The Bi-annual Best Cache Awards

Team Fido

Hey guys! I've been on the road for several days and haven't been able to keep tabs on the forums. I think it is a great idea for Garmin to be involved in the annual national event cache, and I'm quite happy for them to organise / arrange things and provide sponsorship. It would be great to see more involvement from the guys who provide us with the means to participate in this pastime.

Who is organizing this event cache now and when will it be held and where? Things seem to have changed since we went on our trip.

Some of us are employed, have not yet won the Lotto and so have to apply for leave timeously ie. +/- 3 months in advance.

Will somebody let us know what is happening as it would be sad to see a very good idea come to nothing.

Sorry, i'm not exactly sure what the criteria are. How many votes? Vote categories?

Can we monitor the process somehow?

Perhaps start another thread just for this voting subject and post updates every now and then? Results thus far?

Or is it supposed to remain a secret until the end?

Sorry, i'm not exactly sure what the criteria are. How many votes? Vote categories?

Can we monitor the process somehow?

Perhaps start another thread just for this voting subject and post updates every now and then? Results thus far?

Or is it supposed to remain a secret until the end?

What do you guys think? Should I post the results as of now?

What i think I'm going to do is give every cache that gets mentioned a vote... some people have listen a few. This is highly scientifically innacurate, but I dont really think it matters. We can discuss scientific methodologies for the second bi-annual award.

j.

Who is organizing this event cache now and when will it be held and where? Things seem to have changed since we went on our trip.

Some of us are employed, have not yet won the Lotto and so have to apply for leave timeously ie. +/- 3 months in advance.

Will somebody let us know what is happening as it would be sad to see a very good idea come to nothing.

So, What is the date of this event? :ph34r:

So what is happening!

I am keen to get together with a group of National Geocachers prizes or no prizes. Seems like Gariep is logical spot to be, with it being the near central spot in the country. There are currently 16 caches within 73 Km of this site (soon to be 18 :grin:) so plenty for people to do.

Let us know as soon as a date is decided on so we can book leave and dust off the hiking boots!

but, would the Trickies be willing to organise so far from home since not all of us will be able to make it down to CT. Still think the middle of the country (excluding Lesotho :( ) will be be the best place. I (F) am willing to help organise, should Team Fido not succeed.

tizz so sad to see this idea fizzel out. It started off with guns blazing and now it seems to have amounted to nthing. Sponsership or not what stops us of just getting together deciding on a date and have a meet we can see when people can make it and who is interested. Ideally over a long weekend (not sure if there is still one left) and we camp and cache and drink and braai and oh yes cache some more. :)

I reckon that we (the GC community) must just propose some dates for getting together at the Gariep dam, once the nominations are in, the original creator of the idea can post an event cache on that date.

I'll kick of by suggesting 24 September - on a long weekend - and I think in school holiday.

Since when do geocachers have to get great prizes? We're (probably) talking about the largest group of trinket hunters on the planet! :o

Edited by perdix

I think getting together as a community for an event cache is a fantastic idea. May I request that there be a lead time of between 3 - 6 months, as it isn't a casual trip out for most cachers.

August & Septrember too close to get full participation. October is semi OK. November & December is just silly season. January and February are a mad rush, paying for all the prezzie's we dont want, that is unless we all get a GPS.

How about easter next year. Really give us all something to look forward too.

I really can't wait !!!!

:)

Edited by Noddy