New To This - Search Along Interstates

aocabrown

I'm traveling from Memphis to Orlando via SUV for vacation. Wanted to find a few caches not too far off the beaten path. I know this sort of defeats the purpose of going on an 'adventure' but I thought it would be fun to find a few things along the way.

My question is, using the geocaching site(s), what is the best method to search for hidden caches along a highway such as I-10 in Florida or HWY 78 E in MS or AL?

The short answer, because I am not technical, is that it is not very easy. They are working on something to get that functionality implemented, but it is not built in to teh geocaching.com website.

There are ways to use GSAK to kinda do what you want, but that is so far above my level that I won't even try to answer that - someone else with brains will have to cover it.

Edited by New England n00b

The short answer, because I am not technical, is that it is not very easy. They are working on something to get that functionality implemented, but it is not built in to teh geocaching.com website.

There are ways to use GSAK to kinda do what you want, but that is so far above my level that I won't even try to answer that - someone else with brains will have to cover it.

aocabrown, have you heard of GSAK? If so, do you use it? If not, you should if for no other reason than this vacation you want to take.

I, and probably many others, would be happy to help you.

I'm so glad I saw this topic. Help Help. I picked up a travel bug that must be dropped in WV. I'm currently in NC and will be traveling up 19 to I79 and on into PA. Can anyone help me find a cache that is along or very close to the highway? The TB tag says it's part of a poker run race. I will be traveling Friday Morning 4/28/06.

To serch along a route.....

Download a number of pocket queries based on zip codes along your route. Get 300 or so caches for each zip code - don't worry about the fact that they overlap. Save all the pocket queries in one folder. Open GSAK and open the entire folder of caches. I think last time I did it I just dragged the folder onto the GSAK icon and then when it started up I checked the box to load a folder of queries. The caches will all load in and the overlapping caches will not be duplicated. Now you will end up with a ton of caches in your database. Don't worry.

Open Mapsource and create your route and save it somewhere that you can find it easily. Then use File, Export and export it as a .mps file. Go back to GSAK and Click on Search and then on Filter. Click on the Arc/Poly tab. Tick the spot for filter type to make it arc/line and then set the distance to something like .5 or 1.5 miles. Select Load From File and point it to the .mps file you exported (your mapsource route). Apply the filter and it will select ONLY the caches that are within your set distance from the road you will be traveling.

Edited by Thrak

Download a number of pocket queries based on zip codes along your route. Get 300 or so caches for each zip code - don't worry about the fact that they overlap. Save all the pocket queries in one folder. Open GSAK and open the entire folder of caches. I think last time I did it I just dragged the folder onto the GSAK icon and then when it started up I checked the box to load a folder of queries. The caches will all load in and the overlapping caches will not be duplicated. Now you will end up with a ton of caches in your database. Don't worry.

Open Mapsource and create your route and save it somewhere that you can find it easily. Then use File, Export and export it as a .mps file. Go back to GSAK and Click on Search and then on Filter. Click on the Arc/Poly tab. Tick the spot for filter type to make it arc/line and then set the distance to something like .5 or 1.5 miles. Select Load From File and point it to the .mps file you exported (your mapsource route). Apply the filter and it will select ONLY the caches that are within your set distance from the road you will be traveling.

Yup. Found this to be real easy using my Mapsource and GSAK.

Thrak is right on the mark with his suggestion. This works with other mapping software such as MS S&T where you can create and save a route.

Note that if you have a route that you travel regularly -- the trek to the in-lwas or whatever -- you cancreate the route once and use it over and over again to filter new cache listings.

It sounds a bit complicated at first, but it's actually quite quick and easy and well worth the time to learn how to to do it.