Wal-mart Bolting Down On Cachers?

When I started caching in January, the ONLY cache in my town was a lamp post micro. I remember how thrilled I was to find it. It was the start to my geocaching obsession! I agree with others & say if you don't like them, don't look for them! There is a nifty "ignore listing" option that will let you take them off your list.

Awesome! I've never quite heard that perspective before, thanks! Just kidding, obviously parking lot micro hatas don't look for them, and my ignore list, for one, works quite well.. Rarely however, does the conversation turn to the fact that virtually all parking lot micros are on private property without permission, and TPB at geocaching.com look the other way. You support this violation of private property, and people acting suspicously in public on said private property?

..... snip .....

That's a great idea. I'm going to load up on caulk the next time at Walmart doing a lampost skirt cache and then seal all the lamposts in every parking lot I go to. If every cacher would do one parking lot...

I broke my ankle geocaching and I was darn glad I had drive by micros to go after for 6 months. I had to cache on crutches or by wheelchair until I could walk. Drive by micros are a pain for many geocachers but to those who are handicapped, these drive by micros may permit them to cache. I got a real education and developed a different perspective when I got injured. This just goes to show one needs to be very careful assuming ones own perspective is the only perspective.

So the skirt is obviously a weather cover, at least I would think. This could be new type of Lamp post hide, 5 star terrain (special tools and equipment required). In this case, a Crescent wrench. If you want to make it really hard, make it so they need a metric Crescent wrench :rolleyes:

Aren't all crescent wrenches metric?

cres3.JPG

I always grab the Crescent/32ths

..... snip .....

That's a great idea. I'm going to load up on caulk the next time at Walmart doing a lampost skirt cache and then seal all the lamposts in every parking lot I go to. If every cacher would do one parking lot...

I broke my ankle geocaching and I was darn glad I had drive by micros to go after for 6 months. I had to cache on crutches or by wheelchair until I could walk. Drive by micros are a pain for many geocachers but to those who are handicapped, these drive by micros may permit them to cache. I got a real education and developed a different perspective when I got injured. This just goes to show one needs to be very careful assuming ones own perspective is the only perspective.

I don't believe that our mobility-impaired cachers should be relegated to parking lots and the backs of stores near the dumpsters. Plenty of 1/1 caches have been and can be placed that are in more worthwhile locations than what has been Spewed in so many metro areas.

I don't believe that our mobility-impaired cachers should be relegated to parking lots and the backs of stores near the dumpsters. Plenty of 1/1 caches have been and can be placed that are in more worthwhile locations than what has been Spewed in so many metro areas.

Hear, hear!

Here, I'll pull out Team 360's infamous, lame, guardrail cache:

4f7d857f-91c5-49ea-bb84-e96ecb6b8954.jpg

I've got a couple of easy caches in a local park. Granted, you can't reach them from your car window, but they aren't far, there's plenty to look at along the way, and plenty of park benches to stop and rest.

Quite frankly, if I were impaired I'd be offended PO'ed that folks think I should be relegated to parking lots and similar areas. What, I somehow deserve less?

Ummmm, new to this thread but if I may interject...

1. Variety is the spice of life, one cachers micro is another cachers addiction fix. I don't go out of my way to go after micros and as a general rule, I save those for when I don't really care to crawl around in a muddy pit in the middle of the woods.

2. Let's consider those less fortunate cachers who may be inhibited by disablilities, etc.

3. One of the greatest aspects about geocaching, for me, is the freedom of tailoring my caching habit to fit me. Correct me if I'm wrong here but should a parking lot micro cause you a kink in your neck, by all means do everyone a favor and click the ignore link... POOF!!! No more WallyMart Micro. Problem solved, all is well in the world.

hum drat,

In my opinon your statement is biased,

"don't believe that our mobility-impaired cachers should be relegated to parking lots and the backs of stores near the dumpsters. Plenty of 1/1 caches have been and can be placed that are in more worthwhile locations than what has been Spewed ™ in so many metro areas.

There are places a 1terrain/3-difficultycan be found by those you mention above....

Jeeze dont label this people that enjoy our sport(hobby)

..... snip .....

Nice to see my constant harping that almost all lamo parking lot micros are on private property without permission continues to go virtually ignored. Had I ever expressed the same concern in the forums about cemetery caches, I'd be hailed as a great visionary :shocked:

Yes, I agree as others have, if I ever became handicapped, either temporarily or permanently, I'd be offended if used as an "example" of why parking lot micros have any redeeming value whatsoever ;)

Ummmm, new to this thread but if I may interject...

1. Variety is the spice of life, one cachers micro is another cachers addiction fix. I don't go out of my way to go after micros and as a general rule, I save those for when I don't really care to crawl around in a muddy pit in the middle of the woods.

2. Let's consider those less fortunate cachers who may be inhibited by disablilities, etc.

3. One of the greatest aspects about geocaching, for me, is the freedom of tailoring my caching habit to fit me. Correct me if I'm wrong here but should a parking lot micro cause you a kink in your neck, by all means do everyone a favor and click the ignore link... POOF!!! No more WallyMart Micro. Problem solved, all is well in the world.

Thank you sir. You got it. To each his own. :shocked: My point was that there are different perspectives on drive by micros. I'm glad you were careful and noticed, I didn't say lamp post micros. I very deliberately wrote "drive by micros." I also didn't say handicapped cachers should only be offered nothing but lamp post micros either. I decried the proliferation of lamp post micros before I got injured. My former perspective was only one and I got a new perspective while temporalily handicapped. I'm now much more careful suggesting that any cache is worthless. I learned that I need to not be arrogant enough to presume my perspective is the only right one. While handicapped cachers should have choices for caches to hunt, I'm not ready to suggest they should not have lamp post micros to hunt. My contention is that they should have a choice and these are among their choices.

As for not getting permission to plant a cache on private property, every cacher is supposed to agree to gc.com's placement guidlines. Not complying is a personal integrity issue and an issue for gc.com if it is proven that no permission was obtained. I'll leave that issue for Jeremy. ;)

hum drat,

In my opinon your statement is biased,

"don't believe that our mobility-impaired cachers should be relegated to parking lots and the backs of stores near the dumpsters. Plenty of 1/1 caches have been and can be placed that are in more worthwhile locations than what has been Spewed ™ in so many metro areas.

There are places a 1terrain/3-difficultycan be found by those you mention above....

Jeeze dont label this people that enjoy our sport(hobby)

You just made my point. Folks have used "but what about the mobility impaired?" as their justification for placing hundreds of micros in un-worthwhile locations such as parking lot lampskirts, etc. There are plenty of more worthwhile locations where micros can be placed (such as posted in CR's post above) that are equally accessible to the mobility impaired.

My point is, and continues to be: It's time to stop Spewing Micros in places not worth visiting, just to help folks pump up their stats.

Again Off topic.

If you all want to discuss these things, get your own threads.

WhiteUrkel, I wouldn't need to lock this if yourself and others hadn't taken over with the same old micro dispute.

Since you all have grabbed on with a death grip, and obviously didn't pay attention to my statement that you were off topic, I now need to close my thread.

Thread Locked.