What Would You Do For A Geocache

I am sure a lot of us have done some strange, dumb, crazy, or just plain hilarious things to get to a cache. I have climbed the side of a mountain in the dark with the wrong coordinates for a FTF, climbed 30 feet up a tree for a find, driven my Subaru Impreza down jeep trails, and other fun stuff but I went off the deep end for "Who pulled the plug?" (GCHQGB)

So what have you done for a cache?

I am sure a lot of us have done some strange, dumb, crazy, or just plain hilarious things to get to a cache. I have climbed the side of a mountain in the dark with the wrong coordinates for a FTF, climbed 30 feet up a tree for a find, driven my Subaru Impreza down jeep trails, and other fun stuff but I went off the deep end for "Who pulled the plug?" (GCHQGB)

Isn't this just par for the course for someone from Starkers, Maine? :shocked:

dave

I recently made probably one of the best decisions I have ever made while gecocaching when I decided not to go for a FTF downtown. I noticed the cache was posted at 9:45pm. The caches was about 9 miles away in the city. I hadn't been to that particular area in about 2 years, but I knew there was a bridge over a gorge with waterfalls, and it was where I expected the cache to be. About 10pm I decided to go for the FTF. I got my GPS gear together and got ready to go out the door and then reality struck me. It was 10pm at night, I was driving 20 minutes downtown to look for a micro cache on a bridge over a river, and my car currently had a leaky fuel line that I was going to have fixed in the morning. I went back inside, closed the door, and about 30 seconds later it started raining. I think I made the right choice.

Nothing as radical as you guys! But I did wind up chest-deep in a drainage ditch with knee deep muck in the middle of a marsh restoration project. Cache called "Bridge Almost Too Far" and I never saw a bridge. Nothing but tall marsh grasses and brambles. Thought I'd just step over this little stream and before you can blink, I'm in it. The smell alone could have killed. Sun's going down, I'm thinking hypothermia, if I get out. Holding the GPSr high, I'm grasping onto cattails thinking" spread out your weight, don't get more mired" as I give another mighty pull on my stuck legs. Face down in the soup and straining, I'm literally grasping at straws, utterly alone. "This is how they'll find me, spent and frozen, unless the coyotes get here first." Well, I got out and found the cache, then got lost because the GPSr got wet and useless. (I even marked the starting point when I began, so I could get back.) For what seemed like a lot longer than it probably was, I was in survival mode. When I got home all smiles, my wife just shook her head.

Check out the log and these photos from a rather nutty local cacher attempting a rather intense local cache.

Next time you go caching and know water will be involved try this trick I learned from my stepson. Save several empty, rinsed out, recapped milk jugs. Tie them to handle bars, the seat, where ever you can that's out of your way to still be able to ride. Experiment with the jugs and bike to find out how many the bike needs to make it bouyant. Now, should you lose your footing or litereally get in over you head, your bike will not sink or worse, drag you under. :laughing:

Next time you go caching and know water will be involved try this trick I learned from my stepson. Save several empty, rinsed out, recapped milk jugs. Tie them to handle bars, the seat, where ever you can that's out of your way to still be able to ride. Experiment with the jugs and bike to find out how many the bike needs to make it bouyant. Now, should you lose your footing or litereally get in over you head, your bike will not sink or worse, drag you under. :D

So much for not drawing attention to oneself!!! :blink::huh::D

The mental image I get of the bicycle with all those milk jugs tied on is too funny!! Thanks for the laugh

I took my canoe out Saturday in a fairly severe storm to bag a FTF on a cache. There were wind gusts in the area of over 50 mph and the lake had whitecaps. The rain was practically horizontal and coming down in sheets. Luckily the island was a short paddle from shore because I was going directly into the wind.

Returning with the wind at my back I swear I could have pulled a water skier I was going so fast.

Hey, the cache had gone 6 months without a find so someone had to do it.

Did anyone notice that he never lost his hat? At least his head won't get sunburned.

But that blue sunblock he's using has to go. *g*

Heck with sunburn - riding a mountain bike and rock climbing ?!!?!? I don't want chafing and callouses back there, and I SURE as heck wouldn't want rock rashed on the front side !!! That dude's got MAJOR confidence in his abilities.