Problems Witha Palm Iiixe Knockoff.

I had purchase what I thought was an official Palm IIIxe off Ebay for going paperless; it worked fine for a couple of sets of batteries ran through it. The next time I installed a new set of batteries in it, the unit would not turn on. Doing all the usually trouble shooting on it, making sure the batteries are good and in the correct position. I tried a resetting the unit with the reset button and still nothing.

After I looked at it closer it looks like this could be a copy of a palm unit since there is no serial number or company label on the back of the unit, and I did not get any software for it. Did I get screwed on this? Or does any one have any ideals about the knock out versions of the palm IIIxe units.

Can it be fixed or should I just throw it away and take it as a lesson learned.

Edited by fireman121

Don't know about your problem, but you may have a reconditioned Palm, I got a VIIx a year ago from www.ebuyer.com which doesn't have a serial number where you would normally find one on the back - it's a reconditioned model, came in a plain box with cradle and an unlabeled software CD. Ebuyer are currently selling IIIxe for £26, bit expensive expect you've get one on ebay for £10

I had purchase what I thought was an official Palm IIIxe off Ebay for going paperless; it worked fine for a couple of sets of batteries ran through it. The next time I installed a new set of batteries in it, the unit would not turn on. Doing all the usually trouble shooting on it, making sure the batteries are good and in the correct position. I tried a resetting the unit with the reset button and still nothing.

After I looked at it closer it looks like this could be a copy of a palm unit since there is no serial number or company label on the back of the unit, and I did not get any software for it. Did I get screwed on this? Or does any one have any ideals about the knock out versions of the palm IIIxe units.

Can it be fixed or should I just throw it away and take it as a lesson learned.

The only "knock out" version I can imagine it being is a TRG PRO. It is basically a Palm IIIxe but also supports CompactFlash cards and has a much improved speaker. I have two of them and they've been very reliable.

Given the cheap price of this age/model of Palm, I'd just buy another used one.

Personally, I'd opt for the TRG PRO (instead of a IIIxe) because you can backup the Palm's data onto the card. If the batteries die you will lose all your data, but then you can easily restore everyone from the CF card.

GeoBC