Wal-mart Bolting Down On Cachers?

We got ourselves a new Wal-mart here in South Central KY. I don't generally hide Wal-mart micros, but since we had a new one and all I considered it. When walking through the parking lot back to the truck, I came within convenient distance of a lamp post, and my natural cacher tendencies took over. I reached over and gave the lamp's metal skirt an upward tug. It was bolted down! I don't know if it's just a new design for lampposts, or if this is a specific feature to limit cachers?

I think it's the newness of the place that explains the bolts. All of those lamppost bases seem to have the hole in the cover and tapped hole in the base to allow 'em to be secured. Through carelessness or tampering the bolts eventually get lost and --voila!-- another home for a lame micro is born.

Could they be persuaded to weld them down? I'd help. :laughing:

We got ourselves a new Wal-mart here in South Central KY. I don't generally hide Wal-mart micros, but since we had a new one and all I considered it. When walking through the parking lot back to the truck, I came within convenient distance of a lamp post, and my natural cacher tendencies took over. I reached over and gave the lamp's metal skirt an upward tug. It was bolted down! I don't know if it's just a new design for lampposts, or if this is a specific feature to limit cachers?

Funny, my natural cacher tendencies would be to take a mile hike into the woods, and check out dead logs.

Funny, my natural cacher tendencies would be to take a mile hike into the woods, and check out dead logs.

Then you haven't seen some of my hides. :huh:

You did slip on your asbestos underwear before starting this thread, didn't you? Not that any flamage will come from here, of course :laughing:

Knowing Wal-Mart, I'm sure the new lamp posts are just a cheaper design than the old ones with the added geocaching features! :laughing:

I agree. It is likely that WalMart could care less about the design of the lamp post and its frock. They are probably chosen by the contractor by cost.

That's the best news I've heard all day. :)

I have also seen caches get archived because the property manager sealed the lamp post skirt with caulking. Why? not sure, but they did and sealed the 35mm film canister inside.

That's a great idea. I'm going to load up on caulk the next time at Walmart doing a lampost skirt cache and then seal all the lamposts in every parking lot I go to. If every cacher would do one parking lot...

I have also seen caches get archived because the property manager sealed the lamp post skirt with caulking. Why? not sure, but they did and sealed the 35mm film canister inside.

That's a great idea. I'm going to load up on caulk the next time at Walmart doing a lampost skirt cache and then seal all the lamposts in every parking lot I go to. If every cacher would do one parking lot...

That's cool. Maybe we can also get someone who doesn't like YOUR caches to just toss them into the nearest trashcan so YOU have to archive yours too! Hey, what a great way to play the game - instead of just ignoring caches you don't like, make sure no one ELSE can get them either!

Now that is one funny response. But in all seriousness, it just boils down to different manufacturers of lampposts and associtated hardware and styles. A close geocaching associate of mine went to Florida on vacation, and I asked him how many Wally World micros he did. He informed me that the lampposts were quite different from the ones we have here in New York. I imagine this presented quite the challenge :D

Also, I was thinking of hiding a parking lot micro as a joke for an upcoming event (the joke being I'm one of the most notorious parking lot micro hata's in the world). The lot I scoped out a couple of blocks from the event (for which I'd obtain permission from the property owner for the hide, unlike 99% of parking lot micros) had 1/2" thick square plates bolted together at the base, with no "cover" or "skirt" of any kind.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Knowing Wal-Mart, I'm sure the new lamp posts are just a cheaper design than the old ones with the added geocaching features! :)

I agree. It is likely that WalMart could care less about the design of the lamp post and its frock. They are probably chosen by the contractor by cost.

As an electrical contractor I can tell you this is true. Its all about the bottom Line. I havent seen this type of skirt that bolts down though. The ones weve installed are the standard clamshell type. And yes I've resisted the urge to put a cache under one :D

Edit - I just checked my lighting catalog thinking that the bolted down skirts may be a high wind issue but Kentucky isnt listed as a high wind category like for instance Florida is.

Edited by 5winters

Knowing Wal-Mart, I'm sure the new lamp posts are just a cheaper design than the old ones with the added geocaching features! :)

As an electrical contractor I can tell you this is true. Its all about the bottom Line. I havent seen this type of skirt that bolts down though. The ones weve installed are the standard clamshell type. And yes I've resisted the urge to put a cache under one :D

Edit - I just checked my lighting catalog thinking that the bolted down skirts may be a high wind issue but Kentucky isnt listed as a high wind category like for instance Florida is.

So the skirt is obviously a weather cover, at least I would think. This could be new type of Lamp post hide, 5 star terrain (special tools and equipment required). In this case, a Crescent wrench. If you want to make it really hard, make it so they need a metric Crescent wrench :blink:

So the skirt is obviously a weather cover, at least I would think. This could be new type of Lamp post hide, 5 star terrain (special tools and equipment required). In this case, a Crescent wrench. If you want to make it really hard, make it so they need a metric Crescent wrench :)

Aren't all crescent wrenches metric?

cres3.JPG

As an electrical contractor I can tell you this is true. Its all about the bottom Line. I havent seen this type of skirt that bolts down though. The ones weve installed are the standard clamshell type. And yes I've resisted the urge to put a cache under one :blink:

All the skirts I've installed, slip as well as clamshell, have two screw holes (and their opposite threading) on opposite sides allowing for tying them down. Whether you do it or not is optional. :D

That's cool. Maybe we can also get someone who doesn't like YOUR caches to just toss them into the nearest trashcan so YOU have to archive yours too! Hey, what a great way to play the game - instead of just ignoring caches you don't like, make sure no one ELSE can get them either!

Sorry, I realized that I forgot to add my </sarcasm> tag. My bad. Geez... :)

You know, because I was really going to go drop 5 grand on caulk and go around to every lamp post in the city...</sarcasm> (see I remembered this time!)

And for the record, nobody hates my caches...

Edited by ThePropers

So the skirt is obviously a weather cover, at least I would think. This could be new type of Lamp post hide, 5 star terrain (special tools and equipment required). In this case, a Crescent wrench. If you want to make it really hard, make it so they need a metric Crescent wrench :)

Don't forget folks, you need to add battery fluid to your GPS. It really helps get a better signal.

Aren't all crescent wrenches metric?

cres3.JPG

Hmm... ya learn something new every day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrench

Aparently Crescent Wrench is a trademark for an improved type of "adjustable" wrench.

And I always thought is was another name for a "open ended" wrench, or "spanner" as the british call them.

An American spanner is different. It's got notches... And should never be confused with an American Spaniel, which has teeth and a waggy tail. :)

I can see it now....

"Ok one bolt out, two, three, the last. Pick up and ........UH OH!!!!!!!!! TIMBER!!!!!!" "Dang, wrong bolts......"

I actually have one parking lot hide but the best part is when they pick up the light pole cover. Under it I put a card on each side that says "Nope, not under here. Keep looking" LOL People get a kick out of that.

You mean there's some other way to play? Ignorance is no excuse...

I've got one of those. Left handed version, too. Cost a little extra, but for a good quality hard to find tool it's worth it!

I agree totally. Gotta love the nature !!

In general, I don't get a kick out of Wal-mart hides. I would say their "Lame", but I'll go ahead and find them, I'm not real picky. I have considered hiding them a few times, like at the new Wal-mart here, but since most my hides are hard, and usually in a wooded area, I've been trying to stay that way.

I found it interesting that the skirts were screwed down, (I guess I said bolted down, but I'm not sure how their attached, they just won't come up.) because of the threads I've seen where Wal-Mart got upset about caches on their property. And I was curious if it was because of cachers.

Found a lamp pole yesterday that has been there for many years. The screws were longer than normal and caught the square edge of the base of the pole and made it where it would not come up enough to squeeze a film can underneath. A thin altoids tin would go but if it slipped too far it woud require some extra work to recover. Cache was actually in a nearby shrub and a decoy film can was intened for the skirt.

I found it interesting that the skirts were screwed down, (I guess I said bolted down, but I'm not sure how their attached, they just won't come up.)

Sometimes a little persistence is all you need to get up a skirt that seems to be stuck down ^_^

A lamppost skirt, of course.

:):lol::)

Edited by ParrotRob

I am so glad I've never seen a Wal-Mart cache, they sound like they just plain suck.

If one day my GPS ever points me at a store parking lot, I'll delete that waypoint and move on.

Actually, you'll probably think your first find of one of those is cool. Problem is when your area gets overrun with them...which is what has happened in a growing number of metro areas.

Also, please note that references to "Wal-Mart Lamppost Micros" on these forums and elsewhere actually represent references to ANY parking lot micro hide - a hide in an uninteresting, uninspired location whose sole value is to provide hiders and searchers alike with a quick stat. It just so happens that this type of hide was popularized in some regions by being done in Wal-Mart parking lots.

I am so glad I've never seen a Wal-Mart cache, they sound like they just plain suck.

If one day my GPS ever points me at a store parking lot, I'll delete that waypoint and move on.

Actually, you'll probably think your first find of one of those is cool. Problem is when your area gets overrun with them...which is what has happened in a growing number of metro areas.

Also, please note that references to "Wal-Mart Lamppost Micros" on these forums and elsewhere actually represent references to ANY parking lot micro hide - a hide in an uninteresting, uninspired location whose sole value is to provide hiders and searchers alike with a quick stat. It just so happens that this type of hide was popularized in some regions by being done in Wal-Mart parking lots.

I doubt I'll enjoy any hide that takes me to a store that:

1. I hate

2. I already know where it is

and 3. Has no redeeming quality whatsoever.

I pray we never have an idiot saturate this area with hides of this type.

Edited by Tsmola

1. I hate

What, you mean "yet another stat, whoopity doo, isn't this so much better than not having a cache here at all?" is not a redeeming quality?? </sarcasm>

I had the same idea. Just a few days ago I bolted down the lampost skirts at a new Wal-mart in South Central KY :wub:

Funny, I was looking for a place to hide a magnetized cache the other day...

On the 'secluded' side of the shopping center I noticed that the lamp post skirts were all bolted down, but not in the main part of the parking area. Turns out it is because the bums that live in the bushes behind the shopping center would steal stuff and if they thought they were being chased, they'd hide their ill gotten gains under the lamp post skirts. Therefor, management had them bolted down to make recovery of the stolen loot a bit easier. Weird. That knowledge made me decide to avoid that shopping center all together. Why would I hide a cache someplace that the bums were watching?

And just so you don't think I hide all of my caches in shopping centers... I had hid a beautifully camoflauged ammo can stuffed with goodies as one of the special caches for our annual summer event here, along this wonderful but not so well maintained trail along a neat little creek. Turns out that the local homeless population must have been watching all of my visits. The cache was found on the day of the event (by those who attended the event), but within two days after the cache went missing. Some homeless guy has a great 50 cal. ammo can to hide his hooch in now. That really sucks.

1. I hate

I guess it should be noted that what we call a Wal-Mart micro is actually a lamp post micro. It could be in any parking lot.

By the way, isn't a Supercenter coming to Paw Paw?

1. I hate

I guess it should be noted that what we call a Wal-Mart micro is actually a lamp post micro. It could be in any parking lot.

By the way, isn't a Supercenter coming to Paw Paw?

I've been hearing that for years, even if it is I don't shop at Wal-Mart and I can guarentee you won't see me hiding one at it if there is one built, or seeking one put there either for that matter.

And why, exactly, is that such a "problem"? It's not like all the lamppost micros out there somehow interfere with your ability to hide and/or find them elsewhere. That's like saying that the proliferation of fast food restaurants on every corner somehow hinders your ability to enjoy the finer restaurants in town. Why is it so hard for people to just turn a blind eye to those things / caches they do not like?

It would be different if the cache saturation rules called for, say, only 1 cache per square mile so you couldn't get anywhere near a Wal Mart - but for god's sake, the stupid WalMart parking lot itself is probably much more than 528 feet long and there is probably no way in hell the WalMart caches are impeding your hides and finds in other locations.

1. I hate

Oh, the lamppost micros are coming. It's only a matter of time. All it takes is someone who finds a few outside the area, and thinks it's a great idea that needs to be copied. Or who knows, maybe an established lamo micro hider will relocate to your area. Really, no one knows how they happen, they just do. Still, no reason to call them idiots :lol:

To get this thread more or less back on topic:

I've sometimes wondered why the covers weren't fastened down. Isn't there a possibility of vandalism? As in "Hey, all we have to do is lift up these covers and snip some wires and this whole part of the parking lot will be dark." Yes, if they have the tools to cut the wires they would also have the tools to unbolt the cover, but it would take longer and time is generally the enemy of criminals.

I used to be an electricians helper for a spell. sounds like it just a different design of lightpost. I don't think for a minute that walmart would be so worried about geocaches to petition the lamppost makers to design a new skirt design and change manufacturing so they can cut down on the number of caches.

case in point is the ban on overnight truck an camper parking. you still see them parked there.

Erik

Today while doing a quick tour with the mayor and public works director of a small town, I saw some nolstalgic light poles. They had two part skirts. The bottom one must have weighted 50 lbs and the top 5 or 10. My first thought was "does this have potential for a cache?" My second thought was to wonder if I could push it back in place since it looked like someone had hit it with their car. Turns out I could and that proved that there was no way that anyone could reasonably lift it to find the cache. Oh well.

I thought a cache had to have property owners permission to be placed. If caches are placed in parking lots without permission, this could result in the game being ruined for all. Just a thought

How did this thread come back to life??? Yes, it's as plain as the nose on your face that 99% of these caches are placed without permission. But the reviewers assume they were, because everyone checks the little box saying they've read and comply with the guidelines when submitting a cache. But it is nice to know there is at least one other person out there who shares my opinion ;)

I hear all about these horrible parking lot micros but have never seen or found one. Granted we don't seek out micros because we like to trade cache crap (swag to those in Rio Linda), but what area of the US has them?

Since WalMart is private property, wouldn't the cache owner have to seek permission first?

Edited by brodiebunch

I hear all about these horrible parking lot micros but have never seen or found one. Granted we don't seek out micros because we like to trade cache crap (swag to those in Rio Linda), but what area of the US has them?

Since WalMart is private property, wouldn't the cache owner have to seek permission first?

Of course. My pet peeve, and if you looked in my profile and checked out "forum posts by this user". You'd probably find 50 of my barely over 100 posts were on this subject. Maybe I should post about something else sometime :) But ultimately, no one cares, and there is never a shortage of knuckleheads who run out and gleefully find Wally World Micros, so they'll just keep coming.

When I started caching in January, the ONLY cache in my town was a lamp post micro. I remember how thrilled I was to find it. It was the start to my geocaching obsession! I agree with others & say if you don't like them, don't look for them! There is a nifty "ignore listing" option that will let you take them off your list.