Garmin Etrex Vista Would I Be Happy With It?

I have an "old" Vista with the optional MetroGuide software. It gets those lines and the screen does sometimes blank out. Then again I dropped it numerous times before I got smart and bought a cover to break the fall. I'm surprised it works at all!

I still have it, but mostly use my work's 60CS; let me tell you the map redrawing speed on the 60cs is phenomenal compared to the Vista.

I continue to recommend the Legend C as the best value in Garmin's handheld lineup with the Cx not too far behind for it's removable storage cards. The color screen, extended battery life, extra storage capacity, auto-routing (with optional software), and faster processor are all features you will appreciate down the road - for both caching and non-caching needs.

Edited by Chuy!

I agree with Blue Duece, I would do a little on line browsing before I spent that much on a used unit. I just ordered a GPSr for my son to take on his mountain bikng adventures, and happened to notice that Wally-World had dropped their prices on many of the garmin units. They have the Legend for 132 plus about 5 bucks shipping. One nice thing about buying from Wally is that you can easily return the unit if there is a problem or if you just don't like it. The only real difference between the Legend and the Vista is that the Vista has a compass/altimeter, something that I (personally) don't feel justifies the price difference. But thats just my opinion...Good Luck and welcome to the addiction!!!! :)

I can get one of these used for 125-130 shipped. I am brand new to Geocaching. How was this GPS for you guys before you moved on to a newer one?

I would really encourage you to step up to a Vista C the color screen is very easy to see in all light.

Of course price is one of the factors that I always consider first. It has to fit my budget. Form is the next factor I consider and the Vista C has a lot of features in a small package. Function is the other important feature. The Garmins are all great GPSrs I am sold on color but that depends on the Price factor.

Good luck

timk54

A better choice than the E-trex legend or the used Vista in the same price range would be the Magellan Exlorist 210

More memory thatn the Legend 22bm Vs 8mb

the 210 will do auto routing the Legend will not

The 210 has a USB interface, the Legend uses a serial port (Sme new computers do not have serial ports)

The 210 has a better reciever

The 210 has a system to save cache waypoinbts into seperate files that can reflect a general geographic location or a desired cache ratting.

THere is a rebate set to start on the 210 in a few days that will save $30.00, online this will bring the 210 to about the came price as the legend.

as far as the Vista, it is a good GPS, I used a freinds just a few days ago (Do not the the Magellenites I did this) You do not need a magnetic compass for geocachng or a barometer so why pay for them. another problem with the Vista, it is used, and it has no waranty. Maybe $50.00 would be a better price.

I also have an old version Vista. Personally I think it works fine. only after it was left in my hot truck for about a week did I start getting the lines and blanking problem, oddly enough if I slap it a couple of times and turn it off and back on it'll be fine. :) I do however prefer my 60CSx there's just somthing nice about having the ability to drop in 1 gig of memory for $50.

-PMaholm

I have a Vista and its a great unit. $130 can be a good price depending on how used it is, but I've heard of a few people finding the Legend C for $99 at Target. The C units are far better and they are being heavily discounted many places since the CX units came out. I'd see if I could find a good deal on a Legend C if I were you. It may be a bit more, but has better reception thant the old Vista, a color screen, autorouting and a USB connection.

I also have an old version Vista. Personally I think it works fine. only after it was left in my hot truck for about a week did I start getting the lines and blanking problem, oddly enough if I slap it a couple of times and turn it off and back on it'll be fine. :) I do however prefer my 60CSx there's just somthing nice about having the ability to drop in 1 gig of memory for $50.

-PMaholm

Amen. I have lines too on occasion but when I slap my Vista around the lines generally go away but hardly use the old Vista since I got the 60CSx.