Later, the word coin was applied to the stamped image on the money, but eventually referred to the money itself. "

So apparently coins were never intended to be round at all, they just evolved. :lol:

All depends where u look for your def., the first thing that pops up for me is "disc shaped".

Thanks for being a party pooper though NFA, this was actually just supposed to be fun and silly and see how clever people could be.

Edit-to the rest of the posts, I'm enjoying your cleverness!

Edited by Hula Bum

No matter the shape of the 'coin', you're looking for a new or different name.

Why not call them 'Geocache' coins?

It may just be a play of words but the geocoins do have a face value to some people, as seen on Ebay.

So 'Geocache' coins could be the new 'norm'. They represent Gecaching.com, they are of some value, and they are a coin that can be traded, sold or kept, no matter what shape, size or color, they'll allways be called coins.

"Geocache coins. Look for them in your next found cache." :)

Thanks for being a party pooper though NFA, this was actually just supposed to be fun and silly and see how clever people could be.

sorry to poop on your "fun"...it seemed to me to be one more in a long line of whining threads about the way geocoins used to be...continue being clever and having fun...I'll mind my own business now. :)

Jamie - NFA

Coinanother

The Wedding CoinAnother old Irish wedding tradition is for the Groom to give his Bride a coin after they exchange rings, as a symbol of prosperity. This custom originated back when the Groom would pay money to the Bride's family to bring them good fortune and joy.

A modern interpretation of this custom is for the Bride and Groom to exchange coins. They say if the coins touch each other during the exchange, the Bride and Groom will be blessed with many children.

COINANOTHER

One of the 7 Lucky charms.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1