Group Cycle Caching In The Golden Horseshoe - Let's Plan!

Couparangus

Greetings all!

I would like to plan a group Geocaching cycling outing (or two) this summer. We did one last summer which I think I can safely say everyone enjoyed immensely. I think a meeting at a local pub would be a good idea for this. Let me know if you'd be interested in the planning portion, the cycling portion (or both). We could make it a day trip or an overnighter. I would also like to hear if we should take it more "off-road" and by that I mean mountain bikes on good trails instead of Olar's CCM single-speed (with the tassles on the ends of the handlebars). :laughing:

Let's get some ideas happening and see where we end up.

Cheers!

Coupar-DeVinci-Angus

...........I mean mountain bikes on good trails instead of Olar's CCM single-speed (with the tassles on the ends of the handlebars). :D

Cheers!

Coupar-DeVinci-Angus

Hey, you can laugh but those tassles are great for keeping mosquitos off of my knees. :)

You are right C-A, last year's cycle caching trip to Toronto Islands was great. I don't think there are enough new caches down that way to hit it again so we would have to come up with another hot spot.

I keep hearing about a bike trail along Lake Ontario running through the likes of Burlington, Oakville, etc. Does anyone have any details on it?

Cheers, Olar

Sounds good to me! I know there are a couple multi's by Nozzletime in Burlington along the Skyway that would be ideal to visit by bike:

GCJKQN - This side of the bridge

GCJKQP - That side of the bridge

And another by Group_W over in Waterloo:

GCNZ81 - Bike Rally Cache

I'm sure we can find many others.

If the destination is going to be mainly off road, we'll have to make Olar upgrade to one of these babies:

cdale_gem_dhfrmset_05_p.jpg

So, when are we gonna have this planning pub night?

TOMTEC

At the risk of giving Niagara a plug... here is a site that details many bike routes around the Region that I love

Niagara - A Variety of Bike Routes

Or you could just make is a full weekend... ride from NOTL to Fort Erie (following the Niagara Parkway through the Falls), over to Port Colbourne (on the Talbot Trail (Hwy#3)), back along the Welland Canal (following the Merritt Trail) to Port Dalhousie then back to NOTL (following the Wine Route of Lakeshore Rd).

:) The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar

At the risk of giving Niagara a plug... here is a site that details many bike routes around the Region that I love

Niagara - A Variety of Bike Routes

Or you could just make is a full weekend... ride from NOTL to Fort Erie (following the Niagara Parkway through the Falls), over to Port Colbourne (on the Talbot Trail (Hwy#3)), back along the Welland Canal (following the Merritt Trail) to Port Dalhousie then back to NOTL (following the Wine Route of Lakeshore Rd).

B) The Blue Quasar

Now there's a thought. We could start early on a Saturday, stay overnite at Flick's in Welland Saturday night, and finish off with Sunday dinner at The Blue Quasar family castle in St. Kitts. :huh::P

Olar

I keep hearing about a bike trail along Lake Ontario running through the likes of Burlington, Oakville, etc. Does anyone have any details on it?

that would be the Waterfront trail. Lots of caches along it in the Mississauga/Oakville area. I haven't been on it much west of there though.

The Islands route was nice in that we could arrange a circular route that brought us back to the vehicles at the end of the day. We'd have to arrange some sort of carpooling if we're going to finish the day 20km away from where we started.

In the city, the Humber and the Don trails are possibilities. Look at doing those starting from the north end, and working downhill towards the lake, then carpooling back uphill.

Further afield there's the Caledon Trailway, the Elora-Cateract trailway and a number of trails in the Hamilton area. all of these are former rail lines (no hills!) that have been converted to trails. The surface is usually fine gravel rather than pavement.

The Niagara trails are another possibility. I'd love to spend a couple of days cycling there, and I know there's plenty of caches in the area.

I'll have to see what I can dig up about cycle trails in the GTA, and caches near them.

I did the Don trails last spring as part of an Urban Adventure Race being held in the city, and really liked them. I would definetly love to go back; finding caches would just be an added bonus! It would be nice to see the trails properly as opposed to going through them AFAP (as fast as possible...?).

I did the Don trails last spring as part of an Urban Adventure Race being held in the city, and really liked them. I would definetly love to go back; finding caches would just be an added bonus! It would be nice to see the trails properly as opposed to going through them AFAP (as fast as possible...?).

Ah geez! You had to go and mention the AFAP thing. Now Tomtec will want to bring his sleek, supercharged 2 wheeler. We'll be eating his dust all day. :huh:

Good idea on the car-pooling Chris-Mouse. Returning by the same trail always seems a little boring and a more difficult ride than going out.

Cheers, Olar

Ah geez! You had to go and mention the AFAP thing. Now Tomtec will want to bring his sleek, supercharged 2 wheeler. We'll be eating his dust all day. :huh:

Ok Olar, just for you I'll do the whole ride on my unicycle...

180px-Unicycle.jpg

Don't mind the wardrobe though, it keeps the cars from hitting me.

Carpooling? I'm sure with a bit of thought we can create a descent route back to the car that will include a few more cache finds. If anyone is afraid of riding 20km, cycle caching may not be for you! Besides, try and fit 8 bikes on your car...

normal_img_2096.jpg

I can only fit one in mine... Maybe we could take the GO train back... that would add a few caches.

TOMTEC

I was going to post a crack about Tomtec's unicycle with references to Jackass The Movie, but he kinda beat me to it. :)

Thanks for the idea BQ. But I'd like to keep this ride off-the-road and stick to the bike trails. I'm a bit of a sidewalk sissy when it comes to cycling and have a keen respect for what I call Buick-inertia. I know there are some trails through the Short Hills 'cuz Tomtec and I rode them when we did our (failed) one-day assault on GHMCMC, but not sure if there's a circuitious all-day route in the area. As for GHMCMC, I still feel the shame in that, but thankfully a pint of ale cures this. :)

I've never done an overnight on my bike. I don't think my camping equipment, which is basically for a family of four, would fit on my bike. If you saw the way Dundee Princess packs the minivan when we go camping you'd think we were refugees fleeing with all our worldly possessions. Getting paniers for a full-susp bike is a bit of a challenge. Not sure how I'd strap down my acoustic guitar for those renditions of all our favourite campfire songs. :lol:

C-A

There are some good maps here of the trails in the GTA.

Toronto Trail Maps

If we do Toronto we'd have lots of options as to where to start and end the trip.

I'm certainly open to suggestions to hit other areas & also do an overnighter.

Shall we pick a place & time for a pubnite to discuss this one?

C-A

packaputlrgcollie.jpg

Um, Quark's is coming up on June 3 in Mississauga CA. Perhaps that would be as good a place as any to establish some initial discussions? We should also start co-ordinating possible date(s) for the bike ride event to see who's available when. July is a near write off for me due to the summer folk concert season on the weekends, and we've got that 24 Hour cache machine on August 12th. No, I'm not going to bike 42km on the 13th before you ask. After that event I'll be lucky to get through my front door at home on the first try.

Shall we pick a place & time for a pubnite to discuss this one?

The Frigate and Firkin is always available.

N43° 42.245 W79° 44.457

All we'd need to do is pick a time.

I ran a couple of PQs, and did some checking.

Starting from GCTE0V and heading downstream, we could go all the way to the lake, then dodge east and loop through High Park for a while. There's 17 caches along that route, including the ones in High Park.

There's plenty of parking available at both ends of the route, and it's almost entirely off-road trails.

On the other side of the city, starting from Sunnybrook park in the Eglington and Leslie area, we could pick off

GCVCQP (Ed the Stump) and 14 other caches on the way down to Riverdale park at Bayview and Gerrard.

Again, plenty of parking at both ends, and almost entirely off-road trails.

A good location for refueling the cyclists is something I'm not as familiar with. Suggestions anyone?

That's fine by me... Besides, June 3rd is a long time away! (who plans these pub nights anyhow? he he) Sometime midweek may be better as it won't interfere with anyones weekend caching schedule. Especially if it can be coordinated with a wing night etc... The sooner the better, as it's prime cycling weather out right now!

TOMTEC

My thoughts exactly. I was out on Saturday tearing up MonoCliffs already and the trail condistions were fine.

Okay, let's try and plan something midweek.

I always find myself suggesting something in Bolton (because I live here and also because we've had so many pubnites here). I guess if we can get an idea of who would like to take part we can choose a mutually convenient location.

So who is up for the planning?

Cheers!

C-A

Bolton is always good! :laughing: I nominate Bolton as the Geopub capital of Canada! What have we had, like 5 pub nights in town? 4 of which were at the Black Bull... Not to mention other unofficial meetings. I think we should get a discount on the next one!

TOMTEC

Okay, what days are good next week for all to meet at the Main Street Station in Bolton?

Mainstreet Stn apparently has excellent wings. They also have pleny of room and a patio. If its too packed there's the old standby across the street too. Unicycles may be parked out front on the sidewalk.

Okay, I have one open evening and it is Wednesday, May 10th. I get home from work at about 6PM and can be over at the restaurant shortly thereafter. The coordinates are N43 52.830 W79 44.363 for those not familiar with the GeoPub capital of Caledon. B)

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Yes, we're definitely meeting Wednesday evening. I may not be able to ride in as I'll be bringing my Ferrari (notebook that is, not the Italian sportscar that women swoon over). Tomtec is going to entertain us with some unicycle trick-riding on the bar & tables inside the restaurant. He'll be attempting a new trick modeled after The Cat in the Hat of Dr Suess fame.

Yes, we're definitely meeting Wednesday evening. I may not be able to ride in as I'll be bringing my Ferrari (notebook that is, not the Italian sportscar that women swoon over). Tomtec is going to entertain us with some unicycle trick-riding on the bar & tables inside the restaurant. He'll be attempting a new trick modeled after The Cat in the Hat of Dr Suess fame.

Do we have a time planned for this? I'm finished work in Mississauga at 5, but I've got to pick up Kitten on the Hunt in Georgetown so before 7 is going to be painful for me.

Ok, Looks like the Hamilton Rail Trail loop is the first choice, with the Don Valley as a second run for later in the year. I'll try to put together a GPX file of the route, and a list of caches along the way. All we need to do now is set a date.

I got the impression that sunday was the preferred day, although saturday would be acceptable as well.

So far, my weekends are pretty open. I'll be busy Jun 3rd, Jun 24/25, and Aug 12/13. I'd also suggest avoiding Jul 1/2 and Aug 5/6 as those are holiday weekends.

Post what days you're not available, and we'll pick through those and find a couple of days during the summer when we can all get together.

Thanks for everyone who came out last night - especially Chrismouse and his very excellent maps! The Hamilton route should offer something for everyone including beautiful views (yes there are some in Hamilton), LOTS of cache finds, good exercise and of course the cameraderie of like-minded individuals. Wait, I'm starting to sound like I'm in a business meeting with a customer. :anibad:

I do have a concern though and that is that many potential riders don't visit the forums here and won't be aware of what we're doing. Do you think we should create an event cache to end the day?

I'll post my /available days shortly.

An event cache would be an idea, but as it stands, I'm not sure it would be approved. We're only going to be at the start/finish area for a short time out of the entire day's activity, and the rest of the time we'll be moving.

One possibility would be to have a "refuelling" stop for the bicycle cachers at the end of the day. Does anyone feel like holding a pub night in the Mt. Albion area?

You provide the bike, and we'll provide lots of encouragement for working up a very good appetite <_<

I plotted out the trail route in Mapsend today, and got a bit over 30km for the total distance of the main loop. If we go clockwise around the loop, we'll be going downhill on the one "moderately steep" hill marked on the Hamilton trail map. Along the way, the route passes within 300 metres of the posted cordinates for 33 caches. For those who are interested, there's an additional 13 caches along the 4km Red Hill Creek trail as well.

I checked my schedule and I don't have any pressing engagements for weekends. All I ask is that I have 2 weeks notice so my Mrs can swap work shifts if need be.

What about you Olaf, Rogue-M, Tomtec, N-Peng, J-Trex (and anyone else interested of course).

Cheers!

C-A

Bump. C'mon y'all. Let's set date for the first ride!

Well, since nobody else has mentioned anything, how about I toss out a date and see who likes it.

Quark's is June 3rd, so how about we try for the weekend after that, Sunday June 11th.

Edited by chris-mouse