Pda

Sterby44

I am finally looking to go paperless and am interested in getting my first PDA. I will probably get a used one off of ebay since I cannot afford a new one. I Probably will only use the PDA for geocaching so it dosn't have to be anything fancy.

I just wanted to know what anyone had to recommend that would help me get started?

I understand that there are 2 formats PPC and Palm. What are the disadvantages and advantages of each?

What PDAs would you recommend for geocaching that would make it simple to go paperless?

Thanks sterby44 :)

Edited by Sterby44

my suggestion... get something inexpensive that seems to be easy to still find or that you wouldn't lose your info if you had to upgrade...

as far as costs go, I don't think you can beat the older Palm PDAs. I know cachers using Palm III PDAs just fine. I use a Palm m500 with hardcase.

I recommend the m500 as well... it is pretty easy to find for under $50, allows for SD cards for extra memory. has pretty good battery life, also easily rebuilt from its hotsync backups if the battery goes dead, or you replace it with another unit. you can have a spare with exactly the same info very easily.

I've never tried it yet, but I have an older handspring visor (palm os). It's got 8megs, not expandable, and it's B&W. would that do? Would I want a color pda instead?

I love the idea of paperless, because I'm both a gadget freak and an environmental whacko.

(some say I'm just a freak and a whacko. :) )

I've never tried it yet, but I have an older handspring visor (palm os). It's got 8megs, not expandable, and it's B&W. would that do? Would I want a color pda instead?

I love the idea of paperless, because I'm both a gadget freak and an environmental whacko.

(some say I'm just a freak and a whacko. :) )

You bet that will work.

I don't think color is at all needed for caching. many color units can be more difficult to see outside without the backlight turned on (which drains the batteries pretty fast)

my suggestion of software is:

GSAK and CacheMate

We are doing a paperless training event this weekend, if I get handouts for stuff done I will try and remember to send you the files.

In addition to looking on eBay, if there are any Pawn shops in the area, you can actually see and hold the item before buying. I am an eBay shopaholic, but sometimes, you can't beat a Pawn Shop. You'll also have it by nightfall at the same price. :)

I've owned a Handspring Visor and they're great little PDA's. The other posters are right, color is just a perk that's not necessary in daylight conditions. A standard black and white LCD screen will be much more visible and save battery life. 8MB should be plenty of space for you to transfer cache data back and forth. I now own an HP Ipaq HX4705 pocket PC and it does a lot more, but at the time I purchased it I didn't know geocaching existed. Pocket PC's are nice for extra functionality, more colors and a windows-like environment, but if it's data on the go you want then a Palm OS-based unit will do fine. Just try and get something that has a flash card slot so you have expandable memory.

I am finally looking to go paperless and am interested in getting my first PDA. I will probably get a used one off of ebay since I cannot afford a new one. I Probably will only use the PDA for geocaching so it dosn't have to be anything fancy.

I just wanted to know what anyone had to recommend that would help me get started?

I understand that there are 2 formats PPC and Palm. What are the disadvantages and advantages of each?

What PDAs would you recommend for geocaching that would make it simple to go paperless?

Thanks sterby44 :P

What do the initials P-D-A mean? :huh:

How about ease of transfering .gpx files. I was reading something that said the Palm- OS had to be converted before transfering it, where as the PPC you can just drag and drop it in?

No disrespect to Smittyware, but CacheMate is much easier to use on a Palm OS device than on a Pocket PC. In GSAK you just select File>Export>CacheMate PDB file, and the next time you sync your Palm it's updated. The Pocket PC version, on the other hand, you need to transfer the GPX file to the device, then manually import them to CacheMate, then delete the GPX file. It's probably just my bias, but I like the way the data is presented on the Palm as well.

I have an Ipaq and a Handspring Visor. The Ipaq has 64 MB of memory and the Visor has 8 MB. The Ipaq is color and the Visor is B/W. Guess which on I prefer? Hands down the Visor. 8 MB will hold more cache data than I'll ever need, the B/W screen is much easier to read in bright sunlight, and if I bounce it in the field I'm only out about $12.

Also, the Ipaq has a hard to replace internal rechargeable battery, where the Visor uses standard AAA cells. The first time your batteries die in the field you'll know what I mean.

This is one case where the newest, fastest and shiniest device on the market isn't necessarily the best for the task.

How about ease of transfering .gpx files. I was reading something that said the Palm- OS had to be converted before transfering it, where as the PPC you can just drag and drop it in?

No disrespect to Smittyware, but CacheMate is much easier to use on a Palm OS device than on a Pocket PC. In GSAK you just select File>Export>CacheMate PDB file, and the next time you sync your Palm it's updated. The Pocket PC version, on the other hand, you need to transfer the GPX file to the device, then manually import them to CacheMate, then delete the GPX file. It's probably just my bias, but I like the way the data is presented on the Palm as well.

I have an Ipaq and a Handspring Visor. The Ipaq has 64 MB of memory and the Visor has 8 MB. The Ipaq is color and the Visor is B/W. Guess which on I prefer? Hands down the Visor. 8 MB will hold more cache data than I'll ever need, the B/W screen is much easier to read in bright sunlight, and if I bounce it in the field I'm only out about $12.

Also, the Ipaq has a hard to replace internal rechargeable battery, where the Visor uses standard AAA cells. The first time your batteries die in the field you'll know what I mean.

This is one case where the newest, fastest and shiniest device on the market isn't necessarily the best for the task.

So If i got something like the handspring visor or the palm III i would be able to download Cachmate to them?

So If i got something like the handspring visor or the palm III i would be able to download Cachmate to them?

I've used an old HandSpring with GSAK and Cachemate and it worked great for basic paperless caching. It's very easy to selct caches in GSAK and download the cache page info to the HandSpring running CacheMate. My HandSpring held at least 500 cache pages which was more than enough for me.

You bet that will work.

I don't think color is at all needed for caching. many color units can be more difficult to see outside without the backlight turned on (which drains the batteries pretty fast)

GSAK and CacheMate

We are doing a paperless training event this weekend, if I get handouts for stuff done I will try and remember to send you the files.

I've just purchased a Sony SL10 Clie'

I would like a copy of the handout as well.

Edited by smacktight

(some say I'm just a freak and a whacko. :huh: )

You bet that will work.

GSAK and CacheMate

If you could post the training material I would to read it or fax it to me ?

thanks for your help

Timk54

What do the initials P-D-A mean? :P

Personal Digital Assistant

handheld computer basically

Thanks "Sterby44" B) Not knowing what the initials meant, really bugged me :P I guessed the first 2 from time to time, but just could not think what the A was in the PDA...thanks for taking the time to put my mind at ease :huh:

I have a Palm Zire31 that I spent $50 for on CraigsList.

I am using CacheMate and Mapopolis on the PDA and GSAK on my PC. These 3 programs work very well together. I get about 10 pocket queries a week, and I have about 3000 caches stored on my PDA that are updated every week. My only complaint about the Zire31 is the screen brightness in the sun, but I have developed a functional work around to that annoyance. CacahMate has an option to search for closest caches that I use all the time, and you can also output one or all waypoints to Mapopolis. If you output all waypoints it does tend to slow Mapopolis down quite a bit, so I just do one at a time and then delete them from my address book once I find the cache.

Good luck,

John of jlfnjlf

(some say I'm just a freak and a whacko. ^_^ )

You bet that will work.

GSAK and CacheMate

Yeah, I would like a copy too.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all there help on this topic! After about 10 unsuccessful bids I was able to score a PALM IIIxe with 8mb in excellent condition :o for only 20 bucks on ebay! It even came with a leather case! I look forward to start paperless caching and probably will have many more questions once my Palm comes. Thanks again everybody! :mad: ~Sterby44

06_1.JPG

:P

OK so I have been looking on Ebay for a while and I have been seeing a lot of Palm 3's Which seem to be the cheapest.

Is the palm handsrping a better model/ newer?

What Palms offer me the expandability of a memory card, but are still cheap?

I'm not an expert on the different models/brands. But they are compatible and nearly identical in many ways. It's all about which model and features you want.

Actually, the people who invented the original palm later left that company and created the handspring. I don't know how that all works legally, but it's basically the same operating system running on different hardware. Kinda like running windows on either a dell or a gatewey PC...